Recalled/Assigned: Hodgman Called Up

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Duh, have you not read this thread??? The Coyotes have no intention of developing players so why have a Director of Player Development.
So he received a ''leave of absence''. Why? If he is in charge of player development, why let him leave at such a important time?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I like your posts PI but I think you will be alone in these thoughts.
Domi's overall offensive talent is not too far off MacKinnon's. If Domi were 2-3 inches taller he would've challenged for a Top 5 selection in that draft.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
So he received a ''leave of absence''. Why? If he is in charge of player development, why let him leave at such a important time?

He went overseas last year fairly late in the year so it wasn't that big of a deal. Steve Sullivan was named development coach this summer and King was in an advisory role for the coaches.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Duh, have you not read this thread??? The Coyotes have no intention of developing players so why have a Director of Player Development.

:laugh:

It depends on how comfortable they are with the department without him. He'll be back by March. Maybe they feel that's when the real work will get done. And technically, he's scouting the KHL while he's there, so it's not like he's doing no work there.
I don't know how the deptartment is set up or what his full duties would be in the meantime. I'm inclined to give them all the benefit of the doubt.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hey, "he was our second best winger last year... and he's a pretty good guy"

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Although I am curious to see how Biz would look on the McVictory line... I thought we had already closed that chapter and got Crombeen specifically to replace him.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Any chance Biz plays D for Portland & we get a good look to see if he could add anything to the main roster in that capacity?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well, looks like we're still going to have this lurking around in the background:

18j4sgf2mifzkjpg.jpg

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Am I the only one not mad at this? I think Biz knows his time in the NHL is done which is why he "signed" with an EIHL team a month and which is why he wasn't signed at all during free agency. He's a great guy, not the best hockey player, but a great guy. What's the harm of signing him when he doesn't have a decent job? If he had any chance of playing on the Coyotes again, it would have been announced that the Coyotes signed him, not Portland. Sounds like the Pirates need a little rough stuff anyways, and I'm sure he won't be stealing time from our young players, they aren't going to use him for a scoring role, so he won't be out on the PP while Samuelsson sits on the bench.

Not mad at this. Not excited or anything, just not mad at this. I'm happy for Paul, too. He's probably a lot more comfortable with the Pirates than he would be in the EIHL with a bunch of strangers.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
You're not alone Rabbit, that's pretty much how I feel. No problem with Biz heading to Portland.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think that's what most people wanted to see. I don't think anyone was advocating playing all of Hodgman, Lessio, Rieder, Domi, Swarz and Gaudet. But instead of one or two to spice things up, we got zero, and resigned Moss. That's where the frustration is coming from.

I get the frustration. Just as of yet, nobody who has been sent to the A has proven Maloney wrong.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Am I the only one not mad at this? I think Biz knows his time in the NHL is done which is why he "signed" with an EIHL team a month and which is why he wasn't signed at all during free agency. He's a great guy, not the best hockey player, but a great guy. What's the harm of signing him when he doesn't have a decent job? If he had any chance of playing on the Coyotes again, it would have been announced that the Coyotes signed him, not Portland. Sounds like the Pirates need a little rough stuff anyways, and I'm sure he won't be stealing time from our young players, they aren't going to use him for a scoring role, so he won't be out on the PP while Samuelsson sits on the bench.

Not mad at this. Not excited or anything, just not mad at this. I'm happy for Paul, too. He's probably a lot more comfortable with the Pirates than he would be in the EIHL with a bunch of strangers.

If Biz plays in England his career is essentially over. If nothing else Biz has been a loyal soldier to this franchise. Arranging for this opportunity is a reward. It’s the right thing to do. I hope he gets another NHL chance somewhere else.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Eh, Biz was once a pretty highly regarded D-man prospect if I remember correct. Wasn't he the MVP of the CHL top prospects game at one time? He can't hurt Portland anyway. Plus you guys all wanted the touch crease clearer, maybe we found it if he can get back into it. :sarcasm:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If Biz plays in England his career is essentially over. If nothing else Biz has been a loyal soldier to this franchise. Arranging for this opportunity is a reward. It’s the right thing to do. I hope he gets another NHL chance somewhere else.

I have no problem with this except that he's too close for my comfort. I don't want Tippett to have that security blanket the next time we're all banged up.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I have no problem with this except that he's too close for my comfort. I don't want Tippett to have that security blanket the next time we're all banged up.

I thought Tippett hated Biz though? For all intents in purposes, in advanced stats and the eye test Biz always played well, yet he only played in like half the games for like 4 minutes in each game.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought Tippett hated Biz though? For all intents in purposes, in advanced stats and the eye test Biz always played well, yet he only played in like half the games for like 4 minutes in each game.

Advanced stats aren't always better than the eye test. I would not be comfortable with more than five mins per game for Biz. He's effective in a very limited role in very sheltered minutes.

The days of a full time enforcer are ending quickly based on the trends and signings we saw this past summer. This is a favor to give him the opportunity to extend his career with a non-Coyote team. If we were interested in keeping him we would have signed him to a two way deal. We can't bring him up

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I like it. Hope he does well enough to earn an NHL contract away from Arizona. I personally think he's an NHL player who just needs a shot at playing more minutes and expanding his role.
Huh? Drinking today? He's a moderately useful role player, nothing more. He's in line behind Moss, Mac, Chip, Klink, Crombeen and the rest of the gang that can't shoot straight. If he gets a NHL call-up to Glendale, I'll ... I dunno what I'll do but I'll be pissed.
Any chance Biz plays D for Portland & we get a good look to see if he could add anything to the main roster in that capacity?
How many year ago was this? 7 NHL 1-ways + Gormley ... we need 3 injuries before this is even considered.
Agree that Biz is better and more useful than Klink, but he's not so much better I want to pay both. Musical chairs and Klink won. Go away, Biz. Don't want the organization paying $600k for an emergency winger who has no chance of growing into an NHL scorer. If the 1-ways are hurt and Lessio and Rieder and Samuelsson and Gaudet are ALL injured ... call me up. I'll chirp the other team and be invisible for 2 minutes a night and grab hold of a Shark and punch him for the cost of printing me the #2 jersey and sharpening my skates.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Bissonnette is on a PTO with Portland. If signed, he'll be a depth signing for the Pirates to replace the guys that come up here to Glendale.

The odds of him being a Coyote again are still very remote.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He went overseas last year fairly late in the year so it wasn't that big of a deal. Steve Sullivan was named development coach this summer and King was in an advisory role for the coaches.

Your right, I forgot about Sullivan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad