Post-Game Talk: Hockeytown ain't what it used to be | Penguins 7, Red Wings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Depends on what you want to happen. If you want Geno digging out pucks along the boards to try to set up Kunitz or whoever is his trigger man, then sure. But if you want Geno scoring goals he needs guys who can interfere a bit, go to the net, create some confusion, play strong on the boards and get him the puck.

Sounds like Rust and Kuhn to me.

Malkin did fine with Jokinen and Neal.
I really want to see more Simon.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is such a strange time for the team. If someone posted that lineup in October as something that could contend, they'd be banned for being a ****ing idiot. But 2 weeks out from the playoffs and that lineup looks like it could roll a lot of teams in the East. Especially with our weirdly good defense that looks like cat **** on paper.

Guess that's why they play the games.

It may not work, but if you start playing the game of just putting guys where they produce best, the most questionable thing in that lineup is the 3rd line, and Geno with Sid. And we all know, if Geno and Sid are on the same line, and it's stuck with for an extended period of time, it's going to work. I don't think they have ever played on the same line where it was actually the gameplan. Putting both of them together would more than likely see both get rolling offensively.

I think that 3rd line gives you some defensive ability, and some scoring ability. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I think that line at least slots 3 players where they should be at this point.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

He'll undoubtedly be on the taxi squad after WBS is bumped

Does anyone know what we can do with Sprong? After his Jr season is over, he'd have to be taxi squad, right? He can't play for WBS?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
He'll undoubtedly be on the taxi squad after WBS is bumped

Does anyone know what we can do with Sprong? After his Jr season is over, he'd have to be taxi squad, right? He can't play for WBS?
I'm pretty sure he'd be able to play for WBS as well as Pittsburgh. That major junior rule doesn't care where the guy plays once his CHL season is over.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Malkin and Crosby on the same line will face the same problem.Both want the puck on their sticks.Malkin is more effective as a center.Keep Kunitz/BB-Crosby-Horny,HBK,Rust-Cullen-Kuhn.Try Simon,Sundqvist,Wison etc with Malkin to find the best fit.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

We need more than fine from Malkin if we're going to win the cup. We need something approaching Talbot/Feds Malkin. Sid is still probably getting top defenders, Geno has to score.

And I didn't see us winning anything with those guys playing with Geno, all they did is cost more money and force Geno to do the grunt work.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm pretty sure he'd be able to play for WBS as well as Pittsburgh. That major junior rule doesn't care where the guy plays once his CHL season is over.

That's good stuff then. Sprong should see some big mins in WBS.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Malkin and Crosby on the same line will face the same problem.Both want the puck on their sticks.Malkin is more effective as a center.Keep Kunitz/BB-Crosby-Horny,HBK,Rust-Cullen-Kuhn.Try Simon,Sundqvist,Wison etc with Malkin to find the best fit.

Sid and Geno have never had an issue playing off of one another. I think the "1 puck" argument is much more valid when speaking about Kessel than anyone else. Sid and Geno would be just fine together. Those two also don't necessarily play defined roles when they are together anyways - it's about how the play shakes out.

It's not ideal, but I think to keep some cohesion and chemistry within the rest of the lineup, if slotting Geno with Sid is the worst thing we have to do, I think we're doing alright. Guys like Sundqvist and Simon should be in WBS to play big roles for that team.

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
7 goals and Crosby with one point? That's too bad. He could have gotten real close to second place.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Kessel´s confidence should be allright after this game. Man, would it be a huge boost if he suddenly goes on a hot streak in April. Can´t express enough about how good Hagelin is, too. Fantastic player. Great defensively, fast as hell, pretty smart and his skillset is not an issue at all.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Sid and Geno have never had an issue playing off of one another. I think the "1 puck" argument is much more valid when speaking about Kessel than anyone else. Sid and Geno would be just fine together. Those two also don't necessarily play defined roles when they are together anyways - it's about how the play shakes out.

It's not ideal, but I think to keep some cohesion and chemistry within the rest of the lineup, if slotting Geno with Sid is the worst thing we have to do, I think we're doing alright. Guys like Sundqvist and Simon should be in WBS to play big roles for that team.

Would anybody be willing to try Sundqvist out with HK for a couple games before the season ends?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ceteris Paribus...

If the team goes into the playoffs clicking the way they are and let's say Geno somehow comes back. I look down the line up at the one line struggling to really add depth to the team. IMO, that's the 4th line of Fehr, Beau, and Sheary/etc. So I take Geno and I put him centering Beau/Fehr. I also spot duty him with Sid/Horny.

It sounds nuts, but you can limit his minutes to become fully healthy and now it makes 4 lines dangerous.

Now obviously the flaws in that idea:
- Bonino isn't really playing better even though his line is clicking. He was still a mess out there and is very inconsistent. We need his play to elevate. The only thing is he's more defensive responsible than Geno.
- Geno isn't even likely to be ready at that time.
- We have other injuries to worry about, too, with #14.
- How do you justify playing Geno, but not fully releasing him to his minutes?

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ceteris Paribus...

If the team goes into the playoffs clicking the way they are and let's say Geno somehow comes back. I look down the line up at the one line struggling to really add depth to the team. IMO, that's the 4th line of Fehr, Beau, and Sheary/etc. So I take Geno and I put him centering Beau/Fehr. I also spot duty him with Sid/Horny.

It sounds nuts, but you can limit his minutes to become fully healthy and now it makes 4 lines dangerous.

Now obviously the flaws in that idea:
- Bonino isn't really playing better even though his line is clicking. He was still a mess out there and is very inconsistent. We need his play to elevate. The only thing is he's more defensive responsible than Geno.
- Geno isn't even likely to be ready at that time.
- We have other injuries to worry about, too, with #14.
- How do you justify playing Geno, but not fully releasing him to his minutes?

Maybe at this point, you ask Geno who he thinks most fits his playstyle?

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Maybe not the worst idea, honestly. Especially if Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel catch fire like they did today. We know Sid and Geno together will probably work.

Hornqvist goes to the net and just lets Sid and Geno skate.

Malkin-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kunitz-Fehr-Bennett
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rust

:dunno: I think that also very nicely slots guys on the line they should probably work on. That 4th line makes me giggle because they could be an x-factor in a playoff series.

If existing lines continue to work when Malvin comes back, I think you look at

Kunitz Crosby horny
Fehr Malvin Bennett
Hagen bones kessell
Rust Cullen Kuhn

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not to harp on Geno. I don't want anyone to take this post that way... but the Hags/Kessel combo has been better together with or without Geno. They were using their speed to light it up. Get them a good solid 2 way center, and I think that's fine. They are making Bonino, who is REALLY struggling at times out there, look great and have a 5 point night. Bonino is playing average hockey at best this year... so there is no need to throw Geno on that line because he's just not needed.

So asking him about his playstyle? Naah. Just coach. Tell him where he's playing. I'd really like him to be with Sid on the top line and i'd feel great about our top 3 lines, but there is no chance in hell that Kunitz is dropping to the 4th line. I just know that won't happen.

Geno, Sid, Horny
Kessel, Hags, Bonino
Cullen, Rust, Kuhn

Then you get to throw out a 4th line of Kunitz, Fehr, and Beau. That is ****ing legit.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Not to harp on Geno. I don't want anyone to take this post that way... but the Hags/Kessel combo has been better together with or without Geno. They were using their speed to light it up. Get them a good solid 2 way center, and I think that's fine. They are making Bonino, who is REALLY struggling at times out there, look great and have a 5 point night. Bonino is playing average hockey at best this year... so there is no need to throw Geno on that line because he's just not needed.

So asking him about his playstyle? Naah. Just coach. Tell him where he's playing. I'd really like him to be with Sid on the top line and i'd feel great about our top 3 lines, but there is no chance in hell that Kunitz is dropping to the 4th line. I just know that won't happen.

Geno, Sid, Horny
Kessel, Hags, Bonino
Cullen, Rust, Kuhn

Then you get to throw out a 4th line of Kunitz, Fehr, and Beau. That is ****ing legit.

i think you probably want to have Malkin be the centre piece in the second line and then push the kesell and Cullen lines down to 3and4. Malvin can carry fehr and Bennett on a legit second line and having the others pushed down will create very tough match ups. I just don't think you'd get a better result putting Malkin on the wing,

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Maybe at this point, you ask Geno who he thinks most fits his playstyle?

Which would probably be met with "I just want to help team win anyway I can. Other lines working well." He doesn't work with Hornqvist, he hasn't worked with Kessel, KCR is killing it and I'm not sure that KR would translate what they're doing to Malkin (plus workload and QoC changing), if Bennett is healthy and working with CH then tinkering with that could be a problem. Malkin also really isn't a winger and him with Crosby is never what you'd think it would be. If KCH comes back then Malkin-Bennett is probably the next option up until KCH goes down in flames. MCH with probably only be seen if KCH faltered at the right time. I get the idea behind MCH, too, I just wouldn't bet on seeing it until something went wrong and it's not a flawless solution.

They're in a weird place with Malkin. Slotting him back in isn't the simplest thing and you can't not put him back in when he's ready. He also shouldn't be given the scraps that are left over, but he might.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Geno holds the puck and swoops around too much. He doesn't fit Kessel. Crosby's style does. I really wish we would stick hagelin and Kessel with him.

Horny would get screwed is the only issue. Seems like he can literally only play with Sid or he's kinda bad.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Geno, Sid, Horny
Kessel, Hags, Bonino
Cullen, Rust, Kuhn

here's the issue with that: Sullivan has had Sid and Geno together for about 2 seconds of ES, non-empty net time. I can't see him going the other way and having them play together exclusively.

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Which would probably be met with "I just want to help team win anyway I can. Other lines working well." He doesn't work with Hornqvist, he hasn't worked with Kessel, KCR is killing it and I'm not sure that KR would translate what they're doing to Malkin (plus workload and QoC changing), if Bennett is healthy and working with CH then tinkering with that could be a problem. Malkin also really isn't a winger and him with Crosby is never what you'd think it would be. If KCH comes back then Malkin-Bennett is probably the next option up until KCH goes down in flames. MCH with probably only be seen if KCH faltered at the right time. I get the idea behind MCH, too, I just wouldn't bet on seeing it until something went wrong and it's not a flawless solution.

They're in a weird place with Malkin. Slotting him back in isn't the simplest thing and you can't not put him back in when he's ready. He also shouldn't be given the scraps that are left over, but he might.

Depending on how we draw penalties (which Rust is great at), Malkin can make up for time lost on the PP...

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Geno holds the puck and swoops around too much. He doesn't fit Kessel. Crosby's style does. I really wish we would stick hagelin and Kessel with him.

Horny would get screwed is the only issue. Seems like he can literally only play with Sid or he's kinda bad.

Yes, and Geno tries to use Kessel as his triggerman, which has never been a strength of Kessel. He's not Brett Hull. Phil is a playmaker with a great snap shot.

I'm surprised Hornqvist doesn't work with Malkin. Seems like he could screen the goalie and score garbage goals off of Malkin shots.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
here's the issue with that: Sullivan has had Sid and Geno together for about 2 seconds of ES, non-empty net time. I can't see him going the other way and having them play together exclusively.

I get that... but I believe Bonino had like 16 total points prior to today's game. His line today had 13 total points. :laugh: That's ****ing crazy! That would be enough for me to keep looking at that line until they prove me wrong.

Ultimately we just aren't anywhere close to making this decision because Geno wouldn't even be ready by the 2nd round. Personally, if our powerplay doesn't figure it out, we aren't making it to the second round short of a series stealing performance by #29 or #87.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I get that... but I believe Bonino had like 16 total points prior to today's game. His line today had 13 total points. :laugh: That's ****ing crazy! That would be enough for me to keep looking at that line until they prove me wrong.

Ultimately we just aren't anywhere close to making this decision because Geno wouldn't even be ready by the 2nd round. Personally, if our powerplay doesn't figure it out, we aren't making it to the second round short of a series stealing performance by #29 or #87.

Kirk and I talk about this **** a lot in private. I get moving Malkin away from Kessel/Hagelin.

Basically the premise is: Kessel and Hagelin are going to produce whatever they're going to produce independent of Malkin's existence. I think that's definitely true against Detroit and the like, and maybe it's true in the regular season, but I do wonder if they'll need more support from the center in the post season.

I also get trying to maximize Malkin - I've been banging the "Kessel and Hagelin don't really help HIM" drum for a while - but since the coach never tried any combinations, it's hard to know exactly where that is.

Maybe the best bet, if he's not going to move Malkin to Sid's wing - and my note about Sullivan not doing it wasn't a personal objection, just my feeling that Sullivan won't even consider it - is to use Malkin with other players who missed a lot of time and haven't really found a home.

Malkin with Fehr and Bennett would have a lot of size, and everyone on that line would move at a speed with which Malkin could work. (I think this is a line Kirk had suggested to me)

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Fehr - Malkin - Bennett
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhn - Cullen - Rust

Have no clue if that line works or not, but it's the least-upsetting of the apple cart and puts Malkin with two players people have wanted to see Malkin with at various times this season.

My two biggest issues with that lineup are: 1) Malkin isn't coming back any time soon, so why bother worrying about it and 2) it's so hard to consider a lineup that relies on Bennett playing in the top-6.

I'll also say that every time Bennett has returned from injury this season, I've been really impressed with his play. That's not true this time around. I feel he's been going through the motions, and I was disappointed that he went up to Sid's line today, because I felt there were other players who deserved it more.

It's a tricky situation, but I'll take the same position I took in 2012 with Sid and Dupuis and Kunitz: if/when Geno returns and the Pens are still alive, Malkin deserves to be given NHL players, and not put in the backseat to Nick Bonino. What's best for the team, of course, but getting Geno going IS what's best for the team.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Fehr - Malkin - Bennett
Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel
Kuhn - Cullen - Rust
That's exactly where I'm at. If the 2nd line can get some chemistry, that's ridiculous depth. It would be a never-ending possession festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad