Post-Game Talk: Hoffman returned to Ottawa tonight, 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
To be fair, he wasn't even voted in our top 10 of players under 25. Yes, there was some debate near #10, but only with prospects at the fringe of even being NHL players. So, no, that's not really a thing you need to sarcastically claim.
43% of the board voted for him to be our #11 player under 25 over the likes of Duclair, Hogberg, Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros, and Lajoie. Its asinine and stupid. Stupidity is something that should be less tolerated in all aspects of society.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Only 23%... I voted Duclair, but even he is down to the dregs of the league to save his career. Goalies are always too low on these lists cause we have no sweet clue how to evaluate them. Chlapik, Balcers... might not ever make it as regular NHLers. I don't think it's crazy to have Tierney in the same group with our C prospects outside of our top 10.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
43% of the board voted for him to be our #11 player under 25 over the likes of Duclair, Hogberg, Chlapik, Balcers, Jaros, and Lajoie. Its asinine and stupid. Stupidity is something that should be less tolerated in all aspects of society.

You had some pretty hot takes about Tkachuk too. Not comparing Tierney to Tkachuk by any means, but how about we let it play out before speaking in absolutes.

Reactions: bert

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
how dare anyone have any valid concerns about tkachuk going into this season

Hot takes =/= valid concerns

I just don't think it's worth speaking in absolutes about guys who haven't played more than a dozen games int he league. Lots can change and lots is still up in the air with these kids and we're better to let the situation play out before anointing any of them 50+ point players.

Reactions: bert

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You had some pretty hot takes about Tkachuk too. Not comparing Tierney to Tkachuk by any means, but how about we let it play out before speaking in absolutes.
Yeah, well a lot of the sage wisdom from HF Sens also put Tkachuk ahead of Chabot before the year, so lemme take the masses opinion with a giant grain of salt.

What do we need to see Tierney play another 100 games or so to really determine that he sucks? I had people screaming at me about Zack Smith for years about how bad my takes are.

Some things are just easy to see.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, well a lot of the sage wisdom from HF Sens also put Tkachuk ahead of Chabot before the year, so lemme take the masses opinion with a giant grain of salt.

What do we need to see Tierney play another 100 games or so to really determine that he sucks? I had people screaming at me about Zack Smith for years about how bad my takes are.

HAHAHAHA yeah fire the sens coaching staff and San Jose's FQL knows more about hockey than any of these people. Did you even play anywhere? Above the level of house league?

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
HAHAHAHA yeah fire the sens coaching staff and San Jose's FQL knows more about hockey than any of these people. Did you even play anywhere? Above the level of house league?

Level of play isn't a prerequisite for hockey knowledge, and it also doesn't automatically make you a good coach either. Wayne Gretzky might go down as the worst coach in NHL history

Reactions: DrEasy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He tied a team record... with JASON YORK. I like York as much as the next guy, but I don't think he would have been in my top 100 guesses for "most shots in a game"
Shots from the point I guess and also before the big trend of coaches making everyone block shots. If a dman was going to shoot from the point, people got out of the way and let the goalie handle it because it was a low % shot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Level of play isn't a prerequisite for hockey knowledge, and it also doesn't automatically make you a good coach either. Wayne Gretzky might go down as the worst coach in NHL history

The higher the level of play the more exposure the person has to hockey knowledge. Its like going to university vs someone that finishes with a highschool education you have been put into a situation to not only retain knowledge but experience the sport tangibly.

Anyone arguing that it doesnt help, probably didnt play very much or at a high level.

I know personally there is no way I would understand exactly what is happening on a neutral zone regroup, or a high trap or a defensive shift on the pk unless I experienced it. There is almost no way to even identify it unless you practiced it daily and watched video on it.

I agree Wayne wasnt a great coach but he was still and NHL coach. The game came too easy to him, most of the time the best coachs are role players hat had to relly on watching video or carving out a specific role because they didnt have the elite skill set to come in and just play at the NHL level.

They are the most qualified for the job because they played and have experience.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The higher the level of play the more exposure the person has to hockey knowledge. Its like going to university vs someone that finishes with a highschool education you have been put into a situation to not only retain knowledge but experience the sport tangibly.

Anyone arguing that it doesnt help, probably didnt play very much or at a high level.

I know personally there is no way I would understand exactly what is happening on a neutral zone regroup, or a high trap or a defensive shift on the pk unless I experienced it. There is almost no way to even identify it unless you practiced it daily and watched video on it.

I agree Wayne wasnt a great coach but he was still and NHL coach. The game came too easy to him, most of the time the best coachs are role players hat had to relly on watching video or carving out a specific role because they didnt have the elite skill set to come in and just play at the NHL level.

They are the most qualified for the job because they played and have experience.

I am sure sports fandom is a great study for the Dunning-Kruger effect. But I mean, we all have our opinions because we watch the team.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Hot takes =/= valid concerns

I just don't think it's worth speaking in absolutes about guys who haven't played more than a dozen games int he league. Lots can change and lots is still up in the air with these kids and we're better to let the situation play out before anointing any of them 50+ point players.
I don't recall that many hot takes, sure there were a few, but in my option most of the concern was valid. For example, his lack of production at most levels of hockey and lack of high end skill, his older draft age, and the fact that there were more skilled players available in more desirable positions are all valid points. Everyone agreed that he'd be a solid player, and great around the net, which he has shown. Isn't it the same that people started to declare tkachuk to be the right pick after a handful of games?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't recall that many hot takes, sure there were a few, but in my option most of the concern was valid. For example, his lack of production at most levels of hockey and lack of high end skill, his older draft age, and the fact that there were more skilled players available in more desirable positions are all valid points. Everyone agreed that he'd be a solid player, and great around the net, which he has shown. Isn't it the same that people started to declare tkachuk to be the right pick after a handful of games?

I was speaking about that poster in particular who seemed to have a particular hate on. Regardless, the point was just that none of us are scouts and that we should probably refrain from speaking in absolutes about kids we haven't seen more than a handful of times.

It is a message board after all, though, and we're all entitled to our opinions, I was just giving that particular poster a hard time because of the real hard line stance he's taken on Tierney (not dissimilar to BT criticism at the time).

I think the whole "stupidity" line is what set me off, because the poster was making it seem like all his past opinions turned out correct (which is categorically false, but nobody bats .1000, so no harm no foul).

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Hockey is like the only sport whose front offices are mostly filled by former players, its part of the culture of the sport. It doesn't mean its the right way.

But anyways, I still think it's a bit early to say who was right and who was wrong about Brady. I still think they left some potential on the board to grab him at the 4 spot, but he's been awesome so far and has a great future

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I don’t think anyone thinks tierney is great. But sucks? You simply can’t put up that many points if you “suck”. What do you want to do with him? What should we do with him if he sucks? He’s cheap. Under contract. And we’re garbage.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Lol so many posters got this when they said ceci was no good.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In defence. He has come out and said he was wrong about tkatchuk. The guys that defend the players NEVER admit they’re wrong. Smith is still very good. Ceci is still very good. We’re still not pros. Those guys must be good with the pros keep signing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad