Recalled/Assigned: Hodgman Called Up

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Because they are not ready yet, it is that simple. Some of our prospects should be tearing up the AHL if they were really that great, and ready to be in the NHL full time. We will have more injuries though, and more guys playing poorly, so I think more prospects will get a chance this year to play in the NHL. The play so far in the AHL, is not forcing Tip and DM to call anyone up, not even close.

Not all of them are ready, but also the team isn't made of only our top prospects. I don't know much about the roster , but if they have no depth after reider lessio Samuelson hodgeman swarz than they're going to suck. Also who is down there on d besides gormley? He just played one game so far, and outside of smaby I don't know if anyone else is any good. Also who is the goalie? What my rambling mess is really saying is while I don't know why the team is bad, it may not be that our top guys are at fault, because there are so many other things to a hockey team besides your top 5 forwards.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Grats to Hodgman! Give this guy consistent ice time! If he blows it, fine, but give him a chance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Avs suck. Does that mean MacKinnon isn't ready?

No, it means there weak D is finally catching up with them, as is there average goal tending. MacKinnon proved he was ready last year, he is not the problem. Colorado is a little better version of the Oilers with a little better goalie in my opinion.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Average goaltending? Did you not watch Varlamov at all last year?

Yes, average this year among there goalies and not just Varlamov in net. Last year was an aberration anyway for Varlamov. I think Roy caught lightning in a bottle last year too.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No, it means there weak D is finally catching up with them, as is there average goal tending. MacKinnon proved he was ready last year, he is not the problem. Colorado is a little better version of the Oilers with a little better goalie in my opinion.

Yeah. That's...my point?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Avs suck. Does that mean MacKinnon isn't ready?

So you are comparing MacKinnon, a number one pick with hugh talent with our bunch of kids? We don't have anyone close to MacKinnon, and that even includes our parent roster.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So you are comparing MacKinnon, a number one pick with hugh talent with our bunch of kids? We don't have anyone close to MacKinnon, and that even includes our parent roster.

Domi's overall offensive talent is not too far off MacKinnon's. If Domi were 2-3 inches taller he would've challenged for a Top 5 selection in that draft.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
I am an AVS fan stopping by to read up some on Hodgman and this conversation was not what I was expecting to find haha :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I am an AVS fan stopping by to read up some on Hodgman and this conversation was not what I was expecting to find haha :)

Hodgman: Looked great in preseason. Played both special teams. Led team in points scored.
Made roster. Healthy scratched three games. Demoted.
Recalled. Scores goal in first game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Sorry! Haha. I don't actually think the Avs suck despite their start.

My point was only that even bad teams have good players. Arizona and Portland are no different. Because Portland is underperforming doesn't mean that ALL of the players there are. Such an obvious assertion that I can't believe I had to make it in the first place, and am frankly shocked that I'm still here explaining it. I guess every board has "those" posters. Haha.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Because they are not ready yet, it is that simple. Some of our prospects should be tearing up the AHL if they were really that great, and ready to be in the NHL full time. We will have more injuries though, and more guys playing poorly, so I think more prospects will get a chance this year to play in the NHL. The play so far in the AHL, is not forcing Tip and DM to call anyone up, not even close.

Based on what I've seen we look like a team of individuals that were just thrown together versus a team made up of mostly returnees who are all on the same page and executing a system. That being said Edwards should be under close scrutiny by Regeir (who looks after AHL team).

All that being said, our players in the A haven't been getting it done thus far offensively. Nobody has made an offensive statement that would put the pressure on Maloney to switch things up. Even Hodgman's promotion was based on his training camp, not what he accomplished in three games. Opportunity created by injury is not the same as lighting it up and removing the excuses.

We were only ever going to see 1-2 rookies make the team at the start of camp. Those expecting a huge influx were doomed to be disappointed no matter what. I want to see Lessio and Reider on this team but I want it to be because they are dominating at their current level. Unfortunately we are not there just yet. Some positive signs based on Reiders 2 goals last night and the chances Lessio's speed have created in recent games.

Glad Hodgman got his chance and scored his first game. It's up to him now to keep his spot and be step 1 of a youth revolution.

Also, I wonder if this was a Dave King signing influence.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We were only ever going to see 1-2 rookies make the team at the start of camp. Those expecting a huge influx were doomed to be disappointed no matter what.

I think that's what most people wanted to see. I don't think anyone was advocating playing all of Hodgman, Lessio, Rieder, Domi, Swarz and Gaudet. But instead of one or two to spice things up, we got zero, and resigned Moss. That's where the frustration is coming from.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
King is back coaching in the KHL this season - hopefully he can identify a couple more guys that have slipped through the cracks like Hodgman.

When did this happen? He was just named special advisor to the coaching staff in the off season. Thought he wanted to spend more time with family back here?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When did this happen? He was just named special advisor to the coaching staff in the off season. Thought he wanted to spend more time with family back here?

When Lokomotiv started the 2014-15 KHL season with three wins in their first nine games, a change was needed. Head coach Sean Simpson and assistant Colin Muller were fired on Saturday, with Anatoly Khomenko taking over as interim coach. But the team wanted to bring back someone they were familiar with.

Enter Dave King. Again.

The 66-year old King was hired by Lokomotiv as their new head coach on Wednesday. He had been working briefly as a consultant with the team until visa issues were worked out. (King will retain his role as Senior Advisor to the Arizona Coyotes coaching staff after the KHL season.)

“All of us in the hockey world have an attachment to this team because of what they went through,†King said after he took the job, receiving a leave of absence from the Phoenix Coyotes, where he’d been working as the team’s development coach. “The plane accident makes it a special organization and it is a long recovery process from that. We have a young team, a good group and a great organization, so that made it intriguing to me.â€

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...e-king-again-to-salvage-season-190926103.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad