Post-Game Talk (GBU): Hockey's back, and that's enough for me

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G:
I've been waiting for Sabres hockey to return since dev camp, and this is good enough!

G:
Olofsson
Jokiharju

These two were the 2 best players.

Bryson
Asplund
Borgen
Pekar (<3<3<3<3<3)
Fitzgerald
Gosselin
Hickey
Oglevie
Johansson in 1st and 2nd

Meh:
Cozens does need to work on his passing.

B
I'd rather leave this section blank, but Randy Sexton did come out on WGR and say that Brett Murray has to prove it this tournament for an AHL contract. He looks like arguably the worst player out there. I'm sorry man, but you play a style that isn't fast enough for today, and not tough enough for yesterday

U
Nothing

HOCKEY'S BACK!

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
G:
I've been waiting for Sabres hockey to return since dev camp, and this is good enough!

U
Nothing

HOCKEY'S BACK!

Really nice to feel the blood start to flow even so slightly. Hockey is coming soon.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
G:

G:
Olofsson
Jokiharju

These two were the 2 best players.

Bryson
Asplund
Borgen
Pekar (<3<3<3<3<3)
Fitzgerald
Gosselin
Hickey
Oglevie
Johansson in 1st and 2nd

Meh:
Cozens does need to work on his passing.

B
I'd rather leave this section blank, but Randy Sexton did come out on WGR and say that Brett Murray has to prove it this tournament for an AHL contract. He looks like arguably the worst player out there. I'm sorry man, but you play a style that isn't fast enough for today, and not tough enough for yesterday

U
Nothing

HOCKEY'S BACK!

I'll give Cozens a pass on the passing this weekend with the thumb. Hopefully it gets cleaned up as he feels better.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
G: the whole team for the first to periods

Olofsson was fan flippity tastic. He’s making the Sabres this year.

Jokiharju and Borgen were standouts on D

Pekar :yo:

Oglevie made some great plays but that whole line was making it rain. Ya that’s you too Asplund.

Cozens made some good plays and some not so great

Nobody gets a bad from me though I’m just glad hockey’s back! (Until November when I’m ready for next season already)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Missed it and will hopefully watch in full soon - but in the meantime, if anyone wants to put together anything in detail, it would be very much appreciated.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just started watching this morning on youtube. I'm maybe ~5 minutes into the 2nd period, and Olofsson could easily have had 3 goals already (1 actual goal, 1 just wide of an empty net, and 1 crossbar). Can't wait for a full season of this kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Cozens had some absolutely beautiful passes last night. I have no idea what people are criticizing. I'd like to see them shake up the line combos a little and see what he could do with some other wingers.
I agree i watched the whole game and then read on here he can't pass,or do this or that.I get some people didn't like the pick but quit making crap up.He is raw and will be a big impact player once he fills out and matures

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Cozens had some absolutely beautiful passes last night. I have no idea what people are criticizing. I'd like to see them shake up the line combos a little and see what he could do with some other wingers.

I mean, get ahold of the full game tape, and I'll happily show you.

He made two real nice passes on the PP (1 Cross ice to a trailing guy, 1 behind the net to center, both in the 1st period).

When it's 5v5, and he's in transition with the puck, two things were happening. One, and mostly one, he would just hold the puck until he loses it. This happened 4 or 5 times, and he could never find the open guy. #2, he'd try to make a short pass and miss, resulting in a turnover, which happened 2-3 times.

I'm mostly on about #1, which I also saw A LOT of on his WHL and WJC tape. He has a habit of charging into the zone without the ability to stick-handle past his defender, or find the open man. It's something I don't want to see from a high volume puck carrier regardless of what I think of the pick.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I mean, get ahold of the full game tape, and I'll happily show you.

He made two real nice passes on the PP (1 Cross ice to a trailing guy, 1 behind the net to center, both in the 1st period).

When it's 5v5, and he's in transition with the puck, two things were happening. One, and mostly one, he would just hold the puck until he loses it. This happened 4 or 5 times, and he could never find the open guy. #2, he'd try to make a short pass and miss, resulting in a turnover, which happened 2-3 times.

I'm mostly on about #1, which I also saw A LOT of on his WHL and WJC tape. He has a habit of charging into the zone without the ability to stick-handle past his defender, or find the open man. It's something I don't want to see from a high volume puck carrier regardless of what I think of the pick.
I'm just going to call a spade a spade. I'm relatively certain the people who didn't like the pick are the majority of the people criticizing his play last night.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I liked the Cozens pick but I do see the criticism of him holding the puck too long as a valid one at the moment. He will have to clean that up. Overall I liked his gmae last night, especially coming back from thumb surgery. The size-speed-skill combination is unique and hopefully he has a big season in the WHL and takes positive steps this season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Johansson looked good coming back from surgery and was poised. Everything looked good until the d got a little sloppy in the third and the Asplund pass hung him out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Johansson looked good coming back from surgery and was poised. Everything looked good until the d got a little sloppy in the third and the Asplund pass hung him out.

I was surprised when he was playing. I must have confused his recovery timetable with UPL’s.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I liked the Cozens pick but I do see the criticism of him holding the puck too long as a valid one at the moment. He will have to clean that up. Overall I liked his gmae last night, especially coming back from thumb surgery. The size-speed-skill combination is unique and hopefully he has a big season in the WHL and takes positive steps this season.
I think any pronouncements about his tendencies are incredibly premature, unless of course people have seen him play regularly in the WHL. Does he hold on to the puck too long? Maybe that's something that will emerge as a growth area for him, but one or two looks last night isn't really enough to proclaim it's a problem or he needs to change.

They were matching him against Hughes last night. I thought all in all that line was able to contain him. Now I'd like to see him dispatched in a different role tonight and give him someone like Olofsson on his wing.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
They talked about Cozens as a size/speed guy and that's what he showed. The things he's trying to do are the things that work at the level he's at.

The Sabres could use size and they could use speed. I see where the Jeff Carter comps come from.

What he's going to need is coaching to show what works at the next level.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Game 2: The Pekar Show

G:
Pekar

Asplund might seriously make this team
Olofsson should seriously be a PP1 this year right away

Bryson: i'm falling in love
Borgen
Fitzgerald
Johansson closed it down

Honorable mentions:

Ruotsalainen
Rousek

B:
The buttload of calls on us, and seemingly none of them
Boston gonna boston with b.s.

U:
Boston, again.

Time for some folks to sit Monday. Prepare for main camp. Olof, Joki, Asplund, Borgen.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad