Pre-Game Talk: Holland, Komarov, to return | Leafs @ Devils | Wednesday, January 28th | 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

Fans that constantly bash Phaneuf will finally see how bad the Leafs truly are. People think the Leafs are bad with Phaneuf, wait til they see how bad they are without him.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
why is Percy not slotting in on the LD? Did I miss some important new or something?

Holzer-Franson pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. If you thought Phaneuf-Kostka/Holzer was bad, wait for this pairing to hit the ice :laugh:

Seriously though why not Percy?

No clue. It's a LHD D-man who gets injured and we call up a RHD to replace him???

On top of that, Holzer belongs nowhere near the top-pairing.

They seriously couldn't have brought Percy up instead and given Rielly a shot on the top-pairing???

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Guys, seriously people think playing without Dion is going to matter?

As in, the same 'Captain' who has been around for four years of utter failure and never raised his game and lead his team to victory when they need it most?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
New-look Leaf lines today: Komarov-Kadri-Kessel. van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Clarkson. Winnik-Holland-Santorelli. Panik/Booth-Smith-Lupul.

Lupul on the 4th line, maybe for less minutes for a complete recovery.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They should just go back to playing run and gun. They can't really play the other way. They will give up the same amount of goals as they do now trying to play defensively.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Based on practice today does not appear as though Joffrey Lupul will return from injury tomorrow in NJ.

Leafs new-look top power-play (minus Phaneuf): Gardiner/Kadri on points, van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel up front.

No Franson on top PP pairing

David Booth was just forced out of Leaf practice with an apparent injury. Left the ice accompanied by a member of team's medical staff

David Alter @dalter
Booth is back at practice. left earlier. #TMLtalk

Last edited:

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Holzer - Franson as a top pairing sounds laughably bad. I'd love to know who came up with that one.

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
I hope the Leafs don't develop a loser mentality in the long-term. Even if the leafs acquire a top 10 pick, what's the point of that if he's surrounded by players who just give up when the times are rough. You gotta trade those players before that mentality spreads into the locker room. It might be too late for the Leafs, unless they go on a roll and make it into the playoffs. If the leafs can make it in, I think they will be able to finally start believing in themselves.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Fans that constantly bash Phaneuf will finally see how bad the Leafs truly are. People think the Leafs are bad with Phaneuf, wait til they see how bad they are without him.

This is what I'm thinking too. I can't believe I've defending him (something you can't accuse the other Leafs plays of doing, especially seeing what Staal did and how it wen't essentially unnoticed) but he's far too maligned here.

I hope the Leafs don't develop a loser mentality in the long-term. Even if the leafs acquire a top 10 pick, what's the point of that if he's surrounded by players who just give up when the times are rough. You gotta trade those players before that mentality spreads into the locker room. It might be too late for the Leafs, unless they go on a roll and make it into the playoffs. If the leafs can make it in, I think they will be able to finally start believing in themselves.

If the last decade hasn't created a loser mentality, I'm not sure what else possibly could.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 4m4 minutes ago
Does look like Leafs will have both Peter Holland and Leo Komarov back tomorrow. Robidas will remain out. Lupul is questionable.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Based on practice today does not appear as though Joffrey Lupul will return from injury tomorrow in NJ.

Leafs new-look top power-play (minus Phaneuf): Gardiner/Kadri on points, van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel up front.

No Franson on top PP pairing

David Booth was just forced out of Leaf practice with an apparent injury. Left the ice accompanied by a member of team's medical staff

David Alter @dalter
Booth is back at practice. left earlier. #TMLtalk

Why wouldn't they have Franson's big point shot on the 1PP with Kadri the other point man?

TL12

Cam Barker MVP
Jan 3, 2014
Vancouver
This is what I'm thinking too. I can't believe I've defending him (something you can't accuse the other Leafs plays of doing, especially seeing what Staal did and how it wen't essentially unnoticed) but he's far too maligned here.

If the last decade hasn't created a loser mentality, I'm not sure what else possibly could.

The Leafs showed that they have the ability to make it in the playoffs, but we need to start winning games. I would rather TO grab a 20th round pick band bring him to a competitive group than a top 5 pick that might not get the leafs out of the hole they put themselves in. Oilers know that all too well.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Do you truly, honestly, firmly believe that?

Do you watch a game and say "oh thank god for Phaneuf here, otherwise we would have been creamed."

Do you sit back and say "wow, what a presence he's shown tonight."

Do you watch him and think "I wish he could be on the ice more."

I think none of these things.

Phaneuf is an NHL caliber dman no doubt. He's not brutal. But he's not a GOOD dman either. I would wager we won't see 1 iota of difference with or without him in the lineup. Not a lick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad