Speculation: Hoffman to EDM

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I keep reading these Hoffman deals and I get it he is a UFA this summer but Florida are poised to making the playoffs and they are a good looking team. Finding it hard to see them trading a key piece like Hoffman right now.

They don't have the cap space to make any meaningful moves right now and I think Tallon is willing to sacrifice some O in order to shore up the D. Hoffman is the most likely candidate to be moved out in order to accomplish this.

It'll either be a hockey deal with the right type of D man coming back or he'll use whatever assets he brings in and flip them for a D man.

Like you said though, I don't think there's a huge panic to deal him, but if it results in Tallon bringing in a D that he covets, I think he'll do it.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
They don't have the cap space to make any meaningful moves right now and I think Tallon is willing to sacrifice some O in order to shore up the D. Hoffman is the most likely candidate to be moved out in order to accomplish this.

It'll either be a hockey deal with the right type of D man coming back or he'll use whatever assets he brings in and flip them for a D man.

Like you said though, I don't think there's a huge panic to deal him, but if it results in Tallon bringing in a D that he covets, I think he'll do it.
What would Florida give (Hoffman not involved) for Petry retained at 50%?

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What would Florida give (Hoffman not involved) for Petry retained at 50%?

That's a tough one because FLA would have to send back salary (even with it being retained at 50%). Petry would be an amazing addition. For cap purposes, it would have to be someone like Hoffman, Vatrano or Pysyk, plus obviously a 1st/2nd round pick and/or a decent prospect. Depends what player is going back though, I guess.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That's a tough one because FLA would have to send back salary (even with it being retained at 50%). Petry would be an amazing addition. For cap purposes, it would have to be someone like Hoffman, Vatrano or Pysyk, plus obviously a 1st/2nd round pick and/or a decent prospect. Depends what player is going back though, I guess.
Would Pysyk, Serron a 2020 1st and 2020 3rd work?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well look at the standings.
Pacific is a bunch of mediocrity.
A very meh team is going to win it

Standings and tie-breakers only matter for seeding the playoff teams.
After that, any team who makes the playoffs can win the Cup.
We had some 1st seed teams go out the few years..
If the Pacific is a bunch of mediocrity, EDM as a contender should be leading their division similar to STL no?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
"We mentioned with the Oilers before the trade deadline that a top-six forward would be top of their list in terms of potentially buying. I can’t tell you this particular player will be on their radar but I can tell you some teams have shown interest in Mike Hoffman of the Florida Panthers," LeBrun said on Insider Trading.

What would it need to take from the Oilers to get this deal done?

Larsson + 2020 1st?
It is fair to ask for a 1. It is fair to ask for D with term. Not both.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
1) Edmonton is likely on his modified NTC, doubt he'd waive it unless it was just for a pure rental and he hits UFA - which lowers his value for Edmonton
2) he's a UFA after this season who is likely going to command 6.5+ (even after a down season) which will make it difficult for Edm to resign Nurse/RNH + bottom 6 guys who are UFA

He isnt worth the risk of leaving for Edmonton who finally will have some cap space in the next few years to make moves and slowly building an average prospect pool.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
"We mentioned with the Oilers before the trade deadline that a top-six forward would be top of their list in terms of potentially buying. I can’t tell you this particular player will be on their radar but I can tell you some teams have shown interest in Mike Hoffman of the Florida Panthers," LeBrun said on Insider Trading.

Larsson + 2020 1st?
Precisely 1/64th of the price to acquire Tomas Hertl.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Standings and tie-breakers only matter for seeding the playoff teams.
After that, any team who makes the playoffs can win the Cup.
We had some 1st seed teams go out the few years..
If the Pacific is a bunch of mediocrity, EDM as a contender should be leading their division similar to STL no?

St. Louis was the 8th seed last year weren't they?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Not the kind of guy Edmonton should be targeting. Hoffman is unreal when he's hot, but when he's not scoring, he is more than useless, he is a complete liability.

Hold onto your assets and go after someone who will contribute at all ends of the ice. Try to go after someone like JGP.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

Larsson + 2020 1st?
That's a heavy price for a younger version of James Neal(effort is still equal)

Besides why would Florida trade a 30G scorer when they are well on their way to a playoff spot?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I assumed as much, it was a little tongue-in-cheek seeing as the most recent cup champion didn't win their division and it was the team you happened mention in your post.

LA winning as an 8th seed
VGK making it to SCF in 1st year
TB getting swept after a record year
STL going from worst to first aka SC Champs

NHL is way too hard to predict, anyone is a contender once they get in.

Reactions: Boondock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->