Speculation: Hoffman to EDM

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
LA winning as an 8th seed
VGK making it to SCF in 1st year
STL going from worst to first aka SC Champs

NHL is way too hard to predict, anyone is a contender once they get in.

Not really, the majority of winners and finalists are still top seeded teams, Vegas was a division winner so that's a bad example. STL and LA prove that it's not impossible for 8th seeded teams to win but statistically it still heavily favors one of the top-4 teams in the conference.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not the kind of guy Edmonton should be targeting. Hoffman is unreal when he's hot, but when he's not scoring, he is more than useless, he is a complete liability.

Hold onto your assets and go after someone who will contribute at all ends of the ice. Try to go after someone like JGP.
Don't get Hoffman try and get our guy!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Am I missing something? Hoffman is coming off a 36 goal season last year and is on pace for another 30 this year, would look great on McDavids wing
Maybe straight across for Larsson because he's on a expiring deal, but you have to give to get

Our #4 D and a 1st for a rental Hoffman? Holland wasn't willing to include our 1st for Taylor Hall. Taking the 1st out doesn't make it any better. Larsson is signed till next off season and Hoffman is a pending UFA. that's bad asset management my friend.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Mike Hoffman - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hoffman has a NTC - almost no one waives those to come to Edmonton. Something tells me he will have no Canadian cities on his list.
Hoffman is 30 and going to be a UFA - that is a heck of a price for a rental that probably doesn't resign for us.
Florida is fighting for a playoff spot - they should keep Hoffman and his 30 goals.
Edmonton would have to free up an addition Million in cap space for this rental
Holland seems deadset on not dealing a 1st.

I'd love Hoffman on the first line with Connor but can't see a scenario where that happens. Larsson for Kapanan would make a lot more sense.

If he was being moved it would be a smart move to waive for the Oil since he's not locked into Edmonton as a pending UFA and could really posted incredible numbers with McDavid on the top line.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not really, the majority of winners and finalists are still top seeded teams, Vegas was a division winner so that's a bad example. STL and LA prove that it's not impossible for 8th seeded teams to win but statistically it still heavily favors one of the top-4 teams in the conference.

That's fair and I agree it favors the top seeded teams but the parity in the NHL is pretty tight and the best of the 4 pro sports in NA.
Why is VGK a bad example? It's the exact opposite of the TB collapse. Both sides of the coin.
Everyone predicted an expansion team would be in the SCF their first year even as a 1st seed?
That LA 8th seed run wasn't even a decade ago.
Just get in and any team has a shot, whether likely or unlikely.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's fair and I agree it favors the top seeded teams but the parity in the NHL is pretty tight and the best of the 4 pro sports in NA.
Why is VGK a bad example? It's the exact opposite of the TB collapse. Both sides of the coin.
Everyone predicted an expansion team would be in the SCF their first year even as a 1st seed?
That LA 8th seed run wasn't even a decade ago.
Just get in and any team has a shot, whether likely or unlikely.

It doesn't matter what people predicted, the majority of people are going to be wrong picking 2/16 teams at the start of the playoffs anyways. The point is that it's not just "fair game" once the playoffs start, the top teams will the majority of the time win out.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Standings and tie-breakers only matter for seeding the playoff teams.
After that, any team who makes the playoffs can win the Cup.
We had some 1st seed teams go out the few years..
If the Pacific is a bunch of mediocrity, EDM as a contender should be leading their division similar to STL no?
That’s the issue isn’t it. St. Louis Colorado isn’t on the menu unless your a wild card team until the western conference finals. Any of the Pacific teams in the running adding a top 4 d or top 6 f probably makes them a contender

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It doesn't matter what people predicted, the majority of people are going to be wrong picking 2/16 teams at the start of the playoffs anyways. The point is that it's not just "fair game" once the playoffs start, the top teams will the majority of the time win out.

Apparently The Regular Season Is Irrelevant In The NHL

Also from 2003-2012, only one President's winner won the Cup, the 07-08 Red Wings.

The 2009 Penguins were a mid pack team (8th out of the 16 playoff teams in terms of points) allowing 2.92 goals against and MAF posting a .908 sv%.

It happens more in hockey than other sports.

Here's an article showing how predictable the NBA has become

More than 80% of the teams that reach the NBA Finals are seeded 1 or 2

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If he was being moved it would be a smart move to waive for the Oil since he's not locked into Edmonton as a pending UFA and could really posted incredible numbers with McDavid on the top line.
It would be I agree. I just can't think of the last player that waived a NMC to come to Edmonton? We rarely score the big UFA's (when trying to) or the big trade deadline acquisitions.

I think Edmonton is a winger's dream come true for getting paid and we have 2 amazing spots available for the taking.. maybe it'll change in the future. For now, can't name one?

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I love how everyone trys to justify their ridiculous trade asks by saying “well he’d score 40 with McDavid”

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Larsson + 2020 1st?

i was waiting for this nonsense ! especially if he still has the same girlfriend that caused all the problems for him in Ottawa! i can hear Holland now...."sure, the Oilers will trade their 1st rounder and one of their better d-men for a guy who **might** get 40 beside McDavid" ? pass :facepalm: :eyeroll:

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
"We mentioned with the Oilers before the trade deadline that a top-six forward would be top of their list in terms of potentially buying. I can’t tell you this particular player will be on their radar but I can tell you some teams have shown interest in Mike Hoffman of the Florida Panthers," LeBrun said on Insider Trading.

What would it need to take from the Oilers to get this deal done?

Larsson + 2020 1st?

Is this a joke?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Don't get Hoffman try and get our guy!

Hoffman used to be our guy as well. I know him very well. And I don't even want JGP to be traded, I want to stay in Ottawa, but if he's available, I think every single playoff team should be making calls. He's a work horse, great shutdown center, that contributes big in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad