Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I heard earlier this season Charlie Kaylor was coming back. He went to Notre Dame with some people I know but I know he quit hockey a couple years ago. EP doesn't have any stats for him, is he back and just not playing or did he try to come back, realized he wasn't near where he was when he left and quit again?

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
I heard earlier this season Charlie Kaylor was coming back. He went to Notre Dame with some people I know but I know he quit hockey a couple years ago. EP doesn't have any stats for him, is he back and just not playing or did he try to come back, realized he wasn't near where he was when he left and quit again?
Romford dropped him first week of the season.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Probably realised there's no real future career in hockey in this country, especially for a goalie.

There have been plenty of good players who drifted off the radar because work in the real world came first, a recent example of this is Sam Waller.

But he quit when he was 18 and from all accounts from Notre Dame guys he was a good goalie, even had size! Looking at his EPIHL stats from his last season, looks like he coulda been up there with Ben Bowns by now.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
But he quit when he was 18 and from all accounts from Notre Dame guys he was a good goalie, even had size! Looking at his EPIHL stats from his last season, looks like he coulda been up there with Ben Bowns by now.
Going from backing up at the eventual playoff winners to facing 60+ shots a night, while also knowing that the team would be dropping out of the league as soon as the season was done, would probably demoralise anyone. Not to mention coming back to that team three years later and getting dropped before even showing what you can do. Chris is right, there are plenty of good players in this country who just gave up because they couldn't see a future in the sport and/or were dicked about.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
I can't understand why GB teams don't want to develop home grown players :pullhair:
Some do, but for just as many teams it's too much effort and requires actual investment in progression and, my personal bugbear, coaching. Look at how many rookie player-coaches are in the country each year, it's an easy option.

I also don't think it's even a development issue, the internal politics and tribalism are enough to make you go bloody loopy. People play favourites all the time and don't like to be told if they're doing something wrong.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
How much does an EIHL team cost :D
Market value? The majority, probably £1. Manchester Storm, fresh off a Superleague title and with 8,000+ attendances, sold for that. Value is such because of all the debt that comes with it. Someone like Fife or Nottingham would be worth something realistic because they're run properly, i.e. as a business and not a sports team and therefore make money. Can maybe put Belfast in that bracket too nowadays.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Some do, but for just as many teams it's too much effort and requires actual investment in progression and, my personal bugbear, coaching. Look at how many rookie player-coaches are in the country each year, it's an easy option.

I also don't think it's even a development issue, the internal politics and tribalism are enough to make you go bloody loopy. People play favourites all the time and don't like to be told if they're doing something wrong.

You forgot to mention the fans. Many don't care about the nationality of the players and just want to see their team win and watch the best possible product. Many have said if the import quota dropped down to 8 or lower they would stop watching. Can't say I blame them to be honest, if you dropped a couple of imports would ticket prices drop a couple of quid? Doubt it.

As for the actual development of players, some have got it right; Coventry, Hull. Steelers are the biggest culprits of all, the Sheffield junior club is the best in the country and has been for a long time, and they're completely neglecting it.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Last edited:

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
https://twitter.com/BBCSport

tweeting about increased funding for certain sports.

Guess what? Ice hockey isn't mentioned as Paul Thompson pointed out after retweeting it.

Such massive sports like rounders and goalball getting millions in funding, and what the **** is Boccia? Is orienteering even a sport?

http://www.sportengland.org/funding/ngb_investment/whole_sport_plans_2013-17.aspx

As you can see, we're not even on there.
The only winter sports mentioned is a broad category called "snow sports" neither nordic nor alpine.no ice sports at all that usually go hand in hand. Where do you go X-country skiing?
Really surprised at the baseball/softball funding are there teams in the UK? London 2012 organizers even managed to get them out of the olympics because they didn't want to build stadia.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
The only winter sports mentioned is a broad category called "snow sports" neither nordic nor alpine.no ice sports at all that usually go hand in hand. Where do you go X-country skiing?
Really surprised at the baseball/softball funding are there teams in the UK? London 2012 organizers even managed to get them out of the olympics because they didn't want to build stadia.

The one that annoyed me most was orienteering. It's walking and reading a map! You don't need funding for that! Thousands of people do that in London every day!

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Did IHUK submit a bid for funding? Probably not.

Ice hockey doesn't qualify for funding because sport England are a joke.

They're trying to dig themselves out of a hole on twitter now spewing crap like "but...but... we fund you through the small grants scheme!"

Yeah right, we never actually see any of that money.

I'm sure football will enjoy the extra 30 million they've been given to pay the players more.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London

Yes there are baseball and softball teams in the UK, quite a few in London actually (at least as many as hockey, which I admit is damning w/ faint praise).

Baseball and softball got dropped from the Olympics because MLB was totally uninterested in suspending the season for the Olympics. There were plans to build temporary baseball stadiums (but keeping the fields for future use) in Regent's Park.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
As my local hockey takes a break for the holidays after this weekend
I'd like to wish all GB fans a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Call me Suds

Dec 21, 2012
Yeah but it's nice being able to watch in HD. But ho ho ho they are showing figure skating! :shakehead

Not sure why they've decided not to show it this year, ever since I can remember they have had most Spengler cup games and the WJC

I don't even have HD TV lol

I watch my favorite NHL team via live stream a lot and it's actually clearer that way. HDMI cord from laptop to TV and it's just like on TV minus commercials!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad