Confirmed with Link: Holden to Boston for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

BruinsNetwork

Does he have any upside to be a bottom pair guy?

Absolutely, and I don’t think he looked out of place during his short-stint for the Bruins earlier in the year. He made some fatal-mistakes that helped contribute to goals-against, but that’s part of the learning process for a young player.

He’s been playing his off-side for a while now in Providence to accommodate either Zboril or Lauzon on the left-side, but he will have an opportunity to play his natural position now.

He’s a player I’ve had plenty of time for and all of the coaches/scouts/players I’ve spoken with down in Providence have had good things to say.

His potential from my assessment is honestly that of a puck-moving, smooth-skating defender who can play on the 2nd-pair. Will he ever reach the 2nd-pair? That’s yet to be seen, especially with AV as a coach, but he has the tools and skating-ability to be that kind of player.

I think he’s going to end up being an above-average 3rd-pair defender who can move & carry the puck well. He’s not overly-physical and really needs to work on that, along with working on his ability to clear the crease, but be patient with him. When he plays for the Rangers, watch his skating-ability as it really is top-notch.

Sorry for the density of this post, but I’ve watched & followed ROG for a while now— I’m still a fan and hope the best for him!

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Feel bad but then I think "Wonder how much money he could've left on the table in exchange for a NMC?" It's a business and they get paid millions of dollars to be trade-able commodities. Don't want to be? Take less money in exchange for security.
Don’t take less money.. they always end up asking you to waive then pressuring you to do it. The nmc only ruins relationships with the FO.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Feel bad but then I think "Wonder how much money he could've left on the table in exchange for a NMC?" It's a business and they get paid millions of dollars to be trade-able commodities. Don't want to be? Take less money in exchange for security.
What? Holden is the luckiest guy on the roster right now. Escaping this dumpster fire team with its brain dead “coach” is a godsend.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
im completely fine with this, a third round pick isnt terrible at all
I'd bet any amount of money that the 3rd we just got will go alongside an upcoming trade to nail what we really want. Whther that be alongside shipping someone out and getting a higher pick or a teams high prospect we're targeting.
Someday......we may be thanking Holden sincerely for getting us that 3rd. May really come into play here soon.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd bet any amount of money that the 3rd we just got will go alongside an upcoming trade to nail what we really want. Whther that be alongside shipping someone out and getting a higher pick or a teams high prospect we're targeting.
Someday......we may be thanking Holden sincerely for getting us that 3rd. May really come into play here soon.

Well, we drafted Buchnevich with the 3rd rounder we got in the Nash trade. In hindsight: Nash, Buchnevich, Delisle for Anisimov, Dubinksky, Erixon, Rychel.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Chances are Holden will do much better on a team that is not the nightmare that is AVs man-man defence.
Im happy with the return, but I have absolutely no dislike of Holden. He was misused, that's not on him.
Yes so misused (sarcasm). The puck is at his feet near center ice, he just stares at it thinking he has all day to move it. Wrong, Eric Staal must took care if the puck for him. That's just one example. Simply braindead sometimes, but yeah, AV "misused" him into thinking he was "good at hockey".

Oh yeah, and don't forget all the good mentoring of Brady he has done.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well, we drafted Buchnevich with the 3rd rounder we got in the Nash trade. In hindsight: Nash, Buchnevich, Delisle for Anisimov, Dubinksky, Erixon, Rychel.
True and of course we could keep the pick and hope for similar, but my money is on using that pick alongside to get better return. It's like "money in the bank". Apparently there really IS a plan. Go, go Go figure.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Good asset management for Gorton. Traded a 4th for him, got 2 seasons of service and received a 3rd + C level prospect in return.
It was. But if you compare this to "giving away" 1's, 2's and 3's similar to handing away gift cards to co-workers......well then, it simply doesn't even out.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
For what it’s worth Pierre is on nhl radio right now calling o Gara a tremendous prospect out of Yale. Bs just have to many young guys back there. Says he’s def a player. Pretty interesting.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's the same age as John Gilmour who we have seen be a nice addition to the team. O'Gara I believe was a higher touted player from college than Gilmour who wasn't signed by Calgary. He plays a style that I think the Rangers hoped they would get from Bereglazov as well. Big guy who supposedly moves pretty well and moves the puck efficiently. Not a point producer but a guy who plays a nice new age defense. I'm intrigued.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Look...

I'm hoping for the best with O'Gara, but just a reminder, the main return asset in this trade is the 3rd round pick.

†At the time of the trade

Think of it as if it were:

HOLDEN -----> BOSTON -----> 3RD PICK 2018 AND 5TH PICK 2011------>RangersTown™

I mean I hope it's a steal, but Gorton wasn't trying to rebuild the defense with O'Gara.

I still like the trade given it's just the beginning of a firesale.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
For what it’s worth Pierre is on nhl radio right now calling o Gara a tremendous prospect out of Yale. Bs just have to many young guys back there. Says he’s def a player. Pretty interesting.

Pierre's knows the inside from the NE area quite well. Apparently (Annointing him) ROBO GAHRA played a big role for Yale's championship run in his D+2 year.

Yale is not a top collegiate program, so that bodes well for ROBO, especially since Yale won that year by playing stingy defense. ROBO should get a few games in the NHL this year, and it will be a good litmus test to see where he's at.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
An interesting move - a 3rd pick is decent for Holden, I don`t complain about that. ;)

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Don’t take less money.. they always end up asking you to waive then pressuring you to do it. The nmc only ruins relationships with the FO.
In a case like Nick Holden if he were to go for a deal like this I think he'd have to sacrifice a good 25-50% of the money he'd have otherwise gotten over the life of the contract.

At that point, when you've sacrificed a good 1.5-2.5 million bucks out of 5, I doubt a player would give a rats last sh** what management thinks as it pertains to waiving.

I cannot imagine a person throwing away that much money to secure an NMC and then just waiving it so management (which is looking to get rid of you anyway) doesn't get its feelings hurt

If they don't like it, they can release him, eat the 1/2 cap cost and then the player can pick where he wants to go AND get paid by the other team on top of the money he gets with the NYR.

Or they send him home, in which case, hey I'll take getting paid to be with family.

If you're management and you give a NMC you better make damn sure the reduction of salary and # of years is worth the risk of guaranteeing that this player will stick around.

Fun hypothetical to think about for me.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What? Holden is the luckiest guy on the roster right now. Escaping this dumpster fire team with its brain dead “coach” is a godsend.

I'm thinking from a serious perspective and imagining family, potentially uprooting your entire life, being forced away from friendships you've formed, things that go beyond simple wins and losses in a game.

But like i was saying before, my sympathy only goes so far here.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
the third round is where you find gems....even if we keep this pick this is where players drop due to whatever reason and you can still find potential stars, I know the chances are slim but you never know our recent drafting has been pretty good

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Look...

I'm hoping for the best with O'Gara, but just a reminder, the main return asset in this trade is the 3rd round pick.

†At the time of the trade

Think of it as if it were:

HOLDEN -----> BOSTON -----> 3RD PICK 2018 AND 5TH PICK 2011------>RangersTown™

I mean I hope it's a steal, but Gorton wasn't trying to rebuild the defense with O'Gara.

I still like the trade given it's just the beginning of a firesale.

Are you saying we traded a first round pick for Sproul? ;)

Reactions: Thirty One

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It's funny because this organEYEzation drafts much better in later rounds than the first, historically.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad