Eklund Rumor: Hoffman to MTL is E4

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doubt the Ontario boy signs in Quebec as a UFA. If he gets low ball offers cause teams don't have cap space, he might consider the Habs if we offer him the contract he wants. Doubt Bergevin goes all in on the soon to be 31 year old though.

Bergevin will knock on the door to inquire but I'd be surprised if Hoffman is a Habs next year.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Did Eklund just sleep through an entire pandemic? Does he still think that the Stanley Cup was just awarded about a week ago, and that UFAs will still be free to sign with new teams on July 1st?

If not, how on earth would it make any sense that Hoffman and Montreal, both of whom are scheduled to participate in the play-ins, would have nearly completed negotiating a contract with one another before the play-ins even started?
I actually love that you tried to be a smartass. And that youre acting like a team in the play-ins cant have future thoughts. Gotcha

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would be ok with a 3y/6M$ per or 4y/5M$ per contract we can't get Hall and if Domi is traded for a lhd. But i think Toffoli would be a better target as he is younger and probably a bit cheaper.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I would be ok with a 3y/6M$ per or 4y/5M$ per contract we can't get Hall and if Domi is traded for a lhd. But i think Toffoli would be a better target as he is younger and probably a bit cheaper.
I get the sense that Toffoli would prefer to stay out west. It's not based on much, but just a hunch haha

Reactions: Benstheman

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
As mentioned, don’t mind this if we move Domi for a LHD, and Kovy comes back on a 1-yr deal.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Hoffman Suzuki Kovalchuk

Could be a lot worse

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

FLA would match both if thats what it took. Think he gets 5 years at minimum if the AAV is below $6.5 million.
He doesn't play a rugid game and still has wheels so his decline won't be as bad as others imo

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
FLA would match both if thats what it took. Think he gets 5 years at minimum if the AAV is below $6.5 million.
He doesn't play a rugid game and still has wheels so his decline won't be as bad as others imo

I think it is fair. My main argument is more so that unless we go for a star forward (Hall), i don't want us to commit to long term deals with 30 + forwards, considering our actual core and our youth coming in.

I like Hoffman but what we need is star level talent or we need to stay the course and draft.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Why are people ragging on his wife, I thought the allegations against her turned out to be completely unfounded?

Reactions: Laus723

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not to sound rude but if Armia is an important core piece, a change of direction might not be a bad thing.

Core group of UFAs doesn't mean the core of the team. That being said Armia was probably Montreal's most physical winger and he looked really good this season, definitely want him back if they can get him somewhere around 3.5

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If I've said it once I've said it 100 times - go big or go home for Montreal. There's no point giving big money to Hoffman when he would be the fourth or fifth best winger on the team. I think it's basically Hall or bust for forwards on the UFA market. Quality depth is not an issue for Montreal by any means, it's elite/franchise level talent

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hoffman is better than Lehkonen and Byron, maybe Drouin even. Poehling should be a C not a LW and Kovalchuck (if he comes back) can play RW. The main issue is the contract Hoffman would most likely ask for. It does not fit with what you want to pay a 3rd liner.
Regardless, they are not going to sign Hoffman and have 5.5 million dollar Drouin play 3LW.

They will take that 6 mill and add another 2 mill to it and sign Krug. If that don't work, they will put that money on LD.

Besides the Habs are known to get rid of problem players ie: Pateryn, Leblanc, Subban, Varone to name a few, not sign them.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Why are people ragging on his wife, I thought the allegations against her turned out to be completely unfounded?
That's what I thought too. The way details were emerging, I thought the Karlsson camp was more of the issue than Hoffman

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Eklund pretty much has zero credibility, No one right now know's where Hoffman will sign. With Panther ownership looking to shed around $10 million or so. it looks like Hoffmans days in Florida are over.

they’re looking to shed 10 mil (or so)?? Where is this anywhere but an actual rumor? Where was the rumor substantiated?? Ah yes, nowhere. Further, said rumor seemed to have been addressed during Lou’s Jersey retirement ceremony where Vinny Viola said that he would continue to pursue a championship, especially for Lou.

Hoffman has stated that he’d like to stay in Florida and I’d heard that his agent and ownership had spoken.

Where would Eklund hear such a rumor when teams aren’t allowed to talk to future FAs?? Typical rubbish from him.

So far as his wife, she and Mike demanded to see the messages as proof, they were never produced. Seems she has been cleared.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
My prediction is that Hoffman signs in Buffalo next year for too much and too long

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario

In that scenario, whether I want it or not, I bet MB/Julien would put the bottom six as something like:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Hoffman Suzuki Kovalchuk
Drouin Kotkaniemi Armia
Byron Evans Lehkonen

Not bad I guess

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I actually love that you tried to be a smartass. And that youre acting like a team in the play-ins cant have future thoughts. Gotcha

Except, Eklund is saying Hoffman has shown mutual interest, which is impossible. Which is what he implied. Ffs.

they were unfounded. They demanded proof, it was never presented. Some people only know half the story, typical of the world these days.

Regardless, they are not going to sign Hoffman and have 5.5 million dollar Drouin play 3LW.

They will take that 6 mill and add another 2 mill to it and sign Krug. If that don't work, they will put that money on LD.

Besides the Habs are known to get rid of problem players ie: Pateryn, Leblanc, Subban, Varone to name a few, not sign them.

I’m sorry, you’ll have to explain how Hoffman is a “problem player.”

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I remember the first time someone telling me about Eklund....It reminded me when I was a little kid and my parents telling me wrestling was fake...Same feeling lol

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Fully agreed, that was my point ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Drouin playing 3rd line with Kotkaniemi and Armia has been done so not sure what you are talking about? Drouin gets his extra time on the PP. Don't overlook how the Habs are built to role their lines 5/5 and that 3rd listed line is going to get their ice time.

Stay away from Krug. He will want big money and he is among one of the worse in his own end. 70%+ offensive zone starts is probably the highest in the NHL and he has one of the worse +/- on that good Bruins team. Buyer beware! And our PP is nowhere near as good as the Bruins. Krug to Montreal don't fit. If you want a puck mover, just let Mete develop cause Krug was not even in the NHL at Mete's age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad