Friedman: Hoffman is on the trade block in Ottawa

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We've heard Julie Turris and Marlee Hammond comment. They didn't mention Monika Caryk by name. So, until they say "yes, it was Monika Caryk", the story is one sided. If they named names, that would be something entirely different. And as mentioned, in this day and age, it's not hard to trace things back. As well, if there was any guilt, Hoffman would have lawyered up and not participate in the league investigation to get to the bottom of this. Once again, there's something off about this. I don't doubt that the Karlsson's have experienced online bullying, but there's more going on here than what the general public knows. Until the full story is released, everything is conjecture and speculation.

Oh, give us all a break. They have been referring to the statements made by EK's wife in which she made claims against Monika Caryk. If they weren't talking about her, who did they talk about? The Tooth fairy?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
We've heard Julie Turris and Marlee Hammond comment. They didn't mention Monika Caryk by name. So, until they say "yes, it was Monika Caryk", the story is one sided. If they named names, that would be something entirely different. And as mentioned, in this day and age, it's not hard to trace things back. As well, if there was any guilt, Hoffman would have lawyered up and not participate in the league investigation to get to the bottom of this. Once again, there's something off about this. I don't doubt that the Karlsson's have experienced online bullying, but there's more going on here than what the general public knows. Until the full story is released, everything is conjecture and speculation.

Common sense isn’t all that common.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Homesick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
However, in complete fairness, we've only heard one side. Until Hoffman, his wife and his legal team respond, it's still one sided. On the flip side, as a guy who works in IT and has been working in IT for over 20 years, this whole scenario has set warning bells off. Something definitely isn't on the up and up here because stuff like this is easily traced. I really can't see Hoffman's fiance doing something like this with repercussions that could potential be NHL career ending. Something just doesn't sit right about this whole scenario.
She did it, lots of proof its been going around Ottawa for a while. She has a history of this behavior.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Well, obviously, if a gaggle of wives are discussing another woman while expressing sympathy for a grieving mother being harassed, they clearly are basing their opinions on the totality of objective evidence and logic, because obviously women are independent thinkers who never jump to conclusions, or hold grudges, or gang up on others, or say petty, vindictive, hurtful or untrue things about each other...obviously.
Hoffman's girlmay be guilty of all that and more, but we don't know that. And a gaggle of wives and girlfriends bandwagon-bashing the accused is not evidence--except among internet forum lemmings.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, obviously, if a gaggle of wives are discussing another woman while expressing sympathy for a grieving mother being harassed, they clearly are basing their opinions on the totality of objective evidence and logic, because obviously women are independent thinkers who never jump to conclusions, or hold grudges, or gang up on others, or say petty, vindictive, hurtful or untrue things about each other...obviously.
Hoffman's girlmay be guilty of all that and more, but we don't know that. And a gaggle of wives and girlfriends bandwagon-bashing the accused is not evidence--except among internet forum lemmings.
What we do know is Mrs. Karlsson was granted an order of protection. Those are only awarded when a judge feels there is a likely chance of a future crime happening. So, at the very least, it has been proven to a judge that Hoffman's fiance is a threat to the Karlsson's

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
His new teammates might not care much but they may still be suspicious and if his gf starts acting odd people may be quick to draw a conclusion. There's going to be a stigma surrounding her from now on (Right or Wrong). Putting toothpaste back in the tube is a messy ordeal. In the mean time, this situation likely won't be resolved for some time which means Hoffman will likely have reduced value for a while. If the allegations are true, who wants her near their lockerroom? If she could write those horrible things to a mother in mourning over a miscarriage what is she capable of doing the rest of the time? There's no guarantee that Hoffman will be accepting of the findings if she is found guilty. Love can make people blind to the faults of their significant others.

I dont think his gf will ever have to be near the locker room. If she did post those messages, I doubt she will make many new friends. That said, its not like what she did was unforgivable, i think this is a non story after a few months.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dont think his gf will ever have to be near the locker room. If she did post those messages, I doubt she will make many new friends. That said, its not like what she did was unforgivable, i think this is a non story after a few months.
Yes, what she did was absolutely unforgivable.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What should the ask be here? late 1st+ decent prospect? 2nd + great prospect?

with what came out shortly after you posted this=--I think no shit really is the response now

They should have dumped him the moment they found out about the trouble--Sens fans can argue(not all will)--with the kind of trouble that we are talking about--there are teams that will just stay away from him now

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

lets see of charges are filed

also--most teams have lots of get togethers with wives and girlfriend and when the team is on the road--the wives and girlfriends usually mingle

usually wives and girlfriends form a tight knit group

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I have read the story here and there, and tired reading half a story, anybody can tell me what actually happen and the why she did this to EK’s wife?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Hello casual sexism

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Ugh. The tone of this post...

Setting that aside for a moment, I will admit it has occurred to me that, while other significant others piling on makes a compelling set of circumstantial evidence, there is the chance that they're supporting a friend going through a difficult situation without concrete supporting evidence. This goes for any group of people -- they're inclined to believe/side with/support a friend. I've had friends going through a divorce explain to me how their soon-to-be ex's behavior is making their life a living hell, and I admit I've held negative opinions of the other person at first. However, sometimes my friend's view of things has no proven to be the case once "both sides" were heard.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
What we do know is Mrs. Karlsson was granted an order of protection. Those are only awarded when a judge feels there is a likely chance of a future crime happening. So, at the very least, it has been proven to a judge that Hoffman's fiance is a threat to the Karlsson's

Nope, nothing has been granted as of yet. Mrs. Karlsson did file for one yes, but that only proves that SHE believes that it was Caryk.

Reactions: Shwabeal

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It should have no effect. Whether Karl is here or not next year, Hoffman can't be around this team and play in this city.

In the sense of if Karlsson signs an extension or gets traded. They can't have them playing in the same conference and when they play one another, Hoffman would likely have to be in the pressbox of the two.

I'm also sorry for the sense you're a Senators fan, but even if this were in the Jets case-scenario, this would leave a bad stench in the dressing room for years so sadly Karlsson might have to go and even he knows that.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Not unforgivable. If Hoffman stays with her I will highly doubt any wives/girlfriends will talk with her again and none of the guys will deal with him either outside of the rink regardless of what team he's on. If you had a teammate whos wife wished another teammates kid dead and your teammate to have broken legs and ended his career, how would you feel being around that guy? I can guarantee I would not talk to that person as much as humanly possible.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I could see what you are saying, but the fact is she got an order of protection granted. That means to a major extent both sides have come out and the DA granted the motion to the Karlsson's. Sure there could be extenuated circumstances, but fault has been shown to a certain extent and I'm not seeing anything about an order of protection being granted on the other side. Somebody has crossed the line according to the courts, that's the most important thing.

Ms Caryk has not been served with the Bond. Per Hoffman's agent, she and Hoffman found out through the media. So she absolutely has not had a chance to present her side. The Order is granted if the evidence presented in the complaint taken in the light most favorable to the person seeking an order reasonably indicates danger to the person or their property absent the order. Then the order is served on the other party who can choose to sign it or contest. If they contest, it goes to a hearing which probably won't happen for a month at minimum.

The amount of assumption and misinformation on this is astounding. The application for the bond is online. The evidence is not overwhelming at all. In fact, there is no evidence really, only an accusation.

If I am the Blues, I do some due diligence on whether the issue with Ms,. Caryk was specific to Karlsson's wife or a genera issue, on whether Pietrangelo would be ok bringing Hoffman in (he lost a baby recently), and on how Hoffman would feel about some guidelines to separate Ms Caryk from other player wives if this proves to be true. If I like the answers, I absolutely trade for him given what his value is hinted at being. There is no indication he did anything wrong except believe his girlfriend of 10 years, and he is a good hockey player. Given that he is LHS, he is not my first choice; however, Id definitely take him for scraps.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Last time I checked, the other woman was Erik Karlssons wife, and the mean things she was saying to her was wishing death / harm upon her unborn child. And she also wished harm upon Karlsson. Get real and stop trying to water this down.

Numerous wives of players that have played on the team with Hoffman and Karlsson are saying this isn't a shocker.

Lets stop acting like it's just some gossip that has no weight to it.
Can you tell me where I can find the numerous wives claiming craziness. Genuinely interested in hearing it, I haven’t followed this too closely

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

She was granted the order of protection but it wasn't finalized which is a much higher standard. Below is filing to seek the order. I cropped the bottom which is left empty for the court to fill out. The entire thing can be found here. The "evidence" is highlighted in blue. It is hardly damning evidence, and doesn't prove anything. In one-sided procedures like this, evidence is generally viewed in the light most favorable to the party presenting. So by that standard the question would be "if what she presented is true, is Ms. Caryk a threat?" That is vastly different than what you said.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_ericmacramalla_files_2018_06_K1.png

Reactions: TychoFan

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think we have to find out what happens with Karlsson first before we find out what happens to Hoffman.

The fact that Ottawa is attempting to make hofman this quickly suggests they believe that karlsson might be staying.

If they knew for a fact that karlsson was gone, they could take their time with Hoffman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad