Confirmed with Link: Holden to Boston for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Our scouting is either great or trash... trash usually in the first round

I don’t think our scouting is trash in the first round.

I think more gems are to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds once the cant miss first round players have been gobbled up in the first 5 picks, which Rangers town never picks in that range.

RangersTown™️ Also tends to not have first round picks to pick.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
;)I wasn’t;)

Are you saying O’Gara, the 24 year old who has played 11 games since his draft year of 2011, is the main part of the deal?
I'm fascinated by the workings of the human mind. What did he say that would lead you to believe that's what he was saying?

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I don’t think our scouting is trash in the first round.

I think more gems are to be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds once the cant miss first round players have been gobbled up in the first 5 picks, which Rangers town never picks in that range.

RangersTown™️ Also tends to not have first round picks to pick.
I mean, we've either struck out or had some underwhelming prospects until pretty recently in the first round. Just frustrating. Our later rounds for whatever reason and European guys /scouts are much better.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Found this writeup on O'Gara from before the season. Certainly sounds like he can carve out a bottom pairing role given the chance:

Rob O’Gara flew under the radar at #18
Thanks for that. Read the whole story and especially liked the 8 comments that were there (for even more insight). You know, Bruins fans are very much like we are. They take pride in knowing about their kids in the pipeline while many of them come from Boston or in the area, so it makes it "special" when they are local?
Anyway, if he hasn't "regressed" it actually sounds like he may be more than just "serviceable", and possibly given a really good, long hard look he could become a good addition in the "numbers" game defensively, moving forward. No offense? No problem, neither did Holden provide. We are gonna need more "stability" back there with all the additions/subtractions going on and an aging Hank. Need solid defense. Can't be too much worse than Golden Holden Poker into your own net!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I mean, we've either struck out or had some underwhelming prospects until pretty recently in the first round. Just frustrating. Our later rounds for whatever reason and European guys /scouts are much better.

If you don’t include Lundqvist, you’re talking Prucha, Hagelin and Fast. I’m not seeing much better in the later rounds, especially in the past decade. If anything, it’s the 2nd to nd where the Rangers had excelled for the longest time.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Maybe because of "less expectations" and we can only "notice" that we have a good one (and of course it's repetitively mentioned that we drafter him in a later round (say Hank for example) and those that "haven't" made it just get swept away from our memories. At least I know that is what happens for me. How many times have we heard that Hank was a "steal" or a "hidden gem" in the 7th round. Over and over and over again.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
So a 3rd and another D body to compete for a spot next season for UFA Holden, well done. Hopefully our selling moves will look better than our buying moves.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I just don't understand the narrative.

I could create a narrative that the Rangers don't draft enough Korean players. That doesn't necessarily make it any more accurate.
It's true, they've drafted zero.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

They have done a good job. I'm just saying more of those gems are in the 2-4 rounds, and the Rangers either don't have first rounders or they don't pick in the can't miss franchise range of the first round when they do.

I don't think it's that they "don't know" or we are cursed.

Also, I agree the first round has been pretty whack for RangersTown™, but I was just throwing in some perspective.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Our scouting...has been above average on the whole. This isn't the Oilers where they miss every time they don't pick #1 overall, and sometimes when they do. "Missing" in the first round isn't the problem. It's having picks with which to select players.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Really? Aside from Lundqvist 18 years ago, which late round picks were better than Staal, Kreider, Miller or Skjei?

Tyutin [2/40]
Zidlicky [6/176]
Dubinsky [2/60]
Callahan [4/127]
Sauer [2/40]
Anisimov [2/54]
Hagelin [6/168]
Stepan [2/51]
Fast [6/157]

About 1 per year† since Lundqvist's draft year [2000]. All of whom have had about as much or more success than the 4 players you mentioned Staal's unfortunate injury not withstanding.

†RangersTown™ unfortunately started throwing away 2nd and 3rd round picks too during the latter end of the New Era®

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Based on what? We've had two misses and one incomplete from our last 15 first round picks.

Assuming Chytil and Andersson continue to progress, we're 13-2-1.

If we take them out because it's too soon, we're still 11-2-1.
Too many people think first rounders =Elite talent or bust. The record you listed is ridiculously good, and that’s with us picking on average later versus earlier.

And the big flops stand out in people’s memories as well. Until we luck into a generational/elite level player, Jessiman will singlehandedly tarnish our first round picking until the next century.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Too many people think first rounders =Elite talent or bust. The record you listed is ridiculously good, and that’s with us picking on average later versus earlier.

And the big flops stand out in people’s memories as well. Until we luck into a generational/elite level player, Jessiman will singlehandedly tarnish our first round picking until the next century.

Unfortunately, I believe it very easily would've been 14-2 if not for tragedy striking. Interestingly enough Cherepanov was that elite talent everyone was looking for. He would've only recently turned 29.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Really? Aside from Lundqvist 18 years ago, which late round picks were better than Staal, Kreider, Miller or Skjei?

Someone may argue Ryan Callahan. I wouldn't, but someone might.

And certainly Zubov. But that was a lifetime ago.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Unfortunately, I believe it very easily would've been 14-2 if not for tragedy striking. Interestingly enough Cherepanov was that elite talent everyone was looking for. He would've only recently turned 29.
So true and so sad, his development curve was off the charts. He was picked at 17 too due to the ‘Russian factor’. We could use a few more of those types.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Tyutin [2/40]
Zidlicky [6/176]
Dubinsky [2/60]
Callahan [4/127]
Sauer [2/40]
Anisimov [2/54]
Hagelin [6/168]
Stepan [2/51]
Fast [6/157]

About 1 per year† since Lundqvist's draft year [2000]. All of whom have had about as much or more success than the 4 players you mentioned Staal's unfortunate injury not withstanding.

†RangersTown™ unfortunately started throwing away 2nd and 3rd round picks too during the latter end of the New Era®

Not sure I trade prime Staal for any of the defensemen on that list.

Not sure I trade prime Miller or Kreider for anyone other than maybe prime Stepan.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Based on what? We've had two misses and one incomplete from our last 15 first round picks.

Assuming Chytil and Andersson continue to progress, we're 13-2-1.

If we take them out because it's too soon, we're still 11-2-1.

I'm assuming you're starting from 2005. But then we didn't have 15 1st round picks since then I don't think.

Reactions: Edge

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

I mean also Lundmark, Brendl, Sanguinetti, McIlrath.

The Rangers have only had a a few first rounders since the 99 debacle, and a lot of them have been stinkers.

All will be forgiven when Anderson is guaranteed to shatter all RangersTown™ records, but until he plays in the NHL, our first round has been whack AF in a relative sense, and is somewhat south of "ridiculously good" when compared to other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->