Holmgren doesn't see Flyers making major move

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm fine with this.....no panic

Posted some interesting comments on Hartnell's important to G and Jagr's in a couple of other threads...

Despite the Flyers' terribly inconsistent play and the very tightness of this lockout-shortened season, general manager Paul Holmgren says he is not going to pull the trigger on a major deal.

“I think we have a nucleus of good, young players,†Holmgren said Tuesday night before the Flyers' taunt 3-2 win over the Jets.

“To talk about disrupting that is not something that I am in favor of doing. We have not played exactly how I thought we would have played.

“We’re missing some key people [Scott Hartnell and Andrej Meszaros] right now. We can’t use that as an excuse. Other teams have similar issues going. We’re going to ride this out for now.

“I don’t anticipate doing anything. Obviously, there is lots of talk going on right now. Everyone is doing their due diligence, but I don’t foresee us making a move.â€

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/holmgren-doesnt-see-flyers-making-major-move

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I appreciate the post, but Homer lies through his teeth constantly. I really like him as GM, but you can't believe a word he says that relates to trades.

FlyingHigh28*

I'm fine with this.....no panic

Posted some interesting comments on Hartnell's important to G and Jagr's in a couple of other threads...

Oh god, if Holmgren says no major move is coming, then you know a big panic trade is on the immediate horizon! Please don't let it be Giroux, IT'S JUST A SLUMP!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hope he's being serious.

Don%27t%20Panic.jpg

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
What I got from this article is: maybe Homer kicked all the tires he could to get something done and nobody was willing to play, or really it just means a big trade is on the horizon, Homer lies like a politician

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think he's being straight forward. For the first time since he's taken over as GM, I think he's clued in that he can't buy his way out of things and that he's going to have to build through the draft and spend wisely on free agents. When the cap comes down next year, Holmgren knows he's in trouble and that he's going to have to rely on a bunch of first year players with minimal contracts. He swung for the fences with the Pronger moved, he missed and now he's going to retool. Nothing wrong with that approach at all.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think he's being straight forward. For the first time since he's taken over as GM, I think he's clued in that he can't buy his way out of things and that he's going to have to build through the draft and spend wisely on free agents. When the cap comes down next year, Holmgren knows he's in trouble and that he's going to have to rely on a bunch of first year players with minimal contracts. He swung for the fences with the Pronger moved, he missed and now he's going to retool. Nothing wrong with that approach at all.

I'm hoping this is the case. I mean...being in a position where you have to trade your core players to put off impending doom for a few years should have been a wakeup call. Striking out completely last offseason should have been another. Put the two together, and one would hope it's made the organization shift gears.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I pretty much agree with those who say that we should now expect a huge deal. I agree with what Holmgren says - we really need to just wait this season out, hope we gel and make the playoffs but don't panic if we don't make them. But whenever Holmgren says something like this, I expect the opposite.

I really hope we hold on to our 1st round pick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I love the "he's lying" comments. Whenever Homer says something people don't like or doesn't fit their picture of Homer as the bumbling idiot, he is lying. When it is something they like or it supports their bumbling idiot characterization, he's telling the truth.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I love the "he's lying" comments. Whenever Homer says something people don't like or doesn't fit their picture of Homer as the bumbling idiot, he is lying. When it is something they like or it supports their bumbling idiot characterization, he's telling the truth.

He does have a pretty established history of saying one thing then doing the other.

I'm leaning towards truth on this one, because I can't think of any moves that don't leave the Flyers worse off. Homer is surely more creative than me in that department; but still, what assets can we really afford to lose, unless Homer manages to fleece someone?

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
No major moves this season? I like it.

Let the young guys develop.

But I fully expect him to go hard after Perry at the FA if he's available.

If he tests the market, he'll be a Flyer and Briere will be gone.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
We all have to remember that his boss is 80 years old and wants a cup before he sees the other side of the dirt. So even though Homer wants to be patient, big boss man doesn't have the time for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->