Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.500m) / Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.750m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

OTHER
Buried: Patrick Eaves ($0.275m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,394,545; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $915,455

Emmerton and Eaves waived. 275k caphit penalty of waiving Eaves.

There's that ~4 million room for UFA outsider like Iginla. Then we'll have ~1 million reserve for injury situations.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm now on the "SIGN PATRICK ELIAS" Bandwagon.

If there's actually a chance he hits free agency, I would hope we throw a crap load of cash his way for a 1-2 year deal. I would LOVE getting Elias for a year or two.

5-6 million per on a short contract.

Make it happen Kenny. I know we wanted him bad a few years ago.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Imagine the money we could play with if we bought out Sa-

Oh forget it. :laugh:

Now instead of being able to go after 2 solid FAs, we can pretty much get 1 very good one. But we haven't spent to the cap in a while.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's played with good players in Toronto and hasn't put up 50 points. I'd rather take Fil back than sign him. I had no idea he was asking for the type of deal he was, until I looked at some reports. Holy Crap.

Yeah, Bozak is garbage. 3rd liner that is asking 1B center salary. I'd rather have Cleary than him and that's bad!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
More re: Bozak

Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
No question Grabovski struggled in 2013. And yet, his numbers don't differ significantly from Bozak in far less ice-time & defensive role. Bozak: 18 even-strength points in 722 mins. Grabovski: 13 in 664. Bozak: 12 goals. Grabovski: 9. Bozak: 52.6% FO. Grabovski: 50.6%. Bozak played 187 more minutes than Grabovski, including 55 more on the power-play. Also doesn't factor in difference in linemates. Grabovski played with McClement, Kulemin, MacArthur, Frattin. Bozak with Kessel, JVR.

Although using one sad contract(Grabo) might not be the best comparison to gauge the next one(Bozak).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Imagine the money we could play with if we bought out Sa-

Oh forget it. :laugh:

Now instead of being able to go after 2 solid FAs, we can pretty much get 1 very good one. But we haven't spent to the cap in a while.

If we're that desperate for cap space, I'm sure we could find a deal to dump someone somewhere. We rag on Kenny for not making a move, but part of it is probably him not wanting to just dump a guy where the asset coming back wasn't worth the player we sent out. And if we can't, we can still do a regular buyout of Samuelsson or anyone else and still get a chunk of relief.

If Holland is able to bring in some guys that he really wants, I don't see having Sammy around being a huge problem.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3 min
Lots of teams reached out on Alfredsson and while Boston is most aggressive, Detroit was among teams that also called (Swedish connections)

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5 min
I think Weiss would be No. 1 option for Detroit but Bozak in there as well.. Wings still talking to Fil as well...

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 5 min
Toronto still in mix but Dal, StL, Cal, Ana and Det among teams that kicked tires on Bozak.. My sense is he'd do 5-yr deal or more

I'm an Alfredsson fan. I didn't think he'd leave Ottawa, but if he's on the market I wouldn't complain at all if we brought him in for a year. I'd be fine with a number of the older guys on short term deals.

Not big on Bozak at all.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
If we're that desperate for cap space, I'm sure we could find a deal to dump someone somewhere. We rag on Kenny for not making a move, but part of it is probably him not wanting to just dump a guy where the asset coming back wasn't worth the player we sent out. And if we can't, we can still do a regular buyout of Samuelsson or anyone else and still get a chunk of relief.

If Holland is able to bring in some guys that he really wants, I don't see having Sammy around being a huge problem.

Pretty sure the buyout option is closed Winger; there were dates and I think they happened before FA started. Not entirely sure and getting ready for a Dentist, but I don't think we can buy anyone else out till next offseason at this point.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm an Alfredsson fan. I didn't think he'd leave Ottawa, but if he's on the market I wouldn't complain at all if we brought him in for a year. I'd be fine with a number of the older guys on short term deals.

Not big on Bozak at all.

But to be clear, so it doesn't get mischaracterized later.

You're talking about older guys who *are still good and still productive.* So resigning Cleary, Bert, Sammy, isn't what you have in mind.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pretty sure the buyout option is closed Winger; there were dates and I think they happened before FA started. Not entirely sure and getting ready for a Dentist, but I don't think we can buy anyone else out till next offseason at this point.

the compliance buyouts are closed, but we can still do a normal buyout where we get hit with a 1/3 of the original cap hit.

But to be clear, so it doesn't get mischaracterized later.

You're talking about older guys who *are still good and still productive.* So resigning Cleary, Bert, Sammy, isn't what you have in mind.

Yes and no. While I wouldn't mind to see all three of those guys gone, I'm also not big on dumping on them. I think Cleary's served his purpose and it's time to part ways. But Bert and Sammy got hurt, and I'm not going to hold that against them for last season. I think they could have been as productive as we would have expected of them if their health had held up.

But I'd still rather have Alfredsson, Elias, Iginla, etc. over them.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not that he was a must-have in my book, but what happened to Stalberg? No interest in him?

Iginla: I think he wants to go to a team that has a solid chance of winning the Cup. I doubt he'll land here. It'd be a decent fit though.

Weiss: He's ok but he doesn't make the Wings bigger or grittier, and doesn't fix the problem of Babcock forcing players like Abdelkader or Cleary into top-line roles. Also, it looks like he has a number of suitors--if there's any type of bidding war, Kenny won't play ball.

Ference & Zidlicky: We have seven D and a full roster after we sign the kids. Not sure how these guys would work in. I've seen the "Just trade Q" theory floated, but who'd want him for the price he's at? So many teams are hurting for cap space and he wouldn't be the hottest commodity.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Not that he was a must-have in my book, but what happened to Stalberg? No interest in him?

I wouldn't like it at all if they let Brunner go just to sign Stalberg. Stalberg is bigger, sure, but he isn't nearly as skilled with the puck. And he's got a track record and will probably command a longer term. If they go after Stalberg instead of Cleary, DEAL.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
the compliance buyouts are closed, but we can still do a normal buyout where we get hit with a 1/3 of the original cap hit.

Yes and no. While I wouldn't mind to see all three of those guys gone, I'm also not big on dumping on them. I think Cleary's served his purpose and it's time to part ways. But Bert and Sammy got hurt, and I'm not going to hold that against them for last season. I think they could have been as productive as we would have expected of them if their health had held up.

But I'd still rather have Alfredsson, Elias, Iginla, etc. over them.

So, for Sammy and Bert: 1) How productive do you think they'll actually be? 2) Do you think their injury issues were unique to last season--that they'll be healthy next year?

Personally, I like Bert (Sammy not so much). But they aren't going to give us much at all. I think they'll either be hurt or non-effective. Also, it's a total head-shaker to see the reports of the Wings shying away from Vinny or Iginla because of "PACE", yet keep these two. Makes little sense at all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So, for Sammy and Bert: 1) How productive do you think they'll actually be? 2) Do you think their injury issues were unique to last season--that they'll be healthy next year?

Personally, I like Bert (Sammy not so much). But they aren't going to give us much at all. I think they'll either be hurt or non-effective. Also, it's a total head-shaker to see the reports of the Wings shying away from Vinny or Iginla because of "PACE", yet keep these two. Makes little sense at all.

It makes sense if you consider their contracts. Sammy and Bert are definitely gone after this year - I think Bert retires and the Wings appear to just not want Sammy around much. If you're already worried about Vinny and Iginla keeping up, and the fact that we are relying on some older guys, by NHL standards, to carry the load anyway, and not wanting to commit to Vinny and Iginla for 5 years makes more sense.

With Sammy & Bert, if healthy, I think we can expect 13-18 goals and 30-35 points and 15-16 minutes a night. Sammy's pectoral muscle thing is just weird, and I'm not sure what to think of it. The Wings say he's healthy, though, and if that's true, I don't think it'll be a problem. Bert's back is another story. It wouldn't surprise me if he is on LTIR all year with it. He's old, he's big, and backs are wonky.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/nhl...ID=3701&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This Art Regner speculation sounds most reasonable.

The Wings reached out to several players, but it appears their main targets are centers Stephen Weiss, Mike Riberio, and Matt Cullen; defensemen Andrew Ference and Marek Zidlicky – with forward Jarome Iginla still part of the conversation.

Weiss is the Wings’ primary objective; however, it’s believed that he’s seeking a five-year, $25 million dollar deal. The Wings are hesitant about signing any UFA to a long term deal.

Please no for Ribeiro and Cullen. Also don't see Holland signing any other defenceman than probably some cheap buyout guy like Komisarek or Ballard for a bargain price (easy to waived if not needed, or waive Lashoff if he sucks. Decision can be made later).

But they found out Wednesday that every coveted UFA wants at least five years, including Riberio. There's concern about whether Riberio can still play with pace, if he still has enough left to go up and down the ice and play with an agitating grit.

So if Detroit bites the bullet and commits to a player for five years, it will be Weiss over Riberio. Weiss isn’t physical, but he does play with pace.

Some talk about the pace, the new lovely word.

Yes, most important skill for Red Wings centerman is skating, we know that. They are seeking that kind of player.

The Wings continue their dialogue with their other twos UFAs, Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner, but everything still remains the same. Length of contract is holding up the Cleary deal, and Brunner’s rate is still being determined as he listens to other offers.

I'm pretty sure that Brunner will be re-signed, after the UFA market has determined his value. Great supply at current UFA market will keep the offers for Brunner reasonable. Then Holland will match the highest bid, and Damien has had nothing but desire to stay. The deal will come.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Compliance buyouts close in five hours, ten minutes.

Then there's still time! :D

Doesn't a player have to pass through waivers first? I wonder if a team could make that work - initiate the waiver process now and be allowed to finish the buyout tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad