Line Combos: Holland-Kadri-Leivo

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bouncing back from an 11pt season ain't that difficult. The question is will he bounce back to just being bad instead of plain awful?

He'll never live up to the money he got but he needs to contribute or get in the press box. Was he ever scratched healthy this year?

We will see, even last year, all I expected from him was 20-20.

My expectations were never he was a 30 goal scorer. 60 point fwd. Some people were unrealistic. Look, he was bad last year, but some people just have their scape goats here when there were other players to blame too.

He was lost last year and he didn't earn his paycheque. But I also know what kind of guy he is, I think Shanny coming in will reinvigorate him.

If he can produce 20-20, be physical, stand up for teammates, agitate, be a net presence, play sound D. I will have no problem with him.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I think Leivo is gonna be a beast. One of my favorite marlies to watch.

Leivo Holland Komorav is what I'd like to see as the 3rd line

Problem with that being 3rd line, it means Clarkson would be more then likely be put on the second line. He is just not good enough, or fast enough to cover his mistakes. Should be on the 3 or 4 line. Man do we have so many holes. Lol, 1 playoff appearance in the last decade, and this is the team we got. Guess it could always be worse.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Me neither

At this point I'd give him a pat on the back for a 30pt season with some grit

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He was a product of a system in New Jersey and has been exposed as an ECHL player in Toronto. He is one of the least talented players that I've ever seen on this team. Unless the team magically starts to play like New Jersey all of the sudden, it will be more of the same. And I really hope we don't start playing like New Jersey... I like real hockey.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was a product of a system in New Jersey and has been exposed as an ECHL player in Toronto. He is one of the least talented players that I've ever seen on this team. Unless the team magically starts to play like New Jersey all of the sudden, it will be more of the same. And I really hope we don't start playing like New Jersey... I like real hockey.

If Steve Spott ever becomes the Leafs Head Coach, Clarkson will benefit the most from this.

Spott and Deboer are twin coaches in style.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Problem with that being 3rd line, it means Clarkson would be more then likely be put on the second line. He is just not good enough, or fast enough to cover his mistakes. Should be on the 3 or 4 line. Man do we have so many holes. Lol, 1 playoff appearance in the last decade, and this is the team we got. Guess it could always be worse.

Clarkson doesn't deserve ice time period with what he did last year. Any rookie should get a look before him. I understand there's pressure because you signed him and it looks bad on management if they scratch him but they're has to be a line.

He should be happy to play on the 4th line. I'll be upset if he isn't starting the season. Unless he drinks gretzky blood or something and has a lights out pre-season

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
This line only needs like 15 minutes a night... I dont get how Kulemin is a better option then Leivo... Kulemin is a terrible offensive player, sure he can shoot but he has no vision or offensive instincts, and terrible puck controll.. What Kulemin is is a strong skater with a big body and a pretty good defensive player.

Leivo has offensive instincts and a lot of skill where he can drive possesion and create offense.

Holland-Kadri-Leivo line isnt about experience, its about a line where every player on the line can contribute on the cycle, all of them can forecheck well, all of them can skate well, all of them have good hands and vision, and all of them can score... Its not a small line either, only issue is experience, but skill trumps experience.

It doesnt even have to be Holland-Kadri-Leivo necessarily, but adding Holland and Leivo to our winger core next year adds two cheap contracts that are big bodys who can get it done in all areas of the ice and be a constant threat offensively.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My main problem with Kadri and Lupul together is you are going to need a real strong defensive winger to counterbalance their defensive weaknesses. Kessel is probably a better defensive player than them which is pretty scary if you are the coach.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Clarkson doesn't deserve ice time period with what he did last year. Any rookie should get a look before him. I understand there's pressure because you signed him and it looks bad on management if they scratch him but they're has to be a line.

He should be happy to play on the 4th line. I'll be upset if he isn't starting the season. Unless he drinks gretzky blood or something and has a lights out pre-season

I would be happy with him in the press box. What a terrible signing. :help:

mikebel111*

My main problem with Kadri and Lupul together is you are going to need a real strong defensive winger to counterbalance their defensive weaknesses. Kessel is probably a better defensive player than them which is pretty scary if you are the coach.

Kadri is a better defensive player than them both

mikebel111*

That explains a lot.

Its no joke. You can clearly see that Kadri actually tries to make an effort on defence and has a pretty active stick for most part. Kadri though is also very average defensively

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Lupul - Kadri - Frattin

Kinda miss Frattin, he wasnt the guy that consistently scored, but he would score in spurts(I remmeber he had something like 5 goals in 6 games or something for one stretch, helping us get a few wins in 12-13).

We badly missed that scoring depth and I dont think people realize this. Our Top 6 had a very similar production, it was our bottom 6 that was much better last year, this year our Bottom 6 had horrendous chemistry

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Problem with Clarkson is that he doesn't have the IQ to play with linemates that play an East-West game. He's the type of forward that goes to the net and fights for rebounds. Kadri doesn't really need that kind of linemate since he's a lot more involved. Instead, he needs a defensive sound forward that can distribute the puck well.

Clarkson - Two-way C - Kessel would make a lot more sense. Problem is, JVR works so well on the top line even though it would be interesting see him play with Kadri. If we move Kadri for a two-way C, and have a JVR - Holland - Lupul line, it could be quite productive as well.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Its no joke. You can clearly see that Kadri actually tries to make an effort on defence and has a pretty active stick for most part. Kadri though is also very average defensively
I am not sure if Kadri is better defensively than Kessel. If anything, Phil is pretty effective when it comes to limiting goals when he's on his game. On the top line, while up against the toughest lines, he gave up less goals per 60 minutes than Bozak or JVR. Yes, Kessel's D game isn't consistent, but when he wants to, he can easily strip pucks off of puck strong forwards like Jagr.

mikebel111*

I am not sure if Kadri is better defensively than Kessel. If anything, Phil is pretty effective when it comes to limiting goals when he's on his game. On the top line, while up against the toughest lines, he gave up less goals per 60 minutes than Bozak or JVR. Yes, Kessel's D game isn't consistent, but when he wants to, he can easily strip pucks off of puck strong forwards like Jagr.
I do agree with that. My point is Kadri's effort on defence is a little better than Kessel's. However when Kessel tries he is better

officialmark*

Oh my god this is awful. The only possible way we should do this is if we're tanking. Some people...

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'd like to try this:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Holland - Clarkson
Leivo - Kadri - (Kulemin)
D'Amigo - (McClement) - Bodie

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Some people... no, we can't play rookies, because even if it worked again and again on other teams, it won't work in Toronto. We need Free Agents that sound good on paper to continue our successful play of the last 10 years.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'd rather see D'Amigo - Holland - Ashton put together as our 4th line, and give them minutes, unlike how Carlyle used our 4th line last year.

Ideally, I'd like to see this:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Moulson - Stastny - Kadri
Komarov - Bolland - Clarkson
D'Amigo - Holland - Ashton

Phaneuf - D through FA or trade
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason

Bernier
Greiss

I'd love to see more work to the D than just that, but I doubt it happens, so I'm trying to stay somewhat reasonable here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some people... no, we can't play rookies, because even if it worked again and again on other teams, it won't work in Toronto. We need Free Agents that sound good on paper to continue our successful play of the last 10 years.

Here is the good news .. Leafs have painted themselves into a tight corner with their cap situation next year with only 11 players signed and nearly $50 mil committed. So this would put a serious strain on UFA spending and in turn place the importance of filling out the roster with cap friendly contracts.

Players like Holland, D'Amigo, Ashton are having strong AHL playoffs and by doing so opening the door for potential NHL jobs next year.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
If Lupul is moved, I would like to see Holland on Kadri's wing. He's a good finisher who could have the same kind of success as Frattin and Macarthur playing with Kadri. But I don't see Leivo as a good guy to complete the trio. A Kulemin-category player with size and decent speed who can win some puck battles and play defence would be the ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad