Hockey Fandom

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
1. Orr
2. Mr. Perfect
3. As much as I hate to admit it, the Stinkin' Habs
4. Cheevers (Honorable Mention to Jim "Seaweed" Pettie, because dude, his name was Seaweed)
5. Pasta

Reactions: LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
1. Ray Bourque. So big & strong, he really played like a bear out there
2. Charlie Coyle. I love this kid. But PJ remains #1
3. Montreal. I will hate them until I die.
4. I was 25 when I really got into hockey- Andy Moog. Small but one of the fiercest competitors between the pipes I've ever seen.
5. Jeremy Lauzon- big strong defenseman. Like a lot of what I have seen already.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Sorry for brevity, waiting to present

Cam; wanted to be him. We were too poor when I was a kid and too remote but when we were on the pond, that’s who I always pretended to be

Patrice; I’m going to legit be in a funk when he hangs them up.

Montreal; nuff said. I think Bergevin has had a creative year. I love it when the rivalry is hot and I’m anxious watching a game

Belfour - ha!

Charlie Mac-

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Stealing this from a social media post because I think it's an interesting discussion. Mods please merge with another thread if this already exists.

87042126_3206139146066196_8524626861190283264_n.jpg
1. Pavel Bure: I grew up on skates and remember watching the Bruins from a young age, but I wasn’t particularly fond of any individual player. However, we got a Sega Genesis and NHLPA 93 for Christmas in 1992, and I loved playing as the Canucks.

2. Krug, I guess.

3. Currently, nobody really. Expansion and the balanced schedule has put a damper on rivalries, as has the Canadiens’ lack of competitiveness as of late.

4. Eddie Belfour: I got the set of street hockey pads and mask when I was 9. Made the switch from skating out to playing net.

5. Nobody comes to mind.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
1. It was really a line, the Legion of Doom. They were amazing to watch. LeClair was my favorite of the three, but it was the line as a whole that really started my hockey fandom.
2. Bergeron
3. I have no idea. Is this supposed to be a team or a player? I guess Shea Weber would fit, I liked him before he became a rival Hab. :D
4. I didn't really watch hockey as a kid, so, none.
5. Probably Pasta. And hopefully Studnicka, if he turns out as advertised

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
1. Player that made me fall in love with Hockey: John Leclair
2. Favorite Player today: DeBrusk
3. Respected Rival: Canadiens
4. Favorite Goalie as a kid: Thomas probably
5. Must-Watch player for next 10 yrs: Joakim Nordstrom

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Stealing this from a social media post because I think it's an interesting discussion. Mods please merge with another thread if this already exists.

Mr. Orr (I know that’s not earth shattering, but.....)

Big Z. The man is a warrior and a superb human being. Class.

EK from San Jose just for how he treated young Charlie Mac in handshake line a few years back.

Billy Smith. Totally out of character given my other picks but he was a nutty mad man and just so damn fun to watch.

McDavid. Speed, size, hands, and, again, speed. I could watch him just skate. Sensational.

aguineapig

Stan Mikita was my favorite as the Bruins were cellar dwellers in early, mid sixties. With the grainy black and white TV I thought he was the caricature for the logo on the Hawks jersey. Saw a picture of him in Sport magazine or the like with him in uniform with the headdress on maybe that was why I thought that. And he invented the curved stick, we all tried to copy him.
Favorite today, Brandon Carlo. As a former D man with limited Offence, I appreciate the hard work grind em down play he brings. I know his teammates do too.
Respect all rivals , Original Six more so I suppose. Hate em all equal too.
Gump Worsley was favorite Goalie as a kid, his buzz cut made him look like Curly from The Stooges with goalie pads on. And hey anybody named Gump has to be good people.
Player most excited to watch is any kid coming up from junior, college or minors because I keep hoping I'll hang on long enough to see the Second coming of Bobby. Still waiting.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
1. Pavel Bure: I grew up on skates and remember watching the Bruins from a young age, but I wasn’t particularly fond of any individual player. However, we got a Sega Genesis and NHLPA 93 for Christmas in 1992, and I loved playing as the Canucks.

2. Krug, I guess.

3. Currently, nobody really. Expansion and the balanced schedule has put a damper on rivalries, as has the Canadiens’ lack of competitiveness as of late.

4. Eddie Belfour: I got the set of street hockey pads and mask when I was 9. Made the switch from skating out to playing net.

5. Nobody comes to mind.

Bure was so dynamic to watch. I was infatuated with him, Teemu Selanne, and Hakan Loob for a while since the B's never seemed to have highly skilled, highly offensive Scandinavian players on their roster.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sorry for brevity, waiting to present

Cam; wanted to be him. We were too poor when I was a kid and too remote but when we were on the pond, that’s who I always pretended to be

Patrice; I’m going to legit be in a funk when he hangs them up.

Montreal; nuff said. I think Bergevin has had a creative year. I love it when the rivalry is hot and I’m anxious watching a game

Belfour - ha!

Charlie Mac-

I tell my buddy who is a big Habs fan that it's always more fun if the Bruins get to play them in the playoffs. I hate them, but I enjoy it more when they're good because we as fans get to see this incredible rivalry in action. It sucks when one team isn't good and the other is.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
1. Player that made me fall in love with Hockey: Terry O'Reilly...wanted #24 for my 1st year playing hockey, but had to settle for #13, which I loved but no one from the Bruins wore it in the 70's
2. Favorite Player today: Bergeron
3. Respected Rival: Montreal...hate them, but I respect the history of the club and the passion of their fans
4. Favorite Goalie as a kid: Gerry Cheevers
5. Must-Watch player for next 10 yrs: Pasta...he seems to love playing the game so much​

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Orr
Bergeron/Marchand/McAvoy ..sorry I couldn't pick just one
habs
Cheevers
McAvoy

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Okay, I'll bite, but this isn't the whole story... Look up Bill Collins and Paul Woods. Anyway,

1. Gordie Howe. Later: Cam Neely. Many in between.

2. Patrice/Z. Honrable Mention: Brad.

3. MTL .

4. So many. Gerry Cheevers. Dryden was at his peak when I was coming of age. Billy Smith, too. Tim Thomas, tatood to my heart. All time: Terry Sawchuck, Jaques Plante.

5. Will be interesting if David can become a well rounded, three zone player going forward, rather than a pure scorer. Believe he can, and will, with his love for the game, and with 37 and 63 to tutle him. These are the transformations I love to see, ala Steve Yzerman. Not the individual and the goals. The team, winning with, and for, each other. Bruins style.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I thought that would be the really interesting part of this, tbh. I'm old so my frame of reference spans back pretty far. I thought it would be fun to see how many fans came on board just prior to and just after the cup win in 11...

I am very surprised there hasn't been any votes for Gretzky yet since more kids got involved in hockey after his trade to LA then at any other time.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
1. Cam Neely.
2. Bergeron and Chara, can't pick. Both are the epitome of what it means to be a Bruin.
3. I know the common theme in this thread is Montreal. I can't really agree. I'll say the Blackhawks. Loved the way that series was played (EXCEPT THE END) with little to no drama and just good solid hockey
4. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG
5. Pasta
6. Favourite non-Bruin, Carey Price. ugh. lol

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
1. Sergei Samsonov
2. Bergeron
3. Montreal
4. Hasek
5. Tough to pick one, but I'll say McDavid.

member 96824

1. It’s way more local for me but for NHL Patrick Roy (Avs) made me a fan, Marc Savard made me an addict
2. Claude Giroux
3. Philadelphia
4. Patrick Roy
5. Jack Eichel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad