Great Britain: Hockey in Britain part 3

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It's not cultural...
There has got to be a company like Bell...major media owner and communications company that supplies this for live streaming
http://www.streamit.ca/
It can't be that expensive since many amateur sports teams including High Schools, arts and community groups.
UK is a G7 country and highly tech savy

We just don't like streaming stuff in this country, I don't know why, it could be because people don't know what's legal and what isn't so they are afraid to do it. 90% of people who do watch sports streams are watching North American sports. Even streams for League 1 football and such are not popular.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
We just don't like streaming stuff in this country, I don't know why, it could be because people don't know what's legal and what isn't so they are afraid to do it. 90% of people who do watch sports streams are watching North American sports. Even streams for League 1 football and such are not popular.

Okay I give way.
We even have a company called Home Team Sports run by a bunch of retired broadcasters that for a low price will do an internet audio broadcast of your local team.
Guess there is a difference.
They do allot of local Senior and Jr B and C games. But may be more viable here because of the distances between communities and the lack of interest by national and regional media in local events

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Okay I give way.
We even have a company called Home Team Sports run by a bunch of retired broadcasters that for a low price will do an internet audio broadcast of your local team.
Guess there is a difference.
They do allot of local Senior and Jr B and C games. But may be more viable here because of the distances between communities and the lack of interest by national and regional media in local events

Another culture difference, in Canada you go nuts for junior hockey regardless of the level and in America its the same for College and high school sports. Here, to put it bluntly, we just don't give a ****

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Another culture difference, in Canada you go nuts for junior hockey regardless of the level and in America its the same for College and high school sports. Here, to put it bluntly, we just don't give a ****

I think you're reading hockey specificaly into my comments.
I'm sure county rugby, soccer/foottball, cricket local artsy fartsy, groups get their events out there.
Hell I've even bought bingo tickets from various groups that have a link to a stream to watch,,,,I didn't watch because I didn't expect to win and considered it a donation. At least they we'rent hat in hand offering nothing.
All I'm saying is that if EIHL EPIHL. NIHL, SNL want to get their games out there that it is possible and cheaply.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I think you're reading hockey specificaly into my comments.
I'm sure county rugby, soccer/foottball, cricket local artsy fartsy, groups get their events out there.
Hell I've even bought bingo tickets from various groups that have a link to a stream to watch,,,,I didn't watch because I didn't expect to win and considered it a donation. At least they we'rent hat in hand offering nothing.
All I'm saying is that if EIHL EPIHL. NIHL, SNL want to get their games out there that it is possible and cheaply.

No they don't. You're lucky to find a legal stream for even a big boxing match. I remember watching David Haye vs that massive Valuev bloke from Russia, one of the biggest fights of the year, and the quality of the stream was terrible and I'm pretty sure it was an illegal one. Boxing isn't exactly unpopular here either. Apart from North American sports it's probably the thing that is streamed the most since you have to pay to watch it on TV box office.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Scott Conway (Texas Tornado) producing like Jack Prince in his first season. Jack Prince finished with 56GP 23G 27A 50PTS at the same age. Conway currently has 23GP 6G 16PTS 22PTS.

Hopefully he stays on the radar for GB Hockey after missing the U18s despite being named to the early roster last season. I too cheap to buy one of the Texas games on fasthockey but I have a friend from Texas that I sent to a couple games lol I told him it was a good way to spend time during the lockout. He said Conway's looking pretty good, undisciplined though. Plays two-way hockey but needs to shoot more. Maybe if he consistently gets better like Prince he'll turn his NAHL stint into an NCAA gig

I guess since I mention him a bunch, Jack Prince isn't doing too much in NCAA right now. 2 apples in 13 games which is sadly 4 points behind the team leader in points, 6pts in 14 games. Hopefully over his 4 years there they get better offensively. It should teach him a little about defense lol

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Do you want to make a British players abroad thread? Talk about the guys in Europe as well as NA

Have one of those fancy stat chart things in the OP

I tried to make one of those before and gave up :laugh:

If I could just take the EP section of "Players Abroad" and put it into the forum I would but I can barely figure out the simplest of tasks on a computer :(

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
EP now covers Great Britain U16, including OHA.

Props to Mattski

How do I access it? I searched "Swindon" in the team search bar and only got the U18's and the senior teams, the U16's are not under affiliated teams for any of them either.

Nevermind, found them under "not active UK" and realised there's only info for a few teams

Last edited:

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
How do I access it? I searched "Swindon" in the team search bar and only got the U18's and the senior teams, the U16's are not under affiliated teams for any of them either.

Nevermind, found them under "not active UK" and realised there's only info for a few teams
Yup, nowhere near done yet, not even been able to get the league created. Give me a week or two and it should all be finished.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I was treated like I had 3 heads when I suggested OHA stats could be on EP this season ;)

UK Hockey is always one of the better covered areas on EP because of Matt.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Btw there's a really good bunch of players coming through at the U16 level right now. The U16 A league has gone back to the days when it was somewhat intimidating to officiate :laugh: I remember doing a game back when James Griffin was a U16, and the other linesman said "I can't believe we get paid more for women's than we do for this, we're risking our lives out there!" :laugh:

It's been weird watching some of the players grow up. Back when I first started lining I was doing Swindon U12 games with Mike Stratford playing and now he towers over me :laugh: and the Ealey-Newman brothers from Slough were playing in the U16 game I did last week, I remember when they were like 3 feet tall :laugh:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
There's a feature on elite prospects where you can search for players from a particular country who are playing abroad in NA or Europe

In fact while I've got some time, I'll make the Britons abroad thread we were thinking of having.

I hope you include some halfsies like Conway, Perlini, Stewart :D

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
99problems, do you remember where you posted that potential U18 roster? I can't be ass'd to go look through all your posts and... well I'm just too lazy to go look for it lol

I made up a potential roster based off stats and speaking to people from GB/posts on here and I wanted to compare the lineup you put together.

I'll post mine and hopefully when you wake up, you know where it is and can link me. I'll forget if I don't post ;)

Goalers:
-Adam Goss / G / '95
-Jordan Hedley / G / '96

Defense:
*James Wallace / D / '95
*Declan Balmer / D / '95
-Matt Selby / D / '95
-Jonathon Kirk / D / '95
-Declan Balmer / D / '95
-Scott Robson / D / '95
-Jay King / D / '96
-Cameron McGiffin / D / '96

Forwards:
*Bobby Chamberlain / F / '95
*Jordan Cownie / F / '95
*Myles Dacres / F / '95
*Harry Harley / F / '95
*Lewis Hook / F / '96
*Floyd Taylor / F / '95
-Cameron Wynn / F / '95
-Kieran Latchford / F / '95
-Samuel Towner / F / '95
-Alex Whyte / F / '96
-Sean Beattie / F / '96
-Oliver Betteridge / F / '96

* = Returnees

There are 3 forwards I wanted to put on there but I figured I wouldn't. Two are obvious locks if they're not playing and accept playing for GB, Scott Conway and Brendan Perlini. That'd be a special combo. I found myself wanting to throw Sam Duggan on there as well but decided against it. Maybe next year lol Good looking group and I've likely forgot/don't know a few guys who are deserving out there.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I never did a potential U18 roster yet, just a U20 one. U18 tournament is ages away so I think it's best to wait a little longer before posting.

One forward you've missed is Craig Thurston, who should be there instead of guys like Whyte and Latchford, Jared Dickinson should be there over them too. Jordan Gregory and Harvey Stead should not be overlooked on D, would probably take them over Scott Robson and Jay King.

You should be careful with guys playing for the bottom half EIHL teams because they can't sign good Brits so they just get some kids to make up the numbers.

Honestly though this is a really good class of players, it's so difficult to pick the team. Anything short of promotion will be a massive disappointment for them, especially as they're playing in D2A.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Ye I had a few names you mentioned on my google doc that could fit in there but I went with diversity ;) chucked some Scots in there because nobody ever talks about them around these parts lol

It sucks that a year where the U18 looks this good, they're stuck in D2. At least it's not group B but it still sucks.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Ye I had a few names you mentioned on my google doc that could fit in there but I went with diversity ;) chucked some Scots in there because nobody ever talks about them around these parts lol

It sucks that a year where the U18 looks this good, they're stuck in D2. At least it's not group B but it still sucks.

I reckon the following year will be even better, so it's not all that bad since this lot will get promoted for them.

I will PM you tomorrow with some player reports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad