News Article: Hockey News: Habs front office 2nd worst in the NHL

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Sobering assessment in the Hockey News. I guess RDS would rank the Habs top though so there's that :laugh:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/h...their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

This survey is the result of the worst collapse in the history of the league as exemplified by the "change in confidence last year" bar. Part of it is deserved. But when I look at some things such "cap management" and "draft/develop" where we rank 26th .. I find this unreasonably harsh.

But there's no question that after trading Subban, the pressure will be ridiculously high from the public. Habs better come out strong or it will soon become unbearable... particularly if Subban and Nashville are doing well.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
As ranked by the fan base
Not quite as biting as "as ranked by NHL GMs"
Our fans have been known to be more fickle than 14 yr old girls

I think it's mere fluff to fill the summer months or fodder for the MB haters

"confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office? A ranking of all"

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
As ranked by the fan base
Not quite as biting as "as ranked by NHL GMs"
Our fans have been known to be more fickle than 14 yr old girls

I think it's mere fluff to fill the summer months or fodder for the MB haters

"confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office? A ranking of all"

Mmm... it's a compilation of all teams... held seemingly every year judging by the "change in confidence over last year" bar. Let's not see anti-MB conspiracies everywhere.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Mmm... it's a compilation of all teams... held seemingly every year judging by the "change in confidence over last year" bar. Let's not see anti-MB conspiracies everywhere.

Actually I heard the author on TSN 690 last week. It was a one-time survey, only 200 participants and he would not say if it was 6 from each fan base, or if the majority came from a few big markets. It all happened because he personally pitched the idea to The Hockey News.

By pure coincidence, his personal top 5 included 4 out of the top 5 in the survey.

When Tony asked him to explain why fans across the league would have lost confidence in the Habs management, he listed as the second most likely reason that Andrew Shaw got too big a contract.

Seriously? That is what people in 30 different cities are thinking about? I highly doubt it.

Then he talked about his own read on the Subban trade and not surprisingly, he found it to be one the worst possible trades ever.

The objectivity of the author and his "survey" is highly debatable. Before we accept it all without a grain of salt, I think we should ask a lot more questions.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

Ok sure
But, even the OP mis-labeled the title
It is still a reflection of the confidence the fan base has in management

I believe it would have been harder hitting and carried more weight if the polled all the GMs or coaches or true hockey people.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
We definitely aren't 26th in drafting.

Habs aren't 29th in anything. What a damn circus. The coverage and bashing is out of this world. The Habs aren't the tops either but the overreacting to everything is insane.

Straight up middle of the pack with the chance of going further in the playoffs than 24 other teams if/when Carey drags them there. He's part of the team, the one that this management signed to a 6 year deal. It counts.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs aren't 29th in anything. What a damn circus. The coverage and bashing is out of this world. The Habs aren't the tops either but the overreacting to everything is insane.

Straight up middle of the pack with the chance of going further in the playoffs than 24 other teams if/when Carey drags them there. He's part of the team, the one that this management signed to a 6 year deal. It counts.

Overracting might be insane and it goes both ways. We'd win 2 games in a row with 4 points from Weber, and we'd win the Cup and be #1 management.

Survey is dumb and stupid.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Overracting might be insane and it goes both ways. We'd win 2 games in a row with 4 points from Weber, and we'd win the Cup and be #1 management.

Wholeheartedly agree. I'd give my left nut for some even keel analysis and journalism right now.

We are getting a lot of emotions being passed as information. Training camp needs to start so we can have actual hockey to talk about.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Meh.. I don't like Bergervin but I don't think he's that bad.

We are not that bad in cap management either.

Players management on the other hand...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't think it's overreacting to say we've just made the worst trade this franchise has made since the Roy deal. You could certainly argue the McD trade was worse but this was horrific. We've also stuck ourselves with a horrible coach...

Survey may not be scientific but there are a lot of people out there right now with very little confidence in our front office.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
There are always a lot of people out there right now with very little confidence in our front office.

It's been the one consistent thing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only 200 responses to the poll, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

However, the writer seems to have his mind made up in respect of what may have caused the negative assessment:

The other part is that they completely destroyed any good will by trading a younger, better face-of-the-franchise D-man in exchange for an aging one with a hefty and lengthy contract. How can you really trust this team after that?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll answer with this: I like the addition of Muller. I think he'll act as a buffer between MT and the players.

I've seen the same type of argument made elsewhere.

Why would MT need a "buffer"? Is someone planning a coup? I thought the players loved him. :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There are always a lot of people out there right now with very little confidence in our front office.

It's been the one consistent thing
It has been since Serge Savard left anyway... I wouldn't blame the fans for that though.

Would you blame Leaf fans for feeling this way over the past 50 years?

CoachBrisebois

May 7, 2013
Then he talked about his own read on the Subban trade and not surprisingly, he found it to be one the worst possible trades ever.

The objectivity of the author and his "survey" is highly debatable. Before we accept it all without a grain of salt, I think we should ask a lot more questions.

Objectively the Subban trade put the franchise back another 5yr plan.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I've seen the same type of argument made elsewhere.

Why would MT need a "buffer"? Is someone planning a coup? I thought the players loved him. :sarcasm:

He's as abrasive as a coach can be. He's past his expiration date if you ask. Best case is you bring in a new face and a more mellow guy. Muller fills that role IMO. So, that's that. He's on a tight leash I hope/think.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Objectively the Subban trade put the franchise back another 5yr plan.

Objectively, there is no way to know either way. History always judges trades after a few years, not before a game has been played.

So anything we say, whether we are initially against the trade or in favour of it, is not really objective. Just opinion.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's as abrasive as a coach can be. He's past his expiration date if you ask. Best case is you bring in a new face and a more mellow guy. Muller fills that role IMO. So, that's that. He's on a tight leash I hope/think.

Therrien is apparently the guy who pushed for Muller to be brought in. Kirk said so himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad