Ansar Khan: Holland reaches out to free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
The Red Wings have had exploratory talks with the agents for Stephen Weiss (Florida), Mike Ribeiro (Washington) and Matt Cullen (Minnesota), among others.

The Red Wings have some interest in right wing Jarome Iginla, who brings many desirable qualities (offense, toughness, leadership), but also raises some concerns (he's 36 and has a lot of mileage).

The Red Wings also spoke to the agents for defensemen Andrew Ference (Boston) and Marek Zidlicky (New Jersey).

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/07/red_wings_begin_exploratory_ta.html

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Would like Ference, (and Zidlicky for that matter), while Iginla would be more of luxury a signing. That being said, and despite his age and recent struggles at Penguins, he could be very useful playing alongside Datsyuk (most importantly demoting Abdelkader to the third/fourth line).

The biggest priority must surely be a new center, with Weiss being the top target (I would assume). Ribeiro is an interesting case, and even though many might disagree, I think he could be a very good #2 for us.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
Among those names in the quotes the only ones I am personally interested in are Weiss and Iginla. According too many Boston fans Ference was pretty bad this year and while Ribeiro did have a PPG a lot of Washington fans seemed happy that he wasn't being brought back.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would like Ference, (and Zidlicky for that matter), while Iginla would be more of luxury a signing. That being said, and despite his age and recent struggles at Penguins, he could be very useful playing alongside Datsyuk (most importantly demoting Abdelkader to the third/fourth line).

The biggest priority must surely be a new center, with Weiss being the top target (I would assume). Ribeiro is an interesting case, and even though many might disagree, I think he could be a very good #2 for us.

Iginla did not struggle with the Penguins

Regular Season GP:13 G:5 A:6 P:11 PIM:9 +/-:2
Playoffs 15 4 8 12 16 -4

Now was he bad against Boston, sure, name a Pens player that wasn't.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

There's no denying Ribeiro's offensive talent, but he's just a very unlikable guy IMO.

Getting a player that can allow Datsyuk and Zetterberg to play together would be nice. We won a Cup with them often together in 08, we seen them play great together down the stretch of last season to help carry us into the playoffs, and we seen them beat Anaheim on the same line in round 1. But Babcock continues to like them more separated. Even when we had a surplus of talent he wanted them apart. I've always disagreed with it and I will continue to. Depth and insurance on two lines is nice, but I'd rather have a line that has proven the ability to carry a team and outplay any like matched against them.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
And BTW, it doesn't even have to be a center that would allow 13 and 40 to play together. Franzen can play center and I think at this point he's better at center since he actually is engaged.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Ryder:

Why not get him cheap, say "skate into zone, wait for puck, shoot and score", and then rejoice?!

I definitely like the idea of Weiss too. Heck, I'd even be ok moving Mule to center so he'd be engaged (as stated by an above post).

Iggy would be good on the cheap. But can he last another season at top-6 minutes and maintain production? He may not have that "jolt" of energy he got from new life on the Pens last season.

Seriously though, Ribeiro can kick rocks

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Can I ask a question? What's Kenny trying to pull? First he's happy and isn't willing just hand out contracts; wants to build from within. But then he reaches out to free agents in hopes of not overpaying. I'm not one to bash Holland, but jeez make up your mind.

Sign SOMEONE as long as that signing removes Cleary. If it actually comes down between Weiss or Ribeiro, who would guys choose? I like both players. Lastly, I like Ference. I wouldn't know where'd he'd fit. :/

crashman

I'd be very happy with Weiss and Iginla. Then keep trying to swing a deal for a top 4 d-man, even if its at the TDL. I'd love to see Orpik in Detroit, but I'm not sure the Pens would move him.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Iginla did not struggle with the Penguins

Regular Season GP:13 G:5 A:6 P:11 PIM:9 +/-:2
Playoffs 15 4 8 12 16 -4

Now was he bad against Boston, sure, name a Pens player that wasn't.

Vokoun! :yo:

But you´re right, statistically he did not struggle with the Penguins, although based upon the games I saw, the stats really didn´t match his actual play.

If the DRW brass think they can get good production correlating to a decent cap hit, I am all in on signing him as I have always liked him.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
With Filppula, Sammy, and Cleary (I hope) gone, and assuming that Brunner is not resigned. Getting Weiss and Iginla is nice, we would have something like this:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Iginla
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Abdelkader - Helm - Tatar
Miller - Andersson - Bertuzzi/Eaves

I don't think that's too bad, Filppula replaced by Weiss and Brunner replaced by Iginla. We're still gonna need depth in case we have injuries but that's where we can use guys like Emmerton/Tootoo if they're still around and also the possibility of younger guys like Jurco, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, etc.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Can I ask a question? What's Kenny trying to pull? First he's happy and isn't willing just hand out contracts; wants to build from within. But then he reaches out to free agents in hopes of not overpaying. I'm not one to bash Holland, but jeez make up your mind.

Trying to fill the 2nd line center void after Fil(which he couldn't fill either, no pun intended) because they want Z and Pavel to play together.

But I don't think he's interested in long term for a guy who's already pushing 30, it just doesn't fit in with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen's deals and ages and the possibility of Jarnkrok being ready for 2nd line duty in 2-3 years. So he want it both ways, but will probably end up empty handed because of it. Since Cullen is mentioned in OP, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the guy he ends up paying. He's old enough to accept a two year deal. That seems extremely Holland-ish.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
of the 3, the best player is ribeiro. he's also the one i dislike the most.
the most likely to accept a reduced contract and 1-2 years is cullen. but he is the least productive and imo is more of a 3rd line centre who plays special teams than a 2nd line centre, at least on a team wanting to be a contender.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
of the 3, the best player is ribeiro. he's also the one i dislike the most.
the most likely to accept a reduced contract and 1-2 years is cullen. but he is the least productive and imo is more of a 3rd line centre who plays special teams than a 2nd line centre, at least on a team wanting to be a contender.

Yup totally agree. But it could, not saying it will, but it could work with Cullen if you're rolling three lines that can score. Also a good faceoff guy.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Franzen-Brunner
Tatar-Cullen-?

or

Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
?-Cullen-Brunner

Not as sexy if you put him as a 2nd line center.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Yup totally agree. But it could, not saying it will, but it could work with Cullen if you're rolling three lines that can score. Also a good faceoff guy.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Franzen-Brunner
Tatar-Cullen-?

or

Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
?-Cullen-Brunner

Not as sexy if you put him as a 2nd line center.

very true, i wouldn't be opposed to that kind of set-up at all.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i would puke if we signed riberio

he is a rat faced weasel, yes he puts up points but he does it while everyone wants to punch him in the face teammates incld

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
This will be an interesting day... To say the least. We'll get a better picture of who the buyers are by tonight. There are still some teams that need to clear space.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Really don't want Weiss. Really. Don't.

Well you're in luck! Holland is the GM of this team, so we won't get him!

Would Iggy be like a 1 year signing? Because he's a full 3 years older than Vinny and we passed on him because of term, apparently. Is that us saying "we're going for it" this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad