Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects Spring 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
SneakerPimp82 said:
unless of course oshie made the top 25 list...
Except that
The New York Rangers placed the most prospects on Hockey's Future's Top 50 NHL Prospects list for Spring 2006, with four. Five teams have three prospects on the list: Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Nashville and Anaheim. Three teams have no prospects on the list: Tampa Bay, St. Louis and Phoenix.
Don't hold your breath waiting on them to show up in the top 25 either.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I want to know if it based on production or potential?

I also highlighted this area because Pouliot is the same way, potential and a lot of talent.

It's not one or the other. It is a combination of potential and likeliness to reach that potential. And it is on a sliding scale, so more of one will offset less of another. But in the case of a tie, potential wins out.

So there will be a ton of prospects with tremendous amount of potential but they may lose out to someone closer to being an NHL regular because that high-potential player's likeliness of making it is remote. And vice versa - a player who is already producing on the NHL level may lose out to someone with overflowing amounts of potential. But it is not all potential or all production, it is a balancing between those considerations and it will never be an exact science.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Won't qualify for making the list in two months:

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Dion Phaneuf
Marek Svatos
Petr Prucha
Henrik Lundqvist
Zach Parise
Schremp
Meszaros
Vanek
Carter
Richards
Steen
Whitney
Suter
26. Brent Seabrook, D – Chicago Blackhawks
32. Rotislav Olesz, C – Florida Panthers
33. Jussi Jokinen, C – Dallas Stars
34. Alex Perezhogin, RW – Montreal Canadiens
37. Ray Emery, G – Ottawa Senators
39. Milan Michalek, LW – San Jose Sharks
42. Robert Nilsson, LW – New York Islanders
45. Brad Boyes, C – Boston Bruins

23 out of 50 spots!!!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
David A. Rainer said:
It's not one or the other. It is a combination of potential and likeliness to reach that potential. And it is on a sliding scale, so more of one will offset less of another. But in the case of a tie, potential wins out.

So there will be a ton of prospects with tremendous amount of potential but they may lose out to someone closer to being an NHL regular because that high-potential player's likeliness of making it is remote. And vice versa - a player who is already producing on the NHL level may lose out to someone with overflowing amounts of potential. But it is not all potential or all production, it is a balancing between those considerations and it will never be an exact science.

I understand what you're saying but O'Sullivan has a lot of potential and should be in the NHL as of this year. He's always been in the shadow of Schremp. Like Harding behind JDD.

I guess I shouldn't care because it's worthless to fight against Oiler fans...

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kafka said:
Won't qualify for making the list in two months:

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Dion Phaneuf
Marek Svatos
Petr Prucha
Henrik Lundqvist
Zach Parise
Schremp
Meszaros
Vanek
Carter
Richards
Steen
Whitney
Suter
26. Brent Seabrook, D – Chicago Blackhawks
32. Rotislav Olesz, C – Florida Panthers
33. Jussi Jokinen, C – Dallas Stars
34. Alex Perezhogin, RW – Montreal Canadiens
37. Ray Emery, G – Ottawa Senators
39. Milan Michalek, LW – San Jose Sharks
42. Robert Nilsson, LW – New York Islanders
45. Brad Boyes, C – Boston Bruins

23 out of 50 spots!!!

That has everything to do with the lockout. One year without hockey means twice the amount of prospects making the big team. It's an exceptionnal year indeed.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Love the Jokinin inclusion. He is only ranked #3 by the stars writers and was I think #5 or 6 before this year but now is #33 overall. Amazing how production counts for something I guess although Ballard and Boyes may disagree

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I question why Schremp is in the top 25. O'Sullivan has succeeded in the AHL right now. If it is potential, then Pouliot should be on there. If it's about production, O'Sullivan should be higher.

This happened last year with JDD and Harding. Harding just barely missed the cut and JDD got on there. Where is JDD now and where is Harding now?

I want to know if it based on production or potential?

I also highlighted this area because Pouliot is the same way, potential and a lot of talent.

I guess Schremp having a great season in Lordon means nothing at all then, leading the OHL in scoring and all, but whatever that lets you sleep at night i guess.

JDD and Harding were very close that year so I don't see whats wrong with choosing one over the other at that point, you couldn't go wrong with either one then and of course its different now.

as for production and/vs potential, I don't know the answer but stop complaining about it, would help and just thank the writers for their hard work on this. You don't have to live your life by this list of opinions.

Checker*

The anti-Blues biased at its best here.

This site is a joke

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
selltrade said:
Rask and Pogge not on the list? Die-heart Leaf fan yes, but if you watched the World Jrs, the best goalie of the tourney (Rask) and the goalie of the Gold Medal Team who was awesome (Pogge) should be on that list :clap:

They're #1 in my heart but it's a deep list.

Next year.

Justin Pogge (TOR)
Tuukka Rask (TOR)

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
SSJTOM said:
They're #1 in my heart but it's a deep list.

And it becomes an especially deep list when you have to try and squeeze in the obligatory Habs prospects (Perezhogin, Price) who clearly do not deserve to be listed where they are.

No different than any other year though.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Kardi said:
i dunno... after what pogge did in the wjc and the season hes having this year he doesnt even make the list?

AND carey price couldnt even make team canada yet hes there :shakehead

:nopity: WJC's is not everything

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
Staal ahead of Bourdon :handclap:

well that doesn't really surprise me, Bourdon hasn't really had all that great of a year, sadly.

We'll see in the long run though ;) :handclap:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
selltrade said:
Rask and Pogge not on the list? Die-heart Leaf fan yes, but if you watched the World Jrs, the best goalie of the tourney (Rask) and the goalie of the Gold Medal Team who was awesome (Pogge) should be on that list :clap:

Pogge should NOT be on this list. I'm sorry, but he is not in the league of the goalies ahead of him yet. Wait till he gets to the AHL and then we can comment on him being deserving or not. It's so hard to tell with goalies. Yeah he's been hot this year, but it's just one year right now against boys.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Checker said:
This site is a joke

It's funny, because that's the exact opposite thing that the Team Radio play by play and colour guys for their national World Junior Championships broadcast said when they told me in the media centre in Vancouver that they relied upon Hockey's Future to provide them with background information for the tournament.

Roy G Biv*

Matt MacInnis said:
It's funny, because that's the exact opposite thing that the Team Radio play by play and colour guys for their national World Junior Championships broadcast said when they told me in the media centre in Vancouver that they relied upon Hockey's Future to provide them with background information for the tournament.

You don't need to defend it at all.... Most of us appreciate the time and effort put into this list, EVEN if we don't agree with some parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad