News Article: Holland news conference Tuesday at 10 Edmonton time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
These local ****ing media shills better relentlessly grill him.

They won’t though.

“So, Ken looks like the guys are really trying hard out there. What moral victories can you take from this?”

I have no idea how the effort has been the last 3 games, don’t care. I’ve quit watching for the first time in my entire life as a fan. This is worse than the decade of darkness right now for me.

Because there is world class talent on the team but even they've checked out, that's how deep the issues with this organization are. They always pretend like they're turning over a new leaf and things are going to change but nothing really does. Nicholson has to go, Holland sitting on his hands and showing why he failed in Detroit, Tippett absolutely clueless and Schwartz dodging more bullets than Keanu in the Matrix. So tired of this f***ing team.

Reactions: McDrai

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Holland maybe testing the water here with the acceptability of Kane in Edmonton with his presser.​

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is why Red Wings fans hated him:

Screenshot_20220110-192022_(1).png

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I think most of the crowd here won't be pleased unless Holland plunks the cup on the desk and says, "I know it's only January 11th, but we won the cup." The excitement will only last about 20 seconds before the crowd gets back to its usual grousing.

Reactions: LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think most of the crowd here won't be pleased unless Holland plunks the cup on the desk and says, "I know it's only January 11th, but we won the cup." The excitement will only last about 20 seconds before the crowd gets back to its usual grousing.
I mean he isn’t going to say anything of value tomorrow so I don’t know how anyone can be dissapointed. It’s a nothing presser

Reactions: Smartguy

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
This hurts to read.
In hindsight sure, but at the time that was the core of our middle 6 and if the Oilers had depth players of that caliber they wouldn't be in their current tailspin. Sometimes those kind of signings work out (like in Tampa) and sometimes players don't meet their projections or get injured. Abdelkader was great until he Kronwall'd himself out of a job, Helm was great at everything except he could only shoot pucks at the logo on the goalie's chest, Neilsen never lived up to expectations, but it was a couple years before he actually became detrimental to the team.

Holland definitely had trouble adapting to the cap era, but if you look at his record in Detroit he showed he learned from his mistakes. Haters act like he was signing those long term loyalty contracts every season those players were on the roster, and still bitch about them even though they're gone. However, he stopped handing out contracts like that after that core failed to meet expectations.

RNH and Nurse were his only big contract handouts and I'd argue he did not have a choice about signing them long term. Even with RNH the Oilers have a center depth issue and his cap hit is solid. The Nurse debate can go in circles forever and will only be settled like 7 years from now, but with losing Larsson and Klefbom in the same summer there was zero option besides giving Nurse market value and term - he's not the best #1 D in the league but there were/are zero replacement options.

Be patient for now, the last of the bad Chia contracts come off the books this summer. There's also plenty of time to salvage this season and make the playoffs.

OilersSnowFan

Aug 27, 2019
penticton
globalnews.ca
He sweet talked the stanley family to award us the cup permanently

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
In hindsight sure, but at the time that was the core of our middle 6 and if the Oilers had depth players of that caliber they wouldn't be in their current tailspin. Sometimes those kind of signings work out (like in Tampa) and sometimes players don't meet their projections or get injured. Abdelkader was great until he Kronwall'd himself out of a job, Helm was great at everything except he could only shoot pucks at the logo on the goalie's chest, Neilsen never lived up to expectations, but it was a couple years before he actually became detrimental to the team.

Holland definitely had trouble adapting to the cap era, but if you look at his record in Detroit he showed he learned from his mistakes. Haters act like he was signing those long term loyalty contracts every season those players were on the roster, and still bitch about them even though they're gone. However, he stopped handing out contracts like that after that core failed to meet expectations.

RNH and Nurse were his only big contract handouts and I'd argue he did not have a choice about signing them long term. Even with RNH the Oilers have a center depth issue and his cap hit is solid. The Nurse debate can go in circles forever and will only be settled like 7 years from now, but with losing Larsson and Klefbom in the same summer there was zero option besides giving Nurse market value and term - he's not the best #1 D in the league but there were/are zero replacement options.

Be patient for now, the last of the bad Chia contracts come off the books this summer. There's also plenty of time to salvage this season and make the playoffs.

Good posting.
Yes, two lost Ds, Nuge signing ar reasonable term and cap, while being a flexible center.
Nurse cap is ugly, but maybe, what could he do, i guess.
KRussell, Koskinen gone from the book is gonna be good. All freed up money goes to Jesse and Bouch, probably a bridge on Bouch.
And another shot at playoff in spring.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Sadly "effort" seems to be the new low bar. Execution at a base level expected from NHL players - forget that. We are now just happy if they appear to be trying.

Effort has been better the last few games, but I don't really give a shit about that. Effort should be a given, the fact that we have to give out brownie points for it now is pathetic.
If we pick up Kane there will be ribbons for participation. Show up and you will be rewarded.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What's the point of this? All it's going to do is frustrate an already frustrated fanbase even more. We've already seen these flailing GM press conferences many times when the ship is sinking and it's NEVER good, especially the final MacT presser which was an utter disaster and THE low point of the Decade of Darkness.

He needs to just stay behind the scenes, keep quiet, and get to work to try to fix this mess, his mess. It's not like he's going to give any intel of worth.

Reactions: McDrai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad