Speculation: Hoffman to EDM

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
"We mentioned with the Oilers before the trade deadline that a top-six forward would be top of their list in terms of potentially buying. I can’t tell you this particular player will be on their radar but I can tell you some teams have shown interest in Mike Hoffman of the Florida Panthers," LeBrun said on Insider Trading.

What would it need to take from the Oilers to get this deal done?

Larsson + 2020 1st?

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
"We mentioned with the Oilers before the trade deadline that a top-six forward would be top of their list in terms of potentially buying. I can’t tell you this particular player will be on their radar but I can tell you some teams have shown interest in Mike Hoffman of the Florida Panthers," LeBrun said on Insider Trading.

Larsson + 2020 1st?
Lol what ?
Is this Hoffman also secretly named Huberdeau?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Larsson + 2020 1st?

No from Oilers

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
This does not even justify a comment ..
Just close your eyes and visualize a group of people shaking their heads slowly in perfect synchronization

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Am I missing something? Hoffman is coming off a 36 goal season last year and is on pace for another 30 this year, would look great on McDavids wing
Maybe straight across for Larsson because he's on a expiring deal, but you have to give to get

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
No reason to trade him for futures. As we gear up for a hopeful playoff run we’ll be adding, not subtracting. Tallon wants someone to play with Ekblad, as well as a stabilizing veteran forward. If we trade hoff then it’ll most likely be for a D whos probably also going into ufa

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Am I missing something? Hoffman is coming off a 36 goal season last year and is on pace for another 30 this year, would look great on McDavids wing
Maybe straight across for Larsson because he's on a expiring deal, but you have to give to get
Please list all the deadline deals for an UFA where the buying team gives up their top 4 D let alone a roster player.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Larsson + 2020 1st?

I think that the Oilers would go after bigger fish for that kind of package. Keep in mind that Holland wouldn't deal a 1st to land Taylor Hall. I don't see him doing so for arguably a lesser forward in Hoffman.

Hoffman would definitely be a big improvement over some of the other forwards the Oilers have in their top 6, but not at that price and not for a rental.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Mike Hoffman - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hoffman has a NTC - almost no one waives those to come to Edmonton. Something tells me he will have no Canadian cities on his list.
Hoffman is 30 and going to be a UFA - that is a heck of a price for a rental that probably doesn't resign for us.
Florida is fighting for a playoff spot - they should keep Hoffman and his 30 goals.
Edmonton would have to free up an addition Million in cap space for this rental
Holland seems deadset on not dealing a 1st.

I'd love Hoffman on the first line with Connor but can't see a scenario where that happens. Larsson for Kapanan would make a lot more sense.

Reactions: Tapdog

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think that the Oilers would go after bigger fish for that kind of package. Keep in mind that Holland wouldn't deal a 1st to land Taylor Hall. I don't see him doing so for arguably a lesser forward in Hoffman.

Hoffman would definitely be a big improvement over some of the other forwards the Oilers have in their top 6, but not at that price and not for a rental.
Hall might be available again too... that will hurt Hoffman's trade value if so.

Tapdog

Mar 16, 2016
Alberta, Canada

Yeah I think you are missing a lot.... Hoffman would look great on McDavid's wing? Lol that is what everyone dealing something says. If that was the case we would already have his winger and not have to get bent over to acquire Hoffman.
Hoffman at 30yrs and a UFA is not a straight up deal for Larsson at 27yrs with one more year at 4.167, let alone adding in a 1st in a deep draft. Sorry.

This deal would be Benning + something in the event he resigned on a friendly deal.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Yeah I think you are missing a lot.... Hoffman would look great on McDavid's wing? Lol that is what everyone dealing something says. If that was the case we would already have his winger and not have to get bent over to acquire Hoffman.
Hoffman at 30yrs and a UFA is not a straight up deal for Larsson at 27yrs with one more year at 4.167, let alone adding in a 1st in a deep draft. Sorry.

This deal would be Benning + something in the event he resigned on a friendly deal.
Correct on all accounts. I would have just given you a like but I wanted to say nice avatar. Go Cru!

Last edited:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
For a moment I thought this was bad. However if you think about it let the mcdavid driastl do whatever they want with the puck.

Have Hoffman just shoot and score prob gets 40 goals in a year type production tbh

Idk what Edmonton can offer though that makes sense.

Reactions: BHD

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Please list all the times a playoff team has dealt a roster player for futures... pretty obvious to get Hoffman out of FLA it's going to have to be something that helps them now
Well they can’t keep him in offseason and dadonov and aren’t contenders so they may want futures
But Larsson and first is a lot more than Hall got

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Florida is contending so why are they trying to trade him?

I don't think it's likely that they'd trade him, but Elliotte Friedman also mentioned some teams kicking the tires on Hoffman. The thought might be that Florida has enough scoring up front but wants to supplement its defense. Similar scenario would have been LA in 2012 when they traded Jack Johnson+ for Jeff Carter then called up Slava Voynov to replace Johnson. Florida could hypothetically swap Hoffman and end up with a defenseman, then call up somebody like Owen Tippett (19 goals, 40 points in 46 AHL games) to fill Hoffman's spot.

As others mentioned, Florida might not have the long term budget to retain Hoffman and Dadonov so it could be plausible to use Hoffman as an asset.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Mike Hoffman - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hoffman has a NTC - almost no one waives those to come to Edmonton. Something tells me he will have no Canadian cities on his list.
Hoffman is 30 and going to be a UFA - that is a heck of a price for a rental that probably doesn't resign for us.
Florida is fighting for a playoff spot - they should keep Hoffman and his 30 goals.
Edmonton would have to free up an addition Million in cap space for this rental
Holland seems deadset on not dealing a 1st.

I'd love Hoffman on the first line with Connor but can't see a scenario where that happens. Larsson for Kapanan would make a lot more sense.

i think a lot of players would waive to play on McDavid or Draisaitls wing. especially upcoming UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad