Post-Game Talk: Hockey ruined by about 5 people for about 3000000 people.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You know that, and I know that... but does everyone know that?

Koskinen is awesome, based on when I've seen him play. Two goals against vs. a Stanley Cup team, on the road, facing 33 shots, is awesome. Oilers lose yet again because of no depth scoring, the same problem they've had since summer 2017.

Koskinen, by the way, is something like .912 in games where he didn't have to replace Talbot (i.e., games that were already lost when he came in). And .912 is better than Tampa Bay's Domingue, who is 18-4 on the season.

But keep blaming the only player (besides McD and Drai) who actually won the team some games this year!

So true. Couldn’t have put it better myself. Let’s not overlook how many chances we have given Talbot to “rebound” only for him to fall on his face. We’d probably be 3+ more wins if Kosko when he was hot was actually played like a starter instead of giving Talbot sympathy starts.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So true. Couldn’t have put it better myself. Let’s not overlook how many chances we have given Talbot to “rebound” only for him to fall on his face. We’d probably be 3+ more wins if Kosko when he was hot was actually played like a starter instead of giving Talbot sympathy starts.
I agree. Can anyone explain to me why, immediately after clearly choosing Koskinen as "the guy" by signing him to a big contract, the Oilers then decided to start Talbot repeatedly when a playoff spot was a still a (remote) chance? Nothing this organization does makes any sense.

Sure, they wouldn't be sniffing a playoff spot even if Koskinen had played all 50-whatever games, but they'd be a lot closer than they are.

Have you guys watched Tampa's power play this season? It's bizarre how functional it is. They actually have systems and well-practiced plays they go to, as well as D-men and wingers who can make plays and score. I think I'd forgotten what it is to do hockey good.

As woeful as the Oilers are right now, can you imagine if McD had broken his leg or something and they hadn't signed Chiasson (who was only signed because of a chance injury to another player)? They'd certainly be in last overall.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree. Can anyone explain to me why, immediately after clearly choosing Koskinen as "the guy" by signing him to a big contract, the Oilers then decided to start Talbot repeatedly when a playoff spot was a still a (remote) chance? Nothing this organization does makes any sense.

Sure, they wouldn't be sniffing a playoff spot even if Koskinen had played all 50-whatever games, but they'd be a lot closer than they are.

Have you guys watched Tampa's power play this season? It's bizarre how functional it is. They actually have systems and well-practiced plays they go to, as well as D-men and wingers who can make plays and score. I think I'd forgotten what it is to do hockey good.

As woeful as the Oilers are right now, can you imagine if McD had broken his leg or something and they hadn't signed Chiasson (who was only signed because of a chance injury to another player)? They'd certainly be in last overall.
We are 6 points out, 3 more wins and we would be in one.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
If we do somehow make the playoffs surely the OBC gets yet another pass. Even if we get 4-0’d it’ll be “an improvement and the fans will have something to look forward to.” After all, they know how to win!

Give me an offseason with the media embarrassing the f*** out of this franchise, continually make Katz look more incompetent than any owner in recent years. Should stick to the pharmacy business.

It’s sad there’s two downsides to winning Jacky Hughes or Kakko. Rushing these kids, throwing them into the fire with this sorry ass team, and Katz buying some time off fan hype to cool things down until the season starts and it’s more of the same.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The tying goal where 4 Oilers stood around like morons and were put skated and outwitted by 2 Pens PKers. And again it’s 2 goals against, how this loss falls on Koskos shoulders when the Oilers can’t even put up more than 1 goal is ridiculous.
Lol if Talbot let in that goal you’d be flailing your arms about how he cost us the game. It was a terrible goal.

You know that, and I know that... but does everyone know that?

Koskinen is awesome, based on when I've seen him play. Two goals against vs. a Stanley Cup team, on the road, facing 33 shots, is awesome. Oilers lose yet again because of no depth scoring, the same problem they've had since summer 2017.

Koskinen, by the way, is something like .912 in games where he didn't have to replace Talbot (i.e., games that were already lost when he came in). And .912 is better than Tampa Bay's Domingue, who is 18-4 on the season.

But keep blaming the only player (besides McD and Drai) who actually won the team some games this year!

Awesome stats for an awesome goalie. Still hasn’t won a game since his extension.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm done with this team.

I'll chime in these forums time to time to see how y'all doing, but it's gonna be hard for me to follow these losers unless we clean house.

Here's hoping McDavid wins his Ross.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lol if Talbot let in that goal you’d be flailing your arms about how he cost us the game. It was a terrible goal.

Awesome stats for an awesome goalie. Still hasn’t won a game since his extension.

Since his extension they have been showcasing Talbot. Koskinen has played 3 games. 0-2-1
Talbot is 1-3-1

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Since his extension they have been showcasing Talbot. Koskinen has played 3 games. 0-2-1
Talbot is 1-3-1
They're both not very good, but Koskinen has been straight garbage since 2019 started.

I still can't believe that extension. Would he even get half that at the end of the season?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They're both not very good, but Koskinen has been straight garbage since 2019 started.

I still can't believe that extension. Would he even get half that at the end of the season?
Hard to tell. We have been god awful defensively. Goalies haven't been great but with an average defensive play, I bet their stats would be better.

Reactions: TheNumber4

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hard to tell. We have been god awful defensively. Goalies haven't been great but with an average defensive play, I bet their stats would be better.
It goes hand in hand. The Oilers were playing pretty well against the Pens and then the first goal goes in (which probably shouldn't have) and the Oilers lost all faith in Koskinen from thereon out.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

If Talbot went the whole game only letting in 2 goals, not letting in any softies, and not giving up the first shot of the game as per usual, I assure you I would not be blaming him for the loss.

You can talk about the last 15 games over and over and over (and you do). And none of it will matter because the question we are trying to answer is if Kosko can be a good goalie behind atleast an NHL average defence, not an AHL one that those stats are based on with both Klefbom and Russel out.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It goes hand in hand. The Oilers were playing pretty well against the Pens and then the first goal goes in (which probably shouldn't have) and the Oilers lost all faith in Koskinen from thereon out.

Yeh it was “faith” in Kosko being lost after the Oilers players collectively f*cked up on the PP that made them not be able to score like they haven’t been able to score for the last 2 seasons. That’s what did it, faith in Kosko, not a lack of talent or skill upfront that’s been apparent for the last 2 years.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Talbot went the whole game only letting in 2 goals, not letting in any softies, and not giving up the first shot of the game as per usual, I assure you I would not be blaming him for the loss.

You can talk about the last 15 games over and over and over (and you do). And none of it will matter because the question we are trying to answer is if Kosko can be a good goalie behind atleast an NHL average defence, not an AHL one that those stats are based on with both Klefbom and Russel out.

If Talbot lost the game you'd bitch about him. And Koskinen did let in a softie. The defense is back to being what it was at the beginning of the year and he isn't any better. Imagine that.
Yeh it was “faith” in Kosko being lost after the Oilers players collectively f*cked up on the PP that made them not be able to score like they haven’t been able to score for the last 2 seasons. That’s what did it, faith in Kosko, not a lack of talent or skill upfront that’s been apparent for the last 2 years.
It was a goal that shouldn't have gone in. Seal off the post.

It's always everyone else's fault when Koskinen loses the game but when Talbot does? Only his.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Talbot lost the game you'd ***** about him. And Koskinen did let in a softie. The defense is back to being what it was at the beginning of the year and he isn't any better. Imagine that.

It was a goal that shouldn't have gone in. Seal off the post.

It's always everyone else's fault when Koskinen loses the game but when Talbot does? Only his.

On 2 goals against? Nope. I wouldn’t. But keep thinking that if you want something to argue against. Defence is back, and played solid for the most part, and look what we got. NHL goaltending that only allowed 2 goals against. You want to blame someone for this loss? How about an Oilers offence that can’t score more than 1 goal.

Or how about the 4 Oilers Players cover 2 Pens players so that chance doesn’t happen like it shouldn’t have.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
On 2 goals against? Nope. I wouldn’t. But keep thinking that if you want something to argue against. Defence is back, and played solid for the most part, and look what we got. NHL goaltending that only allowed 2 goals against. You want to blame someone for this loss? How about an Oilers offence that can’t score more than 1 goal.

Or how about the 4 Oilers Players cover 2 Pens players so that chance doesn’t happen like it shouldn’t have.
Lol that first goal was not NHL goaltending. The Pens didn't even try to win the game in the third. They had it won.

But as always it's everyone else's fault when Koskinen gets scored on. The second goal wasn't his fault. The first one he should've stopped. He stops that one and the Oilers probably get a point if not two. He was also out of position on a few other chances that the Oilers bailed him out on.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Talbot cannot stop a clean shot if his life depended on it. Other areas ya he's pretty good. The book on him is out and is being exploited. Freeze him then go high glove or blocker. If you pick the corner clean, guaranteed goal. Good teams don't give up clean shots in tight often. Good goalies however make the odd save on those shots.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lol that first goal was not NHL goaltending. The Pens didn't even try to win the game in the third. They had it won.

But as always it's everyone else's fault when Koskinen gets scored on. The second goal wasn't his fault. The first one he should've stopped. He stops that one and the Oilers probably get a point if not two. He was also out of position on a few other chances that the Oilers bailed him out on.
You do know that was our first loss in like...35 games where our goalie had above a 0.900 s% right?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes I am aware.

The goalie still let in a soft goal that completely changed the game. The Pens had very little going to that point.
It happens to most goalies. If your team completely stumbles after a goal that's pathetic. Especially cause he made a few great saves to cover the defenses asses.

Talbot has a game like that I'm praising him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It happens to most goalies. If your team completely stumbles after a goal that's pathetic. Especially cause he made a few great saves to cover the defenses asses.

Talbot has a game like that I'm praising him.
The Oilers have won like.... 6 of their past 23 games. They can't afford any soft goals. They are mentally weak. And part of that weakness is weak goals against.

The defense also bailed him out on occasion.

He was outdueled by Matt Murray.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers have won like.... 6 of their past 23 games. They can't afford any soft goals. They are mentally weak. And part of that weakness is weak goals against.

The defense also bailed him out on occasion.

He was outdueled by Matt Murray.
So you are saying you need a perfect goalie. Well there are maybe 1-2 that fit that bill, but yes, blame the game entirely on the goalie who only allowed 2 goals

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So you are saying you need a perfect goalie. Well there are maybe 1-2 that fit that bill, but yes, blame the game entirely on the goalie who only allowed 2 goals
I'm not blaming the game on the goalie. I said he let in a weak goal which can't happen for this team.

The team played fine and still lost by a goal because he gave up a weak one. He seals off the post and the Oilers at least get a point.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

Talbot has been hot garbage for 2 years. As bad as the roster is, when their goaltenders are playing well (Talbot or Koskinen), they have a shot to win. But aside from a small stretch, neither of them have been any good.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Talbot has been hot garbage for 2 years. As bad as the roster is, when their goaltenders are playing well (Talbot or Koskinen), they have a shot to win. But aside from a small stretch, neither of them have been any good.
Talbot has shown to be better for a longer stretch than Koskinen. I mean Talbot's gone so it is what it is... But Koskinen has completely wilted the past two months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad