Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
No. But if a POS made good work, it's good work. What he does outside of that work shouldn't stop anyone from recognizing it as good work. If you don't want to give him/her funds to create, that's fine. But if he is able to create and he creatrs something good - or the best of that year - recognize it and it shouldn't be implied that an artist can't have his work recognized because he misbehaves outside of that context. It's an unnecessary, non-artistic label to put upon an artistic work. It's inconsequential.

There is a significant difference between “misbehaving” and using power and influence to cause significant harm.

I used to love Woody Allen movies. Now, I won’t watch a minute of a single film he has or will do. It’s an informed choice, and that link between artist and the artistic endeavour is not remotely farcical.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Guys aren't going to admit to being sexually abused as freely as girls, either.
I take your point, but I don't think most women, for a whole bunch of reasons, "freely" admit that they were sexually assaulted either. If they did, the Harvey Weinsteins would have been outed decades ago. God knows what went on in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, though, when women (and male victims, as well) had substantially less power to have their voices heard.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
There is a significant difference between “misbehaving” and using power and influence to cause significant harm.

I used to love Woody Allen movies. Now, I won’t watch a minute of a single film he has or will do. It’s an informed choice, and that link between artist and the artistic endeavour is not remotely farcical.

I only used " misbehave " as a catch-all word and not as a way to downplay the behavior of influential men. And by all means, I have no gripe with anyone choosing not to do so - I wouldn't actually pay for a Polanski or Allen film either, but I'll stream it for free - and what I called farcical was refusing to recognize good work because of external non-artistic factors. I don't think refusing to consume art made by a person you find despicable is farcical. I don't agree with it but I can respect the reasoning behind it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not just women either. Younger men.

You've got a list of allegations against guys like Bryan Singer as well.

Not to say that it's as pervasive but still emblematic of the power disparity between young actors and old producers and directors.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/also-hard-hollywoods-men-talk-sexually-assaulted-183311472.html

With Singer there's been rumours only so far, I guess, and that big case recently was thrown out when it was revelead Singer wasn't even in the same town where the accuser was dutin alleged incidents.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Harvey Weinstein is garbage but I think only some of these allegations are true while others are making up lies for attention.

member 51464

If it turned out van Gogh was a child molester, would it diminish his art or would we just abhor him as a man? I'd say the art would still be great, but I would feel that his works were now tainted by my knowledge of his being a pedophile. But "Starry Night" would still be a great painting. Granted though, it is a really thorny issue.
I think the immediacy of it that makes it seem worse.

With Van Gogh, both he, his victims, all the children of his victims, and possibly even grandchildren or further generations would all be dead. So it would take the edge off, for lack of a better term, of any revelations of that sort.

Meanwhile, with Harvey, this isn't in the past at all. His victims live and breath and we can see their suffering firsthand. Even had Harvey died of a heart six months ago, and then everything came out, I think the reaction would be very muted.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'd also add above that consuming the art of someone with these acts on their record while they are still alive empowers them to commit more.

An artist who is deceased can't leverage continued fame and success for these purposes.

Harvey Weinstein only came to (some) justice because his success waned, and he lost the power to silence his victims.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd also add above that consuming the art of someone with these acts on their record while they are still alive empowers them to commit more.

An artist who is deceased can't leverage continued fame and success for these purposes.

Harvey Weinstein only came to (some) justice because his success waned, and he lost the power to silence his victims.

If you're handing them money, I agree. Even then, most Woody Allen are financial losers - at least at the box office - and he's still cranking one out every year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This really demonstrates the lengths people will go to succeed in Hollywood. Tragic.

Something which doesn't really get mentioned, probably because it's not politically correct to imagine, is how many women must've not objected to or even accepted his advances. After all, a man like that doesn't keep making advances on women for two decades without it ever working. It had to have worked enough in the past to justify the risk. The Hollywood casting couch surely isn't a thing of legends because it has a miserable success rate. My guess is that, for every woman that protested and tried to escape from Harvey, at least one didn't, and we're liable to never hear from most of those, since they're likely inclined to be even more hesitant to come out and admit it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Something which doesn't really get mentioned, probably because it's not politically correct to imagine, is how many women must've not objected to or even accepted his advances. After all, a man like that doesn't keep making advances on women for two decades without it ever working. It had to have worked enough in the past to justify the risk. The Hollywood casting couch surely isn't a thing of legends because it has a miserable success rate. My guess is that, for every woman that protested and tried to escape from Harvey, at least one didn't, and we're liable to never hear from most of those, since they're likely inclined to be even more hesitant to come out and admit it.

One of the original women I believe admitted to have had a consensual sexual relationship after he assaulted her.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/movies/tarantino-weinstein.html

Interesting response from Tarantino. Pretty honest, and more sincere than those making statements condemning him from people who worked closely enough that they must have known something.
I think that was a very decent thing for Tarantino to talk about. People in the know, especially men, shouldn't just turn a blind eye to it or acquiesce to it or rationalize it. This kind of sexual power tripping isn't acceptable "boys will be boys" behaviour under any circumstances. The more that message is out there loud and clear, at least some of the potential perpetrators might think twice before disgracing themselves.

Cruoris

Devourer of goals
Jul 24, 2014
Yes - to both of your questions (albeit I don't care much for the concept of an award in the conventional sense anyhow). I can see the point you're making about celebrating the artist but I think the onus is on us, the recipients of the work, to separate the art from the artist - as difficult as it may seem. If you told me that we nominate and give awards to works of art without referencing the artist, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
What if the serial killer's art was made from the bodies of his victims, and the praise his work received was what locked him into a vicious cycle of killing more and more to advance his art and seek further validation?

HeavyRemarkableChanticleer.gif

Reason for editing: Keanu wasn't cutting it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What if the serial killer's art was made from the bodies of his victims, and the praise his work received was what locked him into a vicious cycle of killing more and more to advance his art and seek further validation?

HeavyRemarkableChanticleer.gif

Reason for editing: Keanu wasn't cutting it.

I previously said major mistreatment during the making of the work didn't justify the work. :D

I think the killing of others fits this criteria.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
interesting and fair observation on him being tossed out of some high profile organizations

Roman Polanski who was convicted of rape is still a member in good standing in both organizations and Bill Cosby who had 60 rape allegations is also a member of both. If both organizations want to be taken seriously on the subject the question then becomes why haven't they been tossed

Have your answer right here.

Exley72

Oct 22, 2017
Not just women either. Younger men.

You've got a list of allegations against guys like Bryan Singer as well.

Not to say that it's as pervasive but still emblematic of the power disparity between young actors and old producers and directors.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/also-hard-hollywoods-men-talk-sexually-assaulted-183311472.html

Thank you. About the Singer allegations, there is a great doc about the pedophilia problem that was made free for viewing on YouTube. The kid who played young Bombay in Mighty Ducks was involved in it, but got away with it and is now a millionaire techbro.

Makes me sick to my stomach about how powerful people are able to get away with a lot as long as they bring in money to Hwood. Also, those saying that some of the claims must be lies, please stop. Many are feeling emboldened to speak out now because high-profile actresses spoke out first. It takes many in high places to bring down a monster, and assuming that women and men are bringing up painful experiences solely for attention is insensitive to victims.

For the ones saying victims who haven’t come forward owe us something, survivors do not owe us their story. Those who have spoken out have demonstrated courage for doing so, and those who choose to keep quiet about their abuse or assault cannot be forced to relive traumatic memories. Lastly, about the belief about women choosing to accept Weinstein’s advances, that completely disregards power imbalances and bargaining power. These women were not dying to sleep with that ugly toad. Just because they did, does not mean that they wanted to. It was an entire system that enabled Weinstein to ascend the ranks and become one of the most powerful men in the industry, while being aware in various ways of his disgusting behavior. The only way we can rid the world of this kind of culture, in Hwood and elsewhere, is to stand up for victims and to stop putting the burden on them alone to stop predatory behavior.

Some great reads:
http://www.chatelaine.com/opinion/rape-culture-for-dummies-how-to-be-an-ally/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/violence-threats-begging-harvey-weinsteins-30-year-pattern-of-abuse-in-hollywood/2017/10/14/2638b1fc-aeab-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/opinion/lupita-nyongo-harvey-weinstein.html

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Thank you. About the Singer allegations, there is a great doc about the pedophilia problem that was made free for viewing on YouTube. The kid who played young Bombay in Mighty Ducks was involved in it, but got away with it and is now a millionaire techbro.

Makes me sick to my stomach about how powerful people are able to get away with a lot as long as they bring in money to Hwood. Also, those saying that some of the claims must be lies, please stop. Many are feeling emboldened to speak out now because high-profile actresses spoke out first. It takes many in high places to bring down a monster, and assuming that women and men are bringing up painful experiences solely for attention is insensitive to victims.

For the ones saying victims who haven’t come forward owe us something, survivors do not owe us their story. Those who have spoken out have demonstrated courage for doing so, and those who choose to keep quiet about their abuse or assault cannot be forced to relive traumatic memories. Lastly, about the belief about women choosing to accept Weinstein’s advances, that completely disregards power imbalances and bargaining power. These women were not dying to sleep with that ugly toad. Just because they did, does not mean that they wanted to. It was an entire system that enabled Weinstein to ascend the ranks and become one of the most powerful men in the industry, while being aware in various ways of his disgusting behavior. The only way we can rid the world of this kind of culture, in Hwood and elsewhere, is to stand up for victims and to stop putting the burden on them alone to stop predatory behavior.

Some great reads:
http://www.chatelaine.com/opinion/rape-culture-for-dummies-how-to-be-an-ally/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/violence-threats-begging-harvey-weinsteins-30-year-pattern-of-abuse-in-hollywood/2017/10/14/2638b1fc-aeab-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/opinion/lupita-nyongo-harvey-weinstein.html

As a big Return of the Living Dead fan it was shocking to find out about Peck

Even more shocking to see Hollywood not only accept him back into industry but that he was still working around kids

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...elodeon-child-star-working-underage-kids.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad