Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If anyone owes more to him than Tarantino it could well be Kevin Smith...

Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were in a bunch of his late 90s early 00's Miramax films too... I wonder if this shame is a new feeling...

Considering how much time Smith spends with his family and his nerdy stuff, while avoiding the Hollywood scene, I can imagine that he might not have heard as much as others. If you watch Fatman On Batman, he's fairly uncensored on that and might bring up the subject in a future episode.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I agree
Considering how much time Smith spends with his family and his nerdy stuff, while avoiding the Hollywood scene, I can imagine that he might not have heard as much as others. If you watch Fatman On Batman, he's fairly uncensored on that and might bring up the subject in a future episdoe.

I agree. Say what you will about his movies or his bombastic persona, Kevin Smith has always come across as a genuiely nice dude.

Sep 19, 2008
During the football game al Michaels said the giants had a tougher week than Harvey weinstein. A lot of people took to social media to complain.

The odd thing is sexual assault has been referenced before... And a lot more strongly than what Michaels did. Honestly I don't think what he said was that bad but people are going to blow it up. I mean did you see Chappelle and Jim Jeffries stand up? Bill Cosby is repeatedly referenced. Is that offensive or insensitive?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
interesting and fair observation on him being tossed out of some high profile organizations

Roman Polanski who was convicted of rape is still a member in good standing in both organizations and Bill Cosby who had 60 rape allegations is also a member of both. If both organizations want to be taken seriously on the subject the question then becomes why haven't they been tossed

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
During the football game al Michaels said the giants had a tougher week than Harvey weinstein. A lot of people took to social media to complain.

The odd thing is sexual assault has been referenced before... And a lot more strongly than what Michaels did. Honestly I don't think what he said was that bad but people are going to blow it up. I mean did you see Chappelle and Jim Jeffries stand up? Bill Cosby is repeatedly referenced. Is that offensive or insensitive?
I don't think your comparison holds water. Both comedians are using their routines about Cosby to make points and provoke thought; Michaels made a thoughtless, flippant one-liner, and should have known better. I'd be willing to bet if he had it to do over, he would. As he should.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
my prediction is casey afleck is about to be tagged for something bad

Brie Larson has been very forthcoming over the fact that Alfeck did it to people she knows

http://time.com/4679374/oscars-2017-casey-affleck-twitter-reactions/
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...lauding-casey-affleck-oscars-spoke-for-itself

I hate the fact that a work of art or performance should not be recognized because the perpetuator of the work or the performance could be a POS. By all means, I have no respect for a man like Polanski, but the award isn't given to the most well-behaved person in the room but to the one that is judged to have created the best work of art. This underlying implication that misbehavior should stop recognizing someone's art is farcical. Only the work matters - the rest is distraction (outside of extreme situations, like major mistreatment in the making of the work for example).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hate the fact that a work of art or performance should not be recognized because the perpetuator of the work or the performance could be a POS. By all means, I have no respect for a man like Polanski, but the award isn't given to the most well-behaved person in the room but to the one that is judged to have created the best work of art. This underlying implication that misbehavior should stop recognizing someone's art is farcical. Only the work matters - the rest is distraction (outside of extreme situations, like major mistreatment in the making of the work for example).

there is a line that society likes to believe it haves.

If I suggested to you that you needed to perform a sex act on me to continue to post here? is that acceptable?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
there is a line that society likes to believe it haves.

If I suggested to you that you needed to perform a sex act on me to continue to post here? is that acceptable?

No. But if a POS made good work, it's good work. What he does outside of that work shouldn't stop anyone from recognizing it as good work. If you don't want to give him/her funds to create, that's fine. But if he is able to create and he creatrs something good - or the best of that year - recognize it and it shouldn't be implied that an artist can't have his work recognized because he misbehaves outside of that context. It's an unnecessary, non-artistic label to put upon an artistic work. It's inconsequential.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

How far does that go though?

If a serial killer made a work of art, should that piece of art be lauded and shown across the world?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If it's good, yes.

Should he receive an award for it?

What if it was Hitler? Would you give him a posthumous award?

The issue is that an award by nature not only celebrates the art, but the artist as well. You can't separate the two in that circumstance.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Should he receive an award for it?

What if it was Hitler? Would you give him a posthumous award?

The issue is that an award by nature not only celebrates the art, but the artist as well. You can't separate the two in that circumstance.

Yes - to both of your questions (albeit I don't care much for the concept of an award in the conventional sense anyhow). I can see the point you're making about celebrating the artist but I think the onus is on us, the recipients of the work, to separate the art from the artist - as difficult as it may seem. If you told me that we nominate and give awards to works of art without referencing the artist, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If it turned out van Gogh was a child molester, would it diminish his art or would we just abhor him as a man? I'd say the art would still be great, but I would feel that his works were now tainted by my knowledge of his being a pedophile. But "Starry Night" would still be a great painting. Granted though, it is a really thorny issue.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/all-the-other-harveys

Molly Ringwald wrote an article on her experience and what she had heard
That's a great article because it shows how pervasive this abuse is and how normalized it became in Hollywood.

When I first read the Weinstein story, I just brushed it off, thinking, well, that's what movie producers do, the casting room couch is part of Hollywood folk lore. I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think it through more carefully because the stories that are coming out, not just about Weinstein, show how far reaching the problem is and "the problem" is far more powerful men using their power to intimidate, demean and sexually assault younger, vulnerable women. In terms of gender equality change comes slowly, but hopefully the exposure of these men will speed up the process a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad