Hockey's Future Organizational Rankings, Spring 2011 1-10 - Discuss

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I'm sure this has been mentioned in the past but I find those lists a bit misleading. Some teams prospects have been pushed into or graduated into the NHL other teams who may be stronger have kept guys the same age, or year or older in the minors.

A more meaningful list (at least to me) would be to set an age limit and look at all players from an org under a certain age regardless of where they are playing.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
I actually prefer Nashville's prospect pool to LA's or Florida's. Florida's is probably a couple places too high...deep but mediocre outside of Markstrom & Gudbranson. LA's doesn't seem as strong as season's past, but is still tremendously deep. I'd probably put the top-5:

1. Nashville
2. LA
3. St. Louis
4. Florida
5. Isles

Nick Bjugstad has the potential to be as good as any forward mentioned over the long term. He has that much untapped potential. At minimum, he's a surefire NHL top 9 guy, but his potential is immense.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I actually prefer Nashville's prospect pool to LA's or Florida's. Florida's is probably a couple places too high...deep but mediocre outside of Markstrom & Gudbranson. LA's doesn't seem as strong as season's past, but is still tremendously deep. I'd probably put the top-5:

1. Nashville
2. LA
3. St. Louis
4. Florida
5. Isles
I have no idea which LA players have graduated, Clifford is one player but are there any more notable players ? I like LA's pool a lot more actually.

Linden Vey surprisingly had a break out season, the emergence of Tyler Toffoli. Kozun has shown he can put up numbers at the pro level. Loktionov seemed a NHL calibre player when he's playing on his natural position. Players like Weal and Voynov had huge seasons. Perhaps I'm missing something but the Kings pool only got better IMO compared to last year.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I feel like the Blues should have been higher, but I guess without Shatty and Petro the defense is a little week. I think Cole will be a solid 3/4 defenseman, but I guess outside of that, there isn't much in terms of prospects, with Junland leaving and Ponich being a big question mark. Cundari, Buekeboom, and Fairchild are all hit and miss, we don't need much considering Petro, Polak, and Shatty are all young.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Of course you would think so. We expected nothing less.

Bobkov-led Russia to a shocking WJC win
Smith-Pelly: tore it up in the OHL finals and is starting to look like a great third line grinder that can score
Vatanen: Basically the sm-liga's Mike Green

No one really looks at them

Nobody is overlooking Smith-Pelly's otherworldly 21 points in 20 games, we're just more amazed by Christian Thomas' 19 points in 10 games. Oscar Lindberg (or even Ethan Werek for that matter) are better prospects then Smith-Pelly as well. :laugh:

The Rangers have plenty of prospects nobody knows about. Jesper Fasth was phenomenal in the WJC, Carl Hagelin was a top NCAA player and voted the best defensive player in the league, Roman Horak had a tremendous year in the WHL, and Chris Kreider/Evgeny Grachev (who is still a very good prospect, anyone who actually watched the AHL would agree)/ Matz Zuccarello/Christian Thomas is way better then any combination of Etem/Holland/Smith-Pelly. Why wasn't Kyle Palmieri or Etem with the US at the WHC? Kreider was there when he was 18, so there's no excuses.

Oh, and then there's 2 guys McIlrath and McDonagh, they're pretty decent.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I would have to argue that it is Nashville who is the best. They never went in tank mode like the Kings and they still have a bunch of homegrown players on their roster.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Good to see the Leafs up there! It's a good sign when your top 5 doesn't even contain Jerry D'Amigo.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I would have to argue that it is Nashville who is the best. They never went in tank mode like the Kings and they still have a bunch of homegrown players on their roster.
The Kings never went in tank mode. There's one top 5 pick on the roster, drafted by the Kings, and one top5 pick listed with the top prospects according to HF.

Last edited:

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
hmmm...

2007: 5th overall pick
2008: 2nd overall pick
2009: 5th overall pick

still looks like tanking to me. no matter how you put it.

Let's look at Toronto tanking

hmmm....
2008: 7th overall pick (moved to 5th via trade)
2009: 7th overall pick
2010: 2nd overall pick
2011: 9th overall pick

looks like tanking to me. no matter how you put it.

Don't be jealous Kings picks are wearing a Kings uniform...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Let's look at Toronto tanking

hmmm....
2008: 7th overall pick (moved to 5th via trade)
2009: 7th overall pick
2010: 2nd overall pick
2011: 9th overall pick

looks like tanking to me. no matter how you put it.

Don't be jealous Kings picks are wearing a Kings uniform...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:handclap: Now where are your Stanley cups?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
What's with all the fighting? Toronto did tank the past few years. Its true. And I really don't wanna keep this up, but Hickey has not played a game for the Kings, Seguin obviously hasn't for the Leafs. Doughty has. Schenn has as well. I look at it like this.

Hickey=Seguin
Doughty=Schenn
Schenn=Kadri

Not in terms of talent or anything, just playing time.

end of argument.

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
:handclap: Now where are your Stanley cups?

I think this whole conversation that's being had is hilarious and stupid. You tanked, no you tanked. Whatever.

But, a Leafs fan pointing out Stanley Cups... Really? The only O6 team to have not won a cup since the expansion? I don't think Toronto has even made the SC finals since the expansion.

As for the useless conversation people were having before: If you're tanking, you're finishing 1-3.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

1. Nashville
2. LA
3. St. Louis
4. Florida
5. Isles

You've gotta be kidding me. Mediocre? Our #3-9 prospects are Bjugstad, Dadonov, Howden, Petrovic, Shore, Robak, and Repik. Only 1-2 other teams can boast a top 9 as good as that. Then we have Corban Knight who had 44 pts. this season in the NCAA, Sam Brittain who was a top NCAA goalie this season as a freshman and had the best SV% in the WCHA, Garrett Wilson who scored 86 pts. in the OHL and 21 pts. in the playoffs and just captained Owen Sound to the OHL title, and Joonas Donskoi who tied for his team's lead in scoring in the SM-Liiga and had an impressive WJC. And we have plenty of depth beyond that if you want to compare your #15-30 prospects with ours.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No offence (as I think Ottawa should be in the top 10) but winning the Calder Cup means very little IMO as far as prospects go.

i agree that calder cup has very little to do with prospects since some key cogs for bingo are corey locke, ryan potulny, ryan keller and andre benoit who are not considered prospects.

as a sens fan, id love to see the sens in the top 10 but as of right now, we arent. our defensive prospects should rank in the top 5 of the league but we dont have any sure-fire forward prospects and lehner is the only goalie prospect we have. after this draft though, with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, we should vault into the top 10, maybe even top 5 depending on how the draft goes.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I think this whole conversation that's being had is hilarious and stupid. You tanked, no you tanked. Whatever.

But, a Leafs fan pointing out Stanley Cups... Really? The only O6 team to have not won a cup since the expansion? I don't think Toronto has even made the SC finals since the expansion.

As for the useless conversation people were having before: If you're tanking, you're finishing 1-3.

Nope, they havent.

Wanna hear something really funny? When Ottawa made the finals in 2007, they won more playoff series in a season than Toronto ever has.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
[/B]

What?! thats not even close to being true. :shakehead

Toronto won their cups before expansion. Ottawa won 3 series in that particular season. Farthest Leafs have made it since expansion is Conference Final. Thus only winning 2 rounds. It's a meaningless point but it's correct.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Nope, they havent.

Wanna hear something really funny? When Ottawa made the finals in 2007, they won more playoff series in a season than Toronto ever has.

Still bitter about the 4 playoff beatdowns I see.

Anyway,

I like Toronto's spot. Should improve after the draft as well.

Last edited:

the word*

What's with all the fighting? Toronto did tank the past few years. Its true. And I really don't wanna keep this up, but Hickey has not played a game for the Kings, Seguin obviously hasn't for the Leafs. Doughty has. Schenn has as well. I look at it like this.

Hickey=Seguin
Doughty=Schenn
Schenn=Kadri

Not in terms of talent or anything, just playing time.

end of argument.

It's close, but you have to give the nod to Toronto. Seguin and Doughty will be a draw I think, close enough for an arguement either way at least. Toronto has the more impactful Schenn brother and I take Kadri over Hickey in the second tier category. Wait a minute....

Seguin, Schenn, with Kadri brought in slowly with two full seasons in the minors would make for some solid building blocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad