Hockey wanted in hockey cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Basically no city is a "hockey city" as the defination is you must sell-out every night and have loud active fans every night. Every team has empty seats and crowds are NOT too loud if the home team is losing 4-0. I have posted bad attendance numbers form "Hockey cities" in the past most of which are much lower than the "Non-hockey cities". I hate the arguement that you have to grow up playing the game to be a true fan. I love most sports (Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Football, Hockey) yet never played any of them as a kid. With that arguement I should only watch and care about Bowling (that's the only sport I can play well).

Transported Upstater

Gnashville said:
Basically no city is a "hockey city" as the defination is you must sell-out every night and have loud active fans every night. Every team has empty seats and crowds are NOT too loud if the home team is losing 4-0. I have posted bad attendance numbers form "Hockey cities" in the past most of which are much lower than the "Non-hockey cities". I hate the arguement that you have to grow up playing the game to be a true fan. I love most sports (Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Football, Hockey) yet never played any of them as a kid. With that arguement I should only watch and care about Bowling (that's the only sport I can play well).

I bowled a 220 once, but my average is less than 100 :biglaugh:

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
eaton28 said:
Those numbers are terrible for a state with that population. My hometown has 13 icepads in a 10 KM radius, all of which hockey nightly... the population of my hometown is 100,000 for your information

Have you ever been to Sunrise, FL or looked closely at a south Florida map?? The Panthers arena in Sunrise is literally at the edge of the Everblades, there hardly a mile's worth of civilization west of the arena and then nothing but Everglades for a hundred and something miles. SWAMPLAND!

You live in Canada where hockey is a religion for 100 years and you are trying to compare the number of rinks in your area to the most southern part of the USA where they have only had a pro team for 10 years? That's like trying to compare apples to alligators. :shakehead

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
weezman said:
The joke escapes me. :dunno:

BigE:

Don't depend on population swings of transplanted residents from Canada or the Northern US to bolster followings (probably the most ridiculous and unfounded statement I've seen in this thread - delete your user ID immediately...).

Sorry, I think it's funny to tell people to delete their user IDs if they disagree with you, so if you're attacking folks like BigE who want to wipe out hockey in the South, I'm pretty sure he's going to have to ask you to delete your user ID immediately.

I'm just trying to save him some time. :)

weezman

Timmy said:
BigE:

Sorry, I think it's funny to tell people to delete their user IDs if they disagree with you, so if you're attacking folks like BigE who want to wipe out hockey in the South, I'm pretty sure he's going to have to ask you to delete your user ID immediately.

I'm just trying to save him some time. :)

Sweet. Deleting now sir. :sarcasm:

My attitude is this: The more the merrier. Share the joy people. :)
The game will sell itself, it just needs time.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
missK said:
You live in Canada where hockey is a religion for 100 years and you are trying to compare the number of rinks in your area to the most southern part of the USA where they have only had a pro team for 10 years? That's like trying to compare apples to alligators. :shakehead

Say no more, that's exactly the point!

We're comparing "apples to alligators" here in terms of the Carolinas to Quebec's or Floridas to Winnipegs.

I mean really, how in the hell is this supposed to defend the idea of hockey in southern markets? We've got six or seven rinks in the entire city, the only time people ever want to see or be around ice is when it's in their drink, but yes this should be a great place for an NHL hockey club, because "hey, we've got a few transplanted Canadians, and the NFL does well here."

Is that really the argument for expansion to these markets or a statement in defense of these markets?

Suddenly the only die-hard fans in Carolina (all 18500 of them) show up for a few tailgate parties (after they've learned how well their team is doing) and now the teams existence in that market is justified? A few banners in the mall, and stickers on cars make this a hockey town? Even the people in Carolina will tell you this just started four weeks ago.

Timmy said:
Who's "we?" I've enjoyed Bettman's tenure.

Improve the level of competition?

I thought it has been.

Get the game into markets where it's going to thrive.

And this is easy to predict because...

So, people who you disagree with should not be allowed to post here anymore, just like cities shouldn't you don't consider "deserving" shouldn't be allowed to have hockey. How humble of you.

What more can I say? Are people going to be offended? Absolutely.

So, it's okay for you to offend entire fanbases, but those who offend you should be kicked off HFBoards. Got it.

Which begs the question, why are people so upset about hockey in "non-traditional" markets?

Oh where to start....

Improve the level of competition. Are you really willing to debate what the difference in calibre of play would be if you eliminated 6 teams from the NHL, compared to if you did not? I'll give you a pass on a misread and move onto the next point.

Getting the game into markets where it's going to thrive. Certainly this isn't easy but as I pointed out above, why place it in an area where there isn't even any grass-roots form of the game. The people in Florida were not begging for two NHL teams - 3/4 of them hadn't even heard of hockey ("you mean field, right?"). There are 280-some million people in the United States, and most of the ones in the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, pick a confederate state not named Texas, don't give a flying **** about hockey as a whole. But wait, tailgating self-proclaimed "rednecks" disprove that theory...sure.

Everybody loves a winner - lets see them show up for a mediocre team or a lousy team (oh, woops...that's right they were that bad not too long ago and the public's response to hockey was.... :boredom: ).

The part about deleting the id was an EXTREMELY sarcastic shot. Never was I serious, nor would I ever suggest that people refrain from stating opinions on this forum. Really. ;)

Why are people upset with hockey in non-traditional markets? Because its success rate wouldn't pass any sort of business plan model in any other company, in any other industry. For crying out loud you might just have better luck throwing a ****ing dart at the map on the wall...hey, but I digress...I'm just jealous...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
BigE said:
Improve the level of competition. Are you really willing to debate what the difference in calibre of play would be if you eliminated 6 teams from the NHL, compared to if you did not?

These six?

Rk Team GP Tot Avg Pct
25 Nashville 41 591,556 14,428 84.3

26 New Jersey 41 583,448 14,230 74.7

27 St. Louis 41 582,742 14,213 74.7

28 Washington 41 570,113 13,905 74.5

29 Chicago 41 546,075 13,318 65.0

30 NY Islanders 41 516,973 12,609 77.4

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
BigE said:
I'm just jealous...
Glad you admitted it.

Most of your "arguments" are so weak they're not worth shooting holes in. You're denying the patterns of population movement in the US? Seriously? :biglaugh:

Would be nice if these stupid threads would get shut down quicker, especially once people start using the term redneck (even if it's some attempt to be cute). If this was insulting a different group of people or teams, it'd have been closed within 5 posts. :shakehead

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Sotnos said:
Glad you admitted it.

Most of your "arguments" are so weak they're not worth shooting holes in. You're denying the patterns of population movement in the US? Seriously? :biglaugh:

Would be nice if these stupid threads would get shut down quicker, especially once people start using the term redneck (even if it's some attempt to be cute). If this was insulting a different group of people or teams, it'd have been closed within 5 posts. :shakehead

I'm denying the almighty population patterns, yes. If that's all you think it takes to make a hockey club work in any city why not try every city with an expanding base? That should work, shouldn't it?

Incase you haven't been watching the series, MANY fans are holding up signs with "redneck hockey." I figured ones so in tune with everything hockey would know this...

Go ahead and "shoot holes." It's obvious that most of what I'm saying is way over your head, so what, where, and how you're shooting at my arguments might even be more entertaining than this year's thrilling Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
BigE said:
I'm denying the almighty population patterns, yes. If that's all you think it takes to make a hockey club work in any city why not try every city with an expanding base? That should work, shouldn't it?

Incase you haven't been watching the series, MANY fans are holding up signs with "redneck hockey." I figured ones so in tune with everything hockey would know this...

Go ahead and "shoot holes." It's obvious that most of what I'm saying is way over your head, so what, where, and how you're shooting at my arguments might even be more entertaining than this year's thrilling Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So, should we start by eliminating Nashville, Washington, St. Louis, Chicago, New Jersey, and Long Island? These are the six weakest markets, and it would seem that they don't have much of a fan base, compared with say, Montreal.

btw, why'd you get rid of the "kid" comment and replace it with calling Sotnos stupid?

If it helps, your intelligence is blinding me as well, although I'm about as smart as your average fence post.

Last edited:

weezman

Hockey isn't in my city. Your city doesn't deserve hockey. Hockey is too good for your city. Hockey belongs to me.
:nopity:
Do we need to call the waaaahhhhbumlance?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
We could start by eliminating six of the weakest teams, sure, but if you plan on throwing darts at the map, just like Gary did in picking expansion sites you might disappoint yourself. Taking attendance figures from one year is about as strong a support as using tunnel-vision population patterns in selecting hockey markets.

Good idea. :thumbu:

Btw, why not respond to our own line of conversation instead of someone elses...

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
Retail1LO said:
You know...it pains me to see a Stanley Cup hoisted in places like Carolina and Tampa Bay. You can't even find a public rink down there. What percentage of the fans in the south can even skate? I know I'm going off on a tangent...but I'd be so much more comfortable with a cup going to Hartford than one going to Carolina. I don't care if another cup is ever won in the states of Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, or Arizona. Cities like Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hartford have rabid hockey fans. They're all cities without other top professional sports teams in them. The fact that hockey has to compete in the south with a sport where people make left hand turns for 500 miles before ending right where they started...is disgusting. And forget about competing with college football/basketball in the south. Kansas City, Milwaukee/Green Bay, Seattle, Portland, Hartford, Winnipeg, Quebec City...should all have teams before the likes of these other sites. It's hard enough for hockey to ever grab a foothold of different markets when you consider how few of the potential fans ever played the sport as a kid...or were even a fan of it as a kid for that matter. You have to put teams in markets where kids have a chance to play it. I live in the north and the rinks in the Philadelphia area are few and far in between. I can't imagine what youth hockey is like in south Florida. Not only has the NHL expanded into a lot of questionable markets (simply because they're large TV markets), but they've left behind cities with great heritage and history.

The Minnesota North Stars leaving for Dallas...was probably the worst relocation imaginable. I miss all the old jerseys. Most of the new teams have the most hideous colors, logos, and nicknames ever seen on a professional sports team.

*sigh*

What percentage of fans from other sports can actually throw a football decently, or hit a baseball or do a slam dunk? Be able to skate has nothing to do with how much a hockey fan cares about his/her hockey.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
BigE said:
We could start by eliminating six of the weakest teams, sure, but if you plan on throwing darts at the map, just like Gary did in picking expansion sites you might disappoint yourself. Taking attendance figures from one year is about as strong a support as using tunnel-vision population patterns in selecting hockey markets.

Btw, why not respond to our own line of conversation instead of someone elses...

So, name the six places that Washington, Chicago, Long Island, St. Louis, Nashville, and New Jersey should move to, in order to reward deserving hockey cities.

And, I'm sorry, are you now restricting people to reply only to very limited aspects of your posts, or are we free to respond freely without asking for your permission first? Perhaps you should be having your conversation with Sotnos by PM if you are concerned about other posters joining in.

Anyways,

Oh where to start....

Improve the level of competition. Are you really willing to debate what the difference in calibre of play would be if you eliminated 6 teams from the NHL, compared to if you did not? I'll give you a pass on a misread and move onto the next point.

It has been debated that an increased talent level can actually make games more defensive and less "thrilling" because of a far stronger defensive core on each team.

Getting the game into markets where it's going to thrive. Certainly this isn't easy but as I pointed out above, why place it in an area where there isn't even any grass-roots form of the game.

Oh, I don't know.

To expand the fanbase, maybe? Winnipeg had grass-roots, but it still couldn't hold onto a team. Who, besides you, is to say that Dallas was "less deserving?" This is a business, and owners and prospective owners do their research and try to make the right decision. You obviously think that the owners were wrong in their choice of markets. I do not.

The people in Florida were not begging for two NHL teams - 3/4 of them hadn't even heard of hockey ("you mean field, right?").

Apparently, neither are the good folks of New York City.

There are 280-some million people in the United States, and most of the ones in the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, pick a confederate state not named Texas, don't give a flying **** about hockey as a whole.

A lot of Canadians don't give a flying **** about hockey, either. A lot of Canadians hate all sports in general.

See, I can make broad generalizations too! :)

But wait, tailgating self-proclaimed "rednecks" disprove that theory...sure.

I don't understand this, but of course, as you've mentioned to Sotnos, your arguments are way over our heads anyways.

Everybody loves a winner - lets see them show up for a mediocre team or a lousy team (oh, woops...that's right they were that bad not too long ago and the public's response to hockey was.... ).

I don't understand. Are you blaming people from staying away from crappy teams? Are the teams crappy because they're in non-traditional cities? I don't get this comment (not suprising, given my mediocre grasp on any issue that involves thinking). Why aren't you attacking Chicago fans for not showing up when the Hawks are crappy? Or are you saying that people should, like sheep, sell out every game for a pro sports team no matter how bad they are?

The part about deleting the id was an EXTREMELY sarcastic shot. Never was I serious, nor would I ever suggest that people refrain from stating opinions on this forum. Really.

Sorry.

Why are people upset with hockey in non-traditional markets? Because its success rate wouldn't pass any sort of business plan model in any other company, in any other industry.

And yet, they're all doing better than Chicago, an original six, Washington with Ovechkin, etc etc etc.

For crying out loud you might just have better luck throwing a ****ing dart at the map on the wall...hey, but I digress

Yeah, as long as you aim high, right?

...I'm just jealous...

Finally, something we can agree on.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Timmy said:
A lot of Canadians don't give a flying **** about hockey, either. A lot of Canadians hate all sports in general.

Us Canadians are born with a 'love for hockey' gene that Americans just do not have... It has nothing to do with constant and consistent exposure to a team and sport we (and perhaps our Fathers and Grandfathers) have grown up and grown old with... 'Love for hockey' cannot be learned... You are either born with it, or you're not... Just like some people are born with a 'bitter' gene for having the team they love(d) get moved... :sarcasm:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I in the Eye said:
Us Canadians are born with a 'love for hockey' gene that Americans just do not have... It has nothing to do with constant and consistent exposure to a team and sport we (and perhaps our Fathers and Grandfathers) have grown up and grown old with... 'Love for hockey' cannot be learned... You are either born with it, or you're not... Just like some people are born with a 'bitter' gene for having the team they love(d) get moved... :sarcasm:
Yeah a recessive gene.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Timmy said:
The people in Florida were not begging for two NHL teams - 3/4 of them hadn't even heard of hockey ("you mean field, right?").

If you knew ANYTHING about Florida you would know that maybe 20% of the people living in Florida were born in Florida. The other 80% came from someplace much COLDER. I have lived in Florida for 14 years (born in NJ) and I have only 5 friends that were born and raised here while I know hundreds that were born and raised up north in the COLD WEATHER and just as many are Canadian's who live here only in winter. And guess what, they were hockey fans BEFORE they moved to Florida just like I was. :shakehead

SharksDownUnder

May 17, 2006
Sydney
BigE said:

I recommend you put your attention to those that are "capable" in "actually" growing a playoff beard.

Old Hickory

BigE said:
You might want to stop using tuneel vision on your hatred and start focusing on actual facts.

Bettman does not approve or select expansion cities. That is done by the Board of Governors

Don't believe me?
http://slam.canoe.ca/97NHLExpansion/home.html

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad