Eklund Rumor: Hoffman to MTL is E4

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Did Eklund just sleep through an entire pandemic? Does he still think that the Stanley Cup was just awarded about a week ago, and that UFAs will still be free to sign with new teams on July 1st?

If not, how on earth would it make any sense that Hoffman and Montreal, both of whom are scheduled to participate in the play-ins, would have nearly completed negotiating a contract with one another before the play-ins even started?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see MB being interested, maybe something along the lines of 4 years at 6M because MB knows next season is very important for him as he has to worry about being able to retain that core group of UFA's (Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Armia, Danault) as losing some of them could piss off Price/Weber who aren't getting any younger. With MB and Julien's contracts up after the '21-'22 season he may feel the pressure to do more next year to keep most of his UFA's and keep Price/Weber happy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would the Habs, who have such storied culture, bring this guy into their room?

Reactions: mattyboy

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I could see MB being interested, maybe something along the lines of 4 years at 6M because MB knows next season is very important for him as he has to worry about being able to retain that core group of UFA's (Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Armia, Danault) as losing some of them could piss off Price/Weber who aren't getting any younger. With MB and Julien's contracts up after the '21-'22 season he may feel the pressure to do more next year to keep most of his UFA's and keep Price/Weber happy.
Not to sound rude but if Armia is an important core piece, a change of direction might not be a bad thing.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd be shocked if any play-in bound UFAs (even guys that will re-up with their current teams) have gotten to the point where E4 makes sense. There are a lot more pressing concerns for them and their agents.

Montreal is probably far more concerned with the logistics of the play-in round/playoff bubble and the draft to be planning their UFA market strategy.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not to sound rude but if Armia is an important core piece, a change of direction might not be a bad thing.

core group of UFAs =/= core peice. Its to differentiate between a guy like Armia vs a guy like Weal or Lindgren.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Now trusting a Eklund rumor is a sure fire way to look silly. But if MTL signed Hoffman, put him on a line with Domi it makes a lot of sense.
Eklund pretty much has zero credibility, No one right now know's where Hoffman will sign. With Panther ownership looking to shed around $10 million or so. it looks like Hoffmans days in Florida are over.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Is there a heat wave in Philly too? Because here in Montréal we're steaming and it makes me say things like ''we're soo winning that cup''..
I live in FL so I am saying there is so not going to be a restart to the season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I live in FL so I am saying there is so not going to be a restart to the season.
I live in Vancouver, and the NHL will restart here. Hopefully Edmonton is the other hub.
Hofmann might be playing for minimum cap next season. Too much baggage.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's been pretty good with us and he's one of the few wingers with size along the mini Habs plus he's a part of the Finnish Habs. I hope they keep him around.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I think Price/Weber would be happier if MB could put together a better core.

Reactions: Aspirine

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think Price/Weber would be happier if MB could put together a better core.
for sure, it's not like Montreal can rebuild. They need to win now. This offseason is a good one to be aggressive if you have the cap space to throw around

Reactions: qqaz

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Whoever gives Hoffman a big deal will probably soon regret it.

Will want his last big pay with term. He will likely be 31 when his deal starts (November birthday)

Might have a couple good years but I would fear it turns into another Skinner/Ladd deal.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hoffman is a LW and Habs are filled to the brim with LW.

Tatar
Drouin
Lehky
Byron
Poehling
Kovalchuk (is rumors of signing are true).

Now Byron and Lehky can play RW.

No way Habs are going after Hoffman.

Bergy will go hard for a LD.
Maybe trade for a RW.

Not Hoffman.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Hoffman is a LW and Habs are filled to the brim with LW.

Tatar
Drouin
Lehky
Byron
Poehling
Kovalchuk (is rumors of signing are true).

Now Byron and Lehky can play RW.

No way Habs are going after Hoffman.

Bergy will go hard for a LD.
Maybe trade for a RW.

Not Hoffman.

Hoffman is better than Lehkonen and Byron, maybe Drouin even. Poehling should be a C not a LW and Kovalchuck (if he comes back) can play RW. The main issue is the contract Hoffman would most likely ask for. It does not fit with what you want to pay a 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad