Post-Game Talk: Hockey is Fun!

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
How it was almost never tried is ****ing crazy. Why try one of the best assist guys in the league with arguably the best shot in the league? That doesnt make sense! Imagine if the Capitals refused to try Backstrom and Ovechkin together. That's how ridiculous it is that Babs never tried it. I dont remember the exact figure but it was baffling at how little Matthews and Marner played together 5 on 5 over the years.
Not enough puck to go around :sarcasm:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Holl has been a revelation for us, but he was not very good in this game. It happens. Let's see how he recovers from it. Another player who continues to underwhelm and is constantly making poor reads and passes is Rielly. Keefe has to find what's going on with this guy, he's too good to be making those kinds of blunders.

And Rielly's brainfart leading to a goal against in his own zone.

I know another player who would have a thread slamming him for a giveaway in the O-Zone, let along up the middle in the D-Zone.

Kid love of kid gloves?

I watched Reilly fairly closely this game. Yes, definitely a number of blunders. Not sure what's going on with him. Hopefully its just a temporary thing and he'll find his game again.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I normally don't venture far on other boards, but that was actually a decent laugh. :laugh:

Hmmm, I never read other teams' GDT but you sparked my curiousity.

This aged the best (with my favourite hot take bolded):

"Loved watching Carolina expose Toronto for the frauds that they are at the end of the 2nd period. 3 goals in just over a minute lol.

Matthews looks like **** with Marner. Wonder what excuse Leafs fans will bring out next. They've always got something lined up as an excuse for nostrils."

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
I wont disagree. I remember when Babs was brought in he took it upon himself to "protect" the young players as he said from the media by throwing himself in front of the cameras. In hindsight, I really wonder if that's why he actually did it. Was it about protecting the young players or about stroking his ego? I'm so happy hes gone. It's a huge relief as a fan and you can see the players feel that way too. I think we've all worked for an awful boss and when they get canned, it's like you can breathe again.

Lord knows I can't stand Babcock the coach, but, he seems like a decent guy away from the ice. I commend how he is an advocate for mental health, he gets props. I think he defended the players because he wanted to sheild them, yes you can question his tactics, but there's no doubt Babcock cares about his players on his team.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Lord knows I can't stand Babcock the coach, but, he seems like a decent guy away from the ice. I commend how he is an advocate for mental health, he gets props. I think he defended the players because he wanted to sheild them, yes you can question his tactics, but there's no doubt Babcock cares about his players on his team.

Yeah sure he cares about them so much he asks a rookie to make a list of players with the worst attitude, so he can make them better.

Lol

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

"Loved watching Carolina expose Toronto for the frauds that they are at the end of the 2nd period. 3 goals in just over a minute lol.

Matthews looks like **** with Marner. Wonder what excuse Leafs fans will bring out next. They've always got something lined up as an excuse for nostrils."

this is what I say to them

upload_2019-12-24_11-6-21.jpeg

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Nylander is inconsistent with his effort, but when he combines it with his skill, he can make a huge impact. I think we have the right coach to get that out of him.
Again
I hope so , but to me
This is his year to prove it as with some of our other on the fence players
Consistency
Effort
Scoring
Competing

if not then we should have no choice but to make the right decision and move on ...
Bruins - Kessel

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Again
I hope so , but to me
This is his year to prove it as with some of our other on the fence players
Consistency
Effort
Scoring
Competing

if not then we should have no choice but to make the right decision and move on ...
Bruins - Kessel
I think Nylander has 2 of those covered, and the other 2 should get better.
His compete level was fine until recently, so maybe this break came at a good time for him and even Freddy. He has struggled last couple starts.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I watched Reilly fairly closely this game. Yes, definitely a number of blunders. Not sure what's going on with him. Hopefully its just a temporary thing and he'll find his game again.

He has had a tonne of those moments this year.

He isn't old as a defenseman so you hope he keeps improving. No one would complain about having a Yandle, Letang, Karlsson, they just need good defensive partners.

Maybe there should two trophies, best defensman Norris/Orr, and best offensive defenseman Coffey.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Svechnikov is a keeper for sure. Goaltending has been the issue for them over the last few years. I think it might be better this year, but not sure how good it is exactly.

Only problem I see with sech so far is he doesnt seem to know how to nibble he just bites and a few times already he has bit off more then he can chew. He already got brained by ovexhkin for it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That was nuts. First I was like yay! Then I was like boo. Lots of boo. Then it looked bleak. Until we went on beast mode and there was lots of yay! 5 goals in the 3rd lol. What fun!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs were on the PP. I assume Nylander was a playing up high and the cherry picker just had a step on Willy on a quick transition or during a change.

That explains some of it, but that side of the ice has a lot of those breakdowns.
Leafs bench was sleeping I suppose.
Nylander was physically on the opposite wing so kind of hard for him to be on both sides of the ice at the same time.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That explains some of it, but that side of the ice has a lot of those breakdowns.
Leafs bench was sleeping I suppose.
Nylander was physically on the opposite wing so kind of hard for him to be on both sides of the ice at the same time.

it was a bad change I think.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Lemme guess ... Isles fan or Oilers?

Reactions: BayStBullies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad