Friedman: Hoffman is on the trade block in Ottawa

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Big name is irrelevant under these circumstances. This is a still a story whether or not he pots 27 goals a season or 7.

Digital crimes are different then analog crimes. No they haven't got an envelope with her finger print on it, a digital trail maybe more convoluted but not any less of a case if it indeed leads to the accused.

Your also ignoring a multitude of scenarios:

1) Hoffman is genuinely ignorant and clueless
2) Hoffman is willfully ignorant
3) Hoffman is protecting his reputation, if the "truth" comes out, he can default to scenario #1 and say this completely blindsided him and his life has been changed irreparably
4) Hoffman does have knowledge, is attempting to save face and lacks the knowledge of Computer Science to know that this is not the perfect crime

Or Hoffman knew but did not know how bad it was and told his GF to try and get along . I am sure every player on a team does not get along with every other player but they suck it up and play for the team .

Does matter . Hoffman GF is the new Tanyo Harding and it will hurt Hoffman in the pocket . If he truly never knew and it is proven that his GF did it and he leaves her her and her Lawyers are a coming . They been together for 10 years so it is viewed as an marriage . He he stays with her no team will want him unless it is cheap 1 year deals that they can walk away from or bury him in the minor if he GF flips again

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Then they should have done an internal investigation. The Senators knew about this for months, but did nothing. Most others (including teammates and S/O's) knew about it. The blame falls squarely on Ottawa, and that cannot even be disputed.

They did look into it and they have been shopping Hoffman. I don’t know what your expectation is. Also what are they to blame for?

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Reactions: Majorityof1

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Yeah, there is a lot of nonsense in that.

Just because you can real off a list of 5 teams that are looking for scoring help doesn't mean they are interested in Hoffman under the current circumstances. Why should Hoffman waive his NTC so the Senators can "open up the market"? He's effectively talking about maximising the return in different laguage.

As for Karlsson, I doubt that the Senators are waiting until July 1 to feel out that situation.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Ottawa citizen article says an application was "sworn in" in early May, that sounded to me like one was granted.

The quote from the Citizen: "The application for a peace bond sworn in front of Justice of the Peace Louise Logue on May 4, alleges that Monika Caryk, Hoffman’s partner, had threatened Melinda and husband Erik Karlsson from November 2017 to the date the information was sworn to".

The application for peace bond which I showed a page or two back was dated May 4. That is the day Ms. Karlsson filed. An Administrative Justice of the Peace in Canada, is basically a Court Clerk. So all that says is that she swore her allegations were true when she filed. It is highly doubtful that the police could have conducted an adequate investigation on the same day she filed to pursue the bond. That absolutely would happen before the bond was finalized. Here is the procedure for getting a bond. Again, according to Hoffman's attorney, he and Ms. Caryk learned about the peace bond in the papers. That means they were never contacted, which they have to be by Candain law before the peace bond is finalized.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The quote from the Citizen: "The application for a peace bond sworn in front of Justice of the Peace Louise Logue on May 4, alleges that Monika Caryk, Hoffman’s partner, had threatened Melinda and husband Erik Karlsson from November 2017 to the date the information was sworn to".

The application for peace bond which I showed a page or two back was dated May 4. That is the day Ms. Karlsson filed. An Administrative Justice of the Peace in Canada, is basically a Court Clerk. So all that says is that she swore her allegations were true when she filed. It is highly doubtful that the police could have conducted an adequate investigation on the same day she filed to pursue the bond. That absolutely would happen before the bond was finalized. Here is the procedure for getting a bond. Again, according to Hoffman's attorney, he and Ms. Caryk learned about the peace bond in the papers. That means they were never contacted, which they have to be by Candain law before the peace bond is finalized.
Yeah dude, I get it, I was stating what caused my misunderstanding.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
How badly do you need Hoffman on your team that you would overlook even the appearance of impropriety on his part? People need to understand that the NHL is business funded by its audience. Mrs. Karlsson is not the only woman to ever have a stillbirth. There are plenty of couples who go through this. By acquiring Hoffman, you are alienating a portion of your potential customers. Not just the mothers, but anyone who thinks mocking stillbirths is bad. For what? 27 goals? Even if Hoffman’s girlfriend is exhonerates, I can’t imagine any GM jumping down that rabbit hole.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
How badly do you need Hoffman on your team that you would overlook even the appearance of impropriety on his part? People need to understand that the NHL is business funded by its audience. Mrs. Karlsson is not the only woman to ever have a stillbirth. There are plenty of couples who go through this. By acquiring Hoffman, you are alienating a portion of your potential customers. Not just the mothers, but anyone who thinks mocking stillbirths is bad. For what? 27 goals? Even if Hoffman’s girlfriend is exhonerates, I can’t imagine any GM jumping down that rabbit hole.
how many people in the general fanbase would even have a clue? I dont mean fans like us or ones that even remotely follow the team outside of social media. On places like FB, I'm shocked just how clueless Blues fans are on there are with the basic mechanics of the NHL and how it works. Heck, even drafts and draft pick/prospects.....absolutely dumb. If Hoffman gets moved to a US Market, most fans won't have a clue about Hoffmans off ice issues unless it comes up again.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
how many people in the general fanbase would even have a clue? I dont mean fans like us or ones that even remotely follow the team outside of social media. On places like FB, I'm shocked just how clueless Blues fans are on there are with the basic mechanics of the NHL and how it works. Heck, even drafts and draft pick/prospects.....absolutely dumb. If Hoffman gets moved to a US Market, most fans won't have a clue about Hoffmans off ice issues unless it comes up again.
I’m not so sure about that. People get second chances and whatnot, but the stink still follows. I guess we’ll just have to see how it turns out.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
giphy.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I’m not so sure about that. People get second chances and whatnot, but the stink still follows. I guess we’ll just have to see how it turns out.
It's probably more of an issue in Canada, but from what I've seen in the US market, Only a fraction of fans would even know about it.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

To put Hoffman's situation into perspective here is an article concerning Doug Gilmour when he played with the St, Louis Blues.

December 28, 1988
CLAYTON, Mo. — A grand jury has decided not to indict former St. Louis Blues hockey player Doug Gilmour on charges related to alleged sexual relations with a 13-year-old girl.
Gilmour, who now plays for the Calgary Flames, testified for about two hours Tuesday.
"I'm just happy that it's gone well," Gilmour said. "I'm just kind of looking forward to getting on with hockey and my life."
Gilmour's attorney, Gordon Ankney, said his client maintained his innocence in his second appearance before the grand jury.
John Ross, chief trial attorney for St. Louis County prosecuting attorney George Westfall, said he was surprised by the decision. Ross said part of the evidence was a diary in which the girl described a string of sexual encounters with Gilmour.
"All I can say is the grand jury heard all of the evidence," Ross said.
Gilmour, 25, was traded from the Blues to the Flames in a seven-player deal Sept. 6, shortly after a $1-million civil suit was filed against him and his wife, Robyne, by the parents of the girl.

pixel.gif

Supposedly the parents of the girl, who was the Gilmour's babysitter, had read the girl's diary and found out about the affair.
The Grand Jury chose not to indict Gilmour, however the Grand Jury did indict the plaintiff's lawyer for withholding a crime.
He had gone to the Blues seeking compensation directly rather than forcing a minor to be dragged through a trial, but they dropped the charge.
Which side is the truth...no one knows.

St. Louis subsequently sold him for cheap to Calgary who then were fleeced by Cliff Fletcher and the Maple Leafs.
Gilmour was able to put this behind him and went on to have a hall of fame career and be considered one of the best Maple Leafs ever.
There was/is very little "stink" that followed Gilmour.

Some team will trade for Hoffman for peanuts and probably be very happy with the on ice result.
Hoffman will be on his best behaviour to ensure that his next (last?) contract will be huge.
I am sure that Dorion has already gotten some offers by teams trying to help make his "problem" go away.

Last edited:

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
To put Hoffman's situation into perspective here is an article concerning Doug Gilmour when he played with the St, Louis Blues.

December 28, 1988
CLAYTON, Mo. — A grand jury has decided not to indict former St. Louis Blues hockey player Doug Gilmour on charges related to alleged sexual relations with a 13-year-old girl.
Gilmour, who now plays for the Calgary Flames, testified for about two hours Tuesday.
"I'm just happy that it's gone well," Gilmour said. "I'm just kind of looking forward to getting on with hockey and my life."
Gilmour's attorney, Gordon Ankney, said his client maintained his innocence in his second appearance before the grand jury.
John Ross, chief trial attorney for St. Louis County prosecuting attorney George Westfall, said he was surprised by the decision. Ross said part of the evidence was a diary in which the girl described a string of sexual encounters with Gilmour.
Gilmour, 25, was traded from the Blues to the Flames in a seven-player deal Sept. 6, shortly after a $1-million civil suit was filed against him and his wife, Robyne, by the parents of the girl.

pixel.gif

Supposedly the parents of the girl, who was the Gilmour's babysitter, had read the girl's diary and found out about the affair.
The Grand Jury chose not to indict Gilmour, however the Grand Jury did indict the plaintiff's lawyer for withholding a crime.
He had gone to the Blues seeking compensation directly rather than forcing a minor to be dragged through a trial, but they dropped the charge.

St. Louis subsequently sold him for cheap to Calgary who then were fleeced by Cliff Fletcher and the Maple Leafs.
Gilmour was able to put this behind him and went on to have a hall of fame career and be considered one of the best Maple Leafs ever.

Some team will trade for Hoffman for peanuts and probably be very happy with the on ice result.
Hoffman will be on his best behaviour to ensure that his next (last?) contract will be huge.
I am sure that Dorion has already gotten some offers by teams trying to help make his "problem" go away.
All good points. But 30 years later, He’s still associated with this accusation. Some people are quicker than others to turn a blind eye. But, I am not. Craig McTavish still killed someone. As did Danny Heatley. Shanahan slept with Janney’s wife. OJ Simpson is more famous for being acquitted of double homicide than for a NFL HOF career. All of these people had great careers, but are also known for not-so-great reasons.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013

December 28, 1988

pixel.gif

Gilmour was a 24 yr centre who'd already had a 105 pt season. Hoffman, at 28, is a winger whose best year has been 61 pts.

Add to this that Gilmour's day was pre-internet so when he moved half a continent away, the trolls did not badger the media into publishing clickbait.

Ultimately, Gilmour was able leave the story behind him (although here we are talking about it) and became a key piece on a cup winning team.

Hoffman is not without talent, but it does not approach Gilmour's making he value suspect under these circumstances. On top of that, Hoffman's situation involved a teammate....not sure a GM can overlook that when considering bringing that bag of gear into the locker-room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad