News Article: Hockey News: Habs front office 2nd worst in the NHL

get25

Oct 17, 2015
If you base the fan response on what you read here, then I am sure you expect that the Bell Centre will not sell out a game this season.

However, you will be disappointed because that won't happen.

Sports Message boards and social media tend to over-amplify sentiments and the people who believe such sentiments as prevailing tend to be dismayed when reality proves otherwise.

There are 4 general types of fans, even when a trade of this magnitude happens.

1. Follow the Habs only during the season (biggest majority) and are indifferent about the trade.
2. Fans who follow the Habs year round and were happy with the trade.
3. Fans who follow the Habs year round and have accepted it despite initial reservations.
4. Fans who follow the Habs year round and will never agree with nor accept the trade.

Group 1 totals in the hundreds of thousands.
Group 4 totals in the hundreds.

A hurricane in a tea kettle.
Talking only about the trade: I am in group 3.
BTW, Group 4 may be hundreds but if we get in ECF, they will go down to tens.

I want to see the final result on the ice.

Weber physical game is really interesting.
Shaw leadership is also interesting (but Eller was a better scorer even in PO).
Radulov is a fabulous player to add to our roster. Top-3 if not top-10 in the league.

We are definitively a better team.

Two or three years from now:
Sergacheyov -Weber
Beaulieu - Patry​
Really looks good to me.

My question is more about offense. Who, among our young players, will be able to be part of Cup winning team.
I feel pretty confident with our top-6, I am now focusing on top-9.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
70 years old... But the writer is an independent who does a poll with 200 persons.
My statistic teacher would have flunk him.
What methodology, where did he get the people?

I find this quite easy to answer because certain paragraph are skipping the facts:

Hawks tanked for at least 5 consecutive years to have four or 5 top-5 picks.

Devils also tanked for many years under the tutelage of Lamoriello.

As for the Quebec/Avalanche, it was the result of tanking many years also.
Over five years (1988-1992), they had a 3rd OA, a 5th OA, 3 X 1st OA and a 4th OA (6 top-4 OA in 5 years). Need to add 2 1st round picks in 1987 (Fogarty and Sakic), 2 X 1st round in 1993 (Thibeault and Deadmarsh) and two more in 1994. The only team that can compare to Quebec as far as tanking goes is Edmonton.
So when they move at the end of 1994, they were all getting in their prime.
This team was built in Quebec by tanking almost 10 years and Lacroix basically added Roy (bad trade for MTL but they had decided they were going to rush it).

Wings did pretty good but they also had unlimited budget and were able to pick Datsyuk, Franzen, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Kronwall before other teams learned to dig in Europ: this gave them the cups in the 2000's. Rockstrom gave them two or three of their cup. They also had 8 top-11 and a 17th between 1983 and 1991(9 years): Major tanking: this gave them the cups in the 1990's. At least the cups in the 2000s were based on good management (+ of course picks from the 1990's still on the team).​

Yes but are fans ready to see us out of the PO for four or five years?
Just seeing the reaction on this board, the answer is NO.

About Gainey, I never saw so many complains as there are against MB.
Still:
2005-6: 15th
2006-7: 19th
2007-8: 3rd
2008-9: 14th
2009-10: 19th (ECF)
2010-11: 14th
2011-12: 28th

Are we that much worse than during the Gainey era?
We have 4th, 10th, 2nd and 22nd + 1 ECF in four years.

Going back to 2010:
First and foremost. Maybe Halak was the cause of our two rounds but we did beat Washington who was the best team in the league and Pens who had won the cup the previous year.
Because of that we had two rounds with 7 games each. Flyers had much easier path.

Markov was injured during our first game in Pittsburgh.
He was our best player. Remove Pronger from the Flyers and add Markov to our team and the story might have been different.

Leighton played on his head during the ECF: 1.0, 1.0, .868, 1.0, .926
Halak collapsed: .714, .870, .962, .917, .880.
Leighton was not so good in previous rounds and did not do so good in following rounds.
Against us, he was a killer. That was his career year and he played only one PO game after that season.

At least Halak has been able to get good number since (never like 2010 but still).

Another problem was that our team was built on speed (and Halak).
So when Halak could no longer play on his head, the opposing goalie playing on his head and our defense decimated (leaving Hamrlik, Spacek, Rookie PK, MAB, Gorges, Gill).

But Halak also did receive as much help from other players blocking the shots.
We still did pretty good: Briere scored 30 points in 23 PO games (12 against Chicago in SCF:amazed:) that year but only 3 against us.
Point here: loosing Markov, our best offensive d-men in his prime may be the reason why we did not make it to ECF.
Him and PK were a very good duo and MAB/Hamrlik/Spacek was a big downgrade in offense.

In 2014, we lost Carey Price when Kreider rammed into him and we lost him in the first game of the ECF. Budaj replaced him and we called back Tokarski to replace Price for the next 5 game. So we lost in 6 without Price who was injured in the first period of the ECF. With Price we could have probably gone to SCF.
Point here: loosing Price, our best player may be the reason why we did not make it to ECF.. This is an strong argument to get a player like Weber BTW. Sergacheyov, Weber, Beaulieu and Petry will be able to clean the crease.

Again, we do have problems but the worst one is probably that we do not tank enough to pick up a load of top players.

Part of the problem was also related to ownership: before 2001, the old ownership did not want to loose money by competing to get the cup.
There was an internal revenue cap from the end of the 1990 till the last year before Gillett sold the team.
When Gillett took over in 2001, he had a very good deal (I think he paid 10M cash and borrowed the rest from the banks and Molson).
He kept the team under an internal SCap while other teams like the Rangers and the Wings were spending a lot until the lock-out.
With Boivin bringing more revenue, he was able to repay an important part of the debt.
For example, in 2007-8, MTL was 17th in SCap at 47.7M (well below PHI at 56.5M).
As part of the deal with NHLPA, the SCap was starting to be published.
It would have been impossible to keep having the most expensive tickets in NHL while having one of the lowest salary cap.
Time to pocket the money and go.

He wanted to sell the team so he opened his pocket for a year and Gainey was able to get Lang, Tanguay, Laraque and give a pay raise to AK.
So Habs jumped to 5th in 2008-9 and were sold in 2009.
Having recovered between 50M and 100M (maybe more) and paid the team 275M, he ran away with more than 300M in his pocket. Not so bad for a 10M investment.
The salary cap was allowing teams like the Habs to make significant profits.
When you pay 550M, you can easily get 50% in loan.
Habs must have a ROI of 15% to 20% at least.

So from 2001 till 2010, you have basically the result of Gillett "I will bring a 25th Cup to Montreal" the savior pocketing money instead of investing to make this team competitive.

Basically, from 1993 till 2009, ownership had an internal SCap.
This also applied to the organization.

When MB came in, he was allowed to build a management team and was given the means.
With Molson, we have an owner who wants to bring the Cup and he will not change his GM every year. Going through all the troubles needed.
But he still a businessman, if MB would tell him: we need to tank for five years, not sure he would like it.

If we had so many years without a Cup run, it has to start with Ownership.

Let's see what will happen in year 5 of MB. Team collapsed but he did significant changes. There was no point changing a team who had an ECF finals in 2013-14 and was 2nd in the league the following year.

not as long as you ignore the following disaster year.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
To me it looks like complete spin.

Not statistical base, 200 people polled without any information or scientific background. Six per team? are you serious?

But he still present it like an elaborate analysis with science behind it.

Just sounds like a problem with your perception, honestly, and not with the attempted scope/depth of the article's "investigation". It's a guy writing about hockey, and you're simply holding it to a useless level of scrutiny that serves little but make you feel good about rejecting a premise that runs contrary to your opinion. Again, the article was not submitted to academia for scientific publication. It was shared in the sporting world.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I can see a few areas where Weber could bring us added value.
Clearing the crease and protect Carey Price, leadership, a scary shot.
He is our best player and has been injured twice.

Leadership to prevent the collapsed we saw for two months last season.
I thank Weber, Shaw, Radulov and Price coming back will provide more leadership than what we had last season.

Now, PK is more mobile, spectacular and will provide more offense over the next 6 years but Weber's shot on PP will also help (although if Subban has more PPP, it might be as valuable).

Still do not discount Weber.
Chara got his Norris at 32 years old and despite being 38, he still score 37 points last season, his best scoring season was at 34 and his third and fourth best scoring seasons were are 32 and 33 years old.
So expecting 4 years of top-10 hockey from Weber is certainly possible and I could see him still being a top-20/30 d-men after 35 years old.

Just looking at this year, I prefer a 51 points Weber to a 55 points OEL.
Having your ribs broken as Shaw experienced with Weber may slow down a few players:naughty:.
Remember the first reaction of Toews: happy to see Weber go to the East. Someone must have texted him (do not motivate PK against us) because he tweeted 2 hours later: it is a lose/lose. Still the first reaction was about Weber...

He also has the hardest shot in the last two NHL all star games.

What a shot:

and he may even do it harder as Chara started to win all-star hardest shot at 30 and his three best years were at 34, 35 and 36.
He might one day break the record established by Chara.

You say just looking at this year, you game Weber before OEL. That's fair. How about in 2 years, when OEL is a 26 yr old in his prime and Weber is heading into his twilight years, though?

Someone mentioned this move being the opposite of a talented chess player thinking several moves ahead...which seems prescient. This might not hurt too much this season, but it's too convenient to think trading one of the best in the game for a significantly older, but qualitatively equivalent player, will not haunt us

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We may be the only team in the league without a bad contract AND our two main players (Patch, Price) are signed to bargain deals AND we only have 1 player with a NMC (Petry). That's seems like pretty good management to me.

We also have the best G in the league to go along with a quality AND experienced top-3 on D (Weber, Markov, Petry). Up front we have tons of potential 2nd-3rd liners ready to graduate (Ghetto, McCarron, Hudon, Carr, etc) to go along with 6 quality established forwards in Patch, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Radulov and Gallagher.

I'm not sure how we can rank 26th. We are in very good shape.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
We may be the only team in the league without a bad contract AND our two main players (Patch, Price) are signed to bargain deals AND we only have 1 player with a NMC (Petry). That's seems like pretty good management to me.

We also have the best G in the league to go along with a quality AND experienced top-3 on D (Weber, Markov, Petry). Up front we have tons of potential 2nd-3rd liners ready to graduate (Ghetto, McCarron, Hudon, Carr, etc) to go along with 6 quality established forwards in Patch, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Shaw, Radulov and Gallagher.

I'm not sure how we can rank 26th. We are in very good shape.

Emelin - $4.1 per; Bad Contract
Price is our only "Main" player. Even the management admits this every time I the say if Price is healthy we are a playoff team.
Only Petry on NMC because the other clauses ended this year or the player was traded before it kicked in.

We should be ranked lower, around 28-29th.
We are not in good shape.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Price is our only "Main" player. Even the management admits this every time I the say if Price is healthy we are a playoff team.
Only Petry on NMC because the other clauses ended this year or the player was traded before it kicked in.

Plekanec and DD overpaid, but thankfully, short terms remaining.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

Don't think you understand what a bad contract is. A slightly overpaid player at the end of his contract isn't a bad contract. In what world is the team not in good shape cap-wise?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Don't think you understand what a bad contract is. A slightly overpaid player at the end of his contract isn't a bad contract. In what world is the team not in good shape cap-wise?

Emelin is half way through his 4 yr extension, with 2 yrs remaining at $4.1 mil per yr.
= Bad Contract

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Plekanec and DD overpaid, but thankfully, short terms remaining.
True, and after what the Leafs have pulled off, trading Fanoof and his crazy deal, anyone can be traded, well except DD because no one will pay a gnome 3.5M to go out on the ice, and fall down, and make their PP awful.

But it just goes to show you, anyone can be traded...luckily we are in pretty good shape overall with our contracts...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Emelin is half way through his 4 yr extension, with 2 yrs remaining at $4.1 mil per yr.
= Bad Contract
Somewhat true, the one I noticed with Emelin last year, later in the season when we had no choice, he got alot of ice time, and actually played better...if he can keep himself in the top 4 he might have a better season...

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
= Bad Contract

Again, don't think you understand bad if a 4th-5th defenseman making $4.1 and expiring next year is bad in your eyes. You may want to look at other teams around the league because if that's your definition of bad, and it's your main reason for believing the Habs are among worst in league cap-wise, you couldn't be more wrong.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Radulov is a fabulous player to add to our roster. Top-3 if not top-10 in the league.

Sergacheyov -Weber
Beaulieu - Patry​
Really looks good to me.

My question is more about offense. Who, among our young players, will be able to be part of Cup winning team.
Carr will continue to surprise people. McCarron is very close to being a full time Habs player. The wild cards are Andrighetto, Lekhonen and Scherbak.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber is not the better scorer, he's a better goal scorer. There's a difference.
Subban drives the play forward, he's one of the best one in the NHL to do it. That is his biggest strength and yet, it's rarely ever mentioned by people who support this trade.
Also, people love to talk about how big Weber is and great defensively, but he's not better at puck protection than PK. He's also not better to shake off an opponent that's on his tail.

Some people just never learn. They will put more importance on ''intangibles'' than talent. That's what leads someone to foolishly sign Parros instead of a good bottom line player. That's what makes a stupid coach think he should play Douglas freaking Murray over not only Beaulieu, but even PK Subban!!

I think it's an older generation thing. The ones who are conservative and think this way always end up being a step behind.

Analytics are there for Subban but results weren't. 6 goals?

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

Plecanec at 2 years 6 mil per year is also a bad contract. Bad timing when signed and to much money.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Ok sure
But, even the OP mis-labeled the title
It is still a reflection of the confidence the fan base has in management

I believe it would have been harder hitting and carried more weight if the polled all the GMs or coaches or true hockey people.

This is the same fanbase that nearly booed Carey Price out of town so as far as this fanbase goes let's take this with a massive grain of salt.

As for your second point, if they had polled those people the Habs would have been no where near the bottom.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Again, don't think you understand bad if a 4th-5th defenseman making $4.1 and expiring next year is bad in your eyes. You may want to look at other teams around the league because if that's your definition of bad, and it's your main reason for believing the Habs are among worst in league cap-wise, you couldn't be more wrong.

Uh, I don't think you know what next year is. Because this is 2016, and Emelin's contract definitely expires in 2018. And $4.1 million IS a bit rough for any 3rd pairing defenseman. If you measure him by the 20 mins/night he got with us, being overplayed and inadequate as a 2nd pairing defenseman, he might almost seem like a steal, but...

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Wait even though im not a fan someone explain how we are 2nd worst lmao. Have you seen some of the garbage other teams have done over the years.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Apples and oranges.

The difference between Montoya and Condon is 375K. The discussion at the time, revolved around hiring some 3M backup who could shoulder a starter role. That is what people took objection to. Everyone is fine with a more experienced and higher caliber back up for a mere 375K increase in cap hit.

BTW, if Montoya could shoulder a starter role, he wouldn't be accepting back up jobs at sub 1M. So if Price does get injured, we're likely not much better off than we were last year since Montoya is NOT a starter, and his numbers won't be as good if he has to shoulder a starter role. And now the question becomes, are we going to lose Condon when we send him down to the AHL ? Hell, it was Condon's rookie season last year. I think he did pretty well for a rookie playing that many games with zero support around him. Not one rookie goalie had played as many games as he did in years. Since he's still young and inexperienced, it's entirely possible that he improves enough that he's a superior option to Montoya. Obviously, I doubt any of this matters because Montoya didn't sign here to go in the AHL.

But anyway... all this to say that this is not the same discussion at all.

No, believe it or not, I was criticized for advocating trading $3.5M DD to Ottawa for Hammond at 1.3M, because "that is too much to spend on a backup goalie". ok, BETTER TO KEEP DESHARNAIS. :shakehead

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Apples and oranges.

The difference between Montoya and Condon is 375K. The discussion at the time, revolved around hiring some 3M backup who could shoulder a starter role. That is what people took objection to. Everyone is fine with a more experienced and higher caliber back up for a mere 375K increase in cap hit.

BTW, if Montoya could shoulder a starter role, he wouldn't be accepting back up jobs at sub 1M. So if Price does get injured, we're likely not much better off than we were last year since Montoya is NOT a starter, and his numbers won't be as good if he has to shoulder a starter role. And now the question becomes, are we going to lose Condon when we send him down to the AHL ? Hell, it was Condon's rookie season last year. I think he did pretty well for a rookie playing that many games with zero support around him. Not one rookie goalie had played as many games as he did in years. Since he's still young and inexperienced, it's entirely possible that he improves enough that he's a superior option to Montoya. Obviously, I doubt any of this matters because Montoya didn't sign here to go in the AHL.

But anyway... all this to say that this is not the same discussion at all.

I agree with BC. A lot of people just discussed bringing in a better back up because Condon failed. I got into big arguments with some people who irrationally argued Condon had somehow proven he could be a reliable back up.
It was completely illogical and irrational from them. I never brought up the idea of signing a 3M+ back up. I said we needed someone more proven than Condon.
Then those same posters asked for names, and no matter who was presented, they would find any reason to shoot it down.
Some went as far as suggesting this was some type of ploy on my part just so I can crap on Bergevin later because they didn't think he was going to bring any help in nets. :biglaugh: Man the crap that's posted here at times just so people can keep arguing.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I agree with BC. A lot of people just discussed bringing in a better back up because Condon failed. I got into big arguments with some people who irrationally argued Condon had somehow proven he could be a reliable back up.
It was completely illogical and irrational from them. I never brought up the idea of signing a 3M+ back up. I said we needed someone more proven than Condon.
Then those same posters asked for names, and no matter who was presented, they would find any reason to shoot it down.
Some went as far as suggesting this was some type of ploy on my part just so I can crap on Bergevin later because they didn't think he was going to bring any help in nets. :biglaugh: Man the crap that's posted here at times just so people can keep arguing.

You know on what side I was to that too. Strangely, those people have been relatively quiet since the Montoya signing.....

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Sergacheyov -Weber
Beaulieu - Patry​
Really looks good to me.

three years ago same stuff written about the line up

Subban Tinordi
Markov Bealeau

looked really good at the time

I like Weber, but quite frankly you could insert Subban or Wber or Doughty or Kieth or Karlsson into the blue line, add current prospects, fast forward two or three seasons and start drooling.

Not like the other 29 teams will be standing still or going stale while MB and MT build their dynasty. Ha!

Hab mgt will consider the team successful if they make the play offs and lose in round 1 or 2.

Bar has never been lower for this team.

Montreal Canadiens ............under current ownershio and mgt....... yaaaaaaaawwwwwnnn

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lead the team for assists while missing 14 games???

lead the Montreal Canadiens in assists.....not a huge feat

Who did PK beat out for "assist leader"? the injury plagued Gallagher or the hobbled Pacerietty? Maybe the 37 year old immobile Markov? Tomas "no hands" Plekanic? DD and Chucky ?

I like PK but he did not have a great year. Now that they traded him I wish they had done it after any other season than the last one. Would have got more in return.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad