Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The only way this team has a moderate chance of being successful next year is if Logan Brown comes in and puts up 50 pts.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ok, so lets ignore 2017 and 2016 because it's too early yet, though admittedly those picks look very promising,

2011-2015
2nd Round: Gagne, Chlapik, Englund, Prince.
3rd round: Gendron, Hogberg, Dreidger, Maidens
4th round: Wolanin, Ahl, Eiserman, Lindberg, Harpur, Boyle, Pageau
5th round: Jaros, Dunn, Baillargeon, Claesson

There's one player that is a surefire legit young NHLer in 19 picks. We struck gold with Formenton and Batherson, no doubt, assuming that we will always do so is very foolish.

Picks are nice, but so is being realistic about the likelihood of them becoming valuable roster players.

I don't think you're math is right on this one. Also I noticed you forgot 2008-2010:

2nd: Wiercioch, Lehner, Silfverberg
3rd: Smith, Culek
4th: Grant, Petersson, Wideman, Sorensen
5th: Borowiecki, Hoffman, Costello

In terms of young NHLers, I count 13, with the potential for 8 more (Gagne, Englund, Hogberg, Wolanin, Jaros, Batherson, Formenton and Dahlen). That's 21 young potential NHLers out of 34 picks in the 2nd-5th round since 2008. That's a damn impressive record.

Also prospects don't need to end up as NHLers to have value. Unproven prospects Batherson, Formenton and Dahlen are worth far beyond what Dorion just returned for an established 25-30G scorer. The prospect SJ selects with that 2nd will similarly be worth more than what we received.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Given the situation, this is fine. Clearly not good, but fine. It was obvious when reading this board that most people weren't willing to acknowledge exactly how much this scandal had tanked Hoffman's value. To get a cheap, versatile winger and a mediocre prospect is not terrible - it's better than waiving Hoffman.

We are a worse team now, but that's to be expected. The roster will be even worse again in a few weeks when Karlsson and Ryan are dealt as a package.

We are stripping it down. Get used to that idea.

Reactions: Alex1234

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The only way this team has a moderate chance of being successful next year is if Logan Brown comes in and puts up 50 pts.
Even if he does we still need Anderson and Condon to have around a ~.917 s% and have both special teams units not both be in the bottom 5 league wide and one of Claesson or Harpur need to play half decent as a top 4 option.

I actually think Brown coming in and getting 40-50 points has a better or equal chance of happening than any of that other stuff.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't think you're math is right on this one. Also I noticed you forgot 2008-2010:

2nd: Wiercioch, Lehner, Silfverberg
3rd: Smith, Culek
4th: Grant, Petersson, Wideman, Sorensen
5th: Borowiecki, Hoffman, Costello

In terms of young NHLers, I count 13, with the potential for 8 more (Gagne, Englund, Hogberg, Wolanin, Jaros, Batherson, Formenton and Dahlen). That's 21 young potential NHLers out of 34 picks in the 2nd-5th round since 2008. That's a damn impressive record.

Also prospects don't need to end up as NHLers to have value. Unproven prospects Batherson, Formenton and Dahlen are worth far beyond what Dorion just returned for an established 25-30G scorer. The prospect SJ selects with that 2nd will similarly be worth more than what we received.

You can't include "potential" NHLers until they become NHLers.

We all thought Kaigorodov, Daugavins, etc were great prospects too.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Even if he does we still need Anderson and Condon to have around a ~.917 s% and have both special teams units not both be in the bottom 5 league wide and one of Claesson or Harpur need to play half decent as a top 4 option.

I actually think Brown coming in and getting 40-50 points has a better or equal chance of happening than any of that other stuff.

Don't show this to Bonk

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Keeping Hoffman out of the division is not the PRIME OBJECTIVE!
I understand that, but if we flipped boedker and Bergman for picks, we'd be able to recover a 2020 2nd and 4th. Clearly we value boedker more than that right now, as someone only getting paid 3 million while providing 45-50 points.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While I appreciate the optimism, I personally dont agree or see Boedker contributing this much at this point in his career or want to take the chance at an injury etc, id rather just have the picks.

I love Theordore so thats the deal I do. Both trades look incredible to me and not very realistic with Dorion at the helm. I think we would end up with Miller over Theodore and id still probably do either deal.

I think Boedker will be on our 1st unit PP, and get top 6 mins, because who else will with Hoffman gone. The last time he got that kind of opportunity was 2015-16 and he put up 51 pts in 80 games. Not sure he will do it again, particularly if we trade Karlsson for futures, but he'll get ample opportunity.

As for the trade options, I'm partial to the Colorado one tbh but both seem decent;

4th OA: Zadina/Dobson/Kotkaniemi
16th OA: Kravstov (I know, no chance)/ Kupari/Smith/ Hayton
22nd OA: Miller/ Kaut/Dennisenko (I know...)/Wilde/ Noel

2019 OTT 1st: Somebody really good 'cause we are going to suck hard
2019 COL 1st: probably a late pick, because Colorado will be good with Karlsson
2019 COL 2nd: Dido.

That's not a bad way to rebuild in a hurry.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I understand that, but if we flipped boedker and Bergman for picks, we'd be able to recover a 2020 2nd and 4th. Clearly we value boedker more than that right now, as someone only getting paid 3 million while providing 45-50 points.

Yeah and there’s only so many rookies we can ice next year.

Right now Brown, White and Wolanin are pretty much locks. Formenton possibly.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Not single D man there. Sorry man as a rebuilding team that finished second last the prospect pool is bad. The players they could get at 33 and 63 could be as good as the guy picked at 22 the first 60 players or so in this draft are all guys that could push for roster spots in the NHL very soon.

Revisionist history is easy but the team could have Zibanejad, Mcavoy, picks 33, 63, . Now they have 22nd, Brown, Gustavsson and 140. Just think about that for a second.

Yeah , think about that. Revisionist history is easy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Given the situation, this is fine. Clearly not good, but fine. It was obvious when reading this board that most people weren't willing to acknowledge exactly how much this scandal had tanked Hoffman's value. To get a cheap, versatile winger and a mediocre prospect is not terrible - it's better than waiving Hoffman.

We are a worse team now, but that's to be expected. The roster will be even worse again in a few weeks when Karlsson and Ryan are dealt as a package.

We are stripping it down. Get used to that idea.
Then why did we not take the picks,and look for teams in cap hell to gain the cap floor and gain even more picks???

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Bergman is a down-grade from Hoffman. This is going to aid the tank for the 2019 draft, but . . .

This team is screwed.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Garrioch tweeted that Tallon said that Ottawa didn't want picks, only actual players. I mean, I can't even. I have no words.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Someone on the main board posted that Boedker and Duchene had good chemistry in Colorado, for whatever that's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad