Post-Game Talk: Hockey is Fun!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I’m kicking myself for having to work yesterday and not being able to watch it.

A win like that is usually a galvanizing moment, I hope this shows our team they can do anything if they work for it. 99% of teams would have collapsed and limped into the Christmas break. Bravo TML Bravo.

I have been extremely critical of our stars and I think deservedly so because we all know what they can do, perhaps this is moment when we realize what we can become. Keep it boys it’s only going to get tougher!

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
Wanted to throw my TV out the window in the 2nd period but I am glad I did not then I would have missed the Marner-Matthews show!

But let's not forget the d is really bad at times.

Reactions: Nooodles

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
d67e5ded-2544-4069-ae11-74ba229c890a.gif

64aaaa68-91ba-45fd-82eb-b1e216185d0f.gif

we were robbed of this for 3 seasons
f*** babcock

i cant wait for the Nylander Tavares Kapanen line
i can feel it coming

Attachments

• d67e5ded-2544-4069-ae11-74ba229c890a.gif
    d67e5ded-2544-4069-ae11-74ba229c890a.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Just got to watch the highlights and wow, what a crazy up and down game. Gotta credit Carolina, that team looks poised for a cup run in the next few years. That matthews assist was insane. I knew it was nice when I showed my wife, who hates hockey, and even she wanted to see the replay.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
View attachment 297453
View attachment 297457

we were robbed of this for 3 seasons
**** babcock

i cant wait for the Nylander Tavares Kapanen line
i can feel it coming
How it was almost never tried is f***ing crazy. Why try one of the best assist guys in the league with arguably the best shot in the league? That doesnt make sense! Imagine if the Capitals refused to try Backstrom and Ovechkin together. That's how ridiculous it is that Babs never tried it. I dont remember the exact figure but it was baffling at how little Matthews and Marner played together 5 on 5 over the years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
okay, I’ll bite on the trolling...

How is it nonsense???

Hyman brings a lot more to this team than Nylander does...if Nylander gets 7M, why shouldn’t Hyman?
It really doesnt even warrant explaining why Hyman wont make 7 million and I am sure you already know that.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It really doesnt even warrant explaining why Hyman wont make 7 million and I am sure you already know that.

Again, why shouldn’t Hyman get 7M? It might sting a bit, but he probably does bring that value to the team...

He brings more night-in and night-out than our current 7M man, Nylander...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
They’re not similar players, but WN and ZH are both playing at 0.74 P\GP, and we know that Hyman brings a ton more extra curriculars and valuable things that don’t necessarily show up on the scoresheet.

He’ll be in for a good pay day, and people here shouldn’t be blindsided by it like they were Marner (they probably shouldn’t have been blindsided by the Marner contract too once Matthews got his contract, TBH.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: unitedstars87

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Again, why shouldn’t Hyman get 7M? It might sting a bit, but he probably does bring that value to the team...

He brings more night-in and night-out than our current 7M man, Nylander...
Because of production. I'm not really sure what you're going for here. Hyman does things that dont make it on the score sheet sure, but hes a grinder. Nylander is capable of 80+ points. Hyman is a 50 point man. Nylander can be an elite player. Hyman will always be a complimentary winger. And this is coming from someone who loves Hymans game and feels hes more crucial than Nylander. I just dont understand your argument. You get paid for production and projection.

Reactions: stopclickbait

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Regardless, the greed train has left the station. Marner took up the entirety of the available seating and it is gone. Be it Hyman or anyone else, they can work with within reason for their ability and value or they are gone. That’s it.

Can’t see Hyman being crazy about what he can do. But if he does lose his mind then I’m sure he’ll be happy enough on whatever team he signs with after his deal is up.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because of production. I'm not really sure what you're going for here. Hyman does things that dont make it on the score sheet sure, but hes a grinder. Nylander is capable of 80+ points. Hyman is a 50 point man. Nylander can be an elite player. Hyman will always be a complimentary winger. And this is coming from someone who loves Hymans game and feels hes more crucial than Nylander. I just dont understand your argument. You get paid for production and projection.

What is wrong with Hyman’s production...? Are you not taking into consideration that he gets next to no PP time...? Are you not taking into consideration that his P/GP has been nearly identical to Nylander’s over the past two seasons (in spite of getting minimal pp opportunities)?

Hyman also does a lot more that doesn’t get recorded on the scoresheet.

Plus cap inflation + I’m assuming Hyman has another good/great season next season... but if this all happens, 7M is not far-fetched at all... if we don’t cough that up, some other team probably will.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
okay, I’ll bite on the trolling...

How is it nonsense???

Hyman brings a lot more to this team than Nylander does...if Nylander gets 7M, why shouldn’t Hyman?
Because there's no cap space and the Leafs can't afford it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Heck, Hyman has probably shown he is twice the player Johnsson is... why would 7M be outrageous after next season with a bit of inflation?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
you implied it because you said the Leafs paid Nylander that.

:huh: I never implied it at all... my original post was below... the rest was just supporting the argument!

QUOTE="MyBudJT, post: 168263659, member: 299837"]He’ll be due for a big pay day after next season. Don’t be surprised if he asks (and gets) 7M...[/QUOTE]

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What is wrong with Hyman’s production...? Are you not taking into consideration that he gets next to no PP time...? Are you not taking into consideration that his P/GP has been nearly identical to Nylander’s over the past two seasons (in spite of getting minimal pp opportunities)?

Hyman also does a lot more that doesn’t get recorded on the scoresheet.

Plus cap inflation + I’m assuming Hyman has another good/great season next season... but if this all happens, 7M is not far-fetched at all... if we don’t cough that up, some other team probably will.
Did you not bother reading my post? Hyman produces. But I think 50ish points is around his max. Do you want him on the PP? Honestly? His best work is grinding, not skill, which is what you want from players on the PP. I mean sure, you can bring up Nylander vs Hymans production from last season, but let's not pretend that Nylander was very good last season. That skews the numbers for sure. I'm not even sure why you're arguing with me, I already said I like Hyman and feel that hes a crucial player for us. Its just that you get paid based on production and projection. Nylander is a proven 60 point man capable of 80+ points. Hyman isnt and never will be capable of that type of production. Hes a banger who has 3rd line skills. Hes a complimentary winger. That's why hes not worth $7 million.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
:huh: I never implied it at all... my original post was below... the rest was just supporting the argument!

QUOTE="MyBudJT, post: 168263659, member: 299837"]He’ll be due for a big pay day after next season. Don’t be surprised if he asks (and gets) 7M...
[/QUOTE]
ok, sorry I misread it, I hope the Leafs don't lose him.

Reactions: MyBudJT

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Leafs have cut .7 off their GAA since keefe took over and that includes letting in 6 vs the Canes last night and melting down in Phi when the game was over. Leafs also added .6 to their GF.

Knocking almost a goal against off their GAA while learning a new system on the fly is impressive. Imagine if Keefe had a full training camp to work on his system

Just shows you how Babs wasnt able to adapt to what style Dubas wanted to play

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
11 of the 14 goals on one side of the ice. Leafs ice crew tilting the ice to give the Leafs the advantage 2 of the 3 periods.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I figured we'd be getting in more of these last goal wins type games this year.

I figured 6-5 and 5-4 type matches would be on the menu.

Andersen has generally been solid and kept the goals against to a more manageable level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad