Hockey Countries compared to Soccer Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sampe said:
I can't think of a hockey player to compare to Johan Cruyff; someone sublimely skilled and incredibly versatile. Kharlamov had the skill but lacked the versatility. Any help here?

How's about Yzerman? Could do it all in his prime.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sampe said:
Some player comparisons, while we're at it:

Gretzky = Pelé (greatest career ever)
Lemieux = Diego Maradona (most talented player ever)
Orr = Franz Beckenbauer (defenders who changed the game)
Howe = Alfredo Di Stefano (legends who could do it all and played for ages)
Jagr = Zinedine Zidane (best player in the world for the past 5-10 years)
Lindros = Ronaldo (most talented and hyped players of the current generation, careers 'spoiled' by injuries)

I can't think of a hockey player to compare to Johan Cruyff; someone sublimely skilled and incredibly versatile. Kharlamov had the skill but lacked the versatility. Any help here?

Pat Lafontaine - Marco van Basten
Dino Ciccarelli - Johan Neeskens

Can't come up with one for Cruiff either..

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Sampe said:
Some player comparisons, while we're at it:

Gretzky = Pelé (greatest career ever)
Lemieux = Diego Maradona (most talented player ever)
Orr = Franz Beckenbauer (defenders who changed the game)
Howe = Alfredo Di Stefano (legends who could do it all and played for ages)
Jagr = Zinedine Zidane (best player in the world for the past 5-10 years)
Lindros = Ronaldo (most talented and hyped players of the current generation, careers 'spoiled' by injuries)

Sergei Fedorov comes to mind.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Rabid Ranger said:
Since the U.S. is ranked in the top eight in both soccer (8th) and hockey(6th) (by FIFA and the IIHF respectively), that shouldn't be too hard. I know these rankings are up for debate, but still.

But those rankings don't mean anything (soccer)! Yeah, the US soccer team gets a lot of points by defeating countries like Costa Rica and El Salvador, cause they play all their friendly matches on that side of the globe. But there are no american players that play in the big teams in Europe (and most of those who play in Europe sit on the bench) and I can't remember the US ever beat a good soccer nation in a game that has any importance.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
Since the U.S. is ranked in the top eight in both soccer (8th) and hockey(6th) (by FIFA and the IIHF respectively), that shouldn't be too hard. I know these rankings are up for debate, but still.

Those rankings are among the worst in the world of sport. USA would probably be placed somewhere between 20th/25th..

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sampe said:
Yeah, Yzerman comes pretty close (though Cruyff was superior to him IMO). Thanks.

How about this, then. Substitute Doug Harvey for Orr = Beckenbauer, cuz Harvey was hockey's first real offensive defenceman, then put Orr with Cruyff. Nobody was more skilled or versatile than Orr.

Interesting thread.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Macman said:
How about this, then. Substitute Doug Harvey for Orr = Beckenbauer, cuz Harvey was hockey's first real offensive defenceman, then put Orr with Cruyff. Nobody was more skilled or versatile than Orr.

Interesting thread.

Regardless whether he was versatile, Orr was a defenseman first and foremost. Cruijf was a striker. Bad comparison though I can see where you are coming from..

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
These are actually fun. How about...

Mark Messier - Lothar Matteus

Great leaders, great careers in terms of both production and length, both played a versatile two-way game.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Modano = Dud said:
Regardless whether he was versatile, Orr was a defenseman first and foremost. Cruijf was a striker. Bad comparison though I can see where you are coming from..

I think it totally fits. Orr led the league in scoring twice and is certainly one of the Top 3 players of all time. He was a defenceman who played like a striker.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Macman said:
I think it totally fits. Orr led the league in scoring twice and is certainly one of the Top 3 players of all time. He was defenceman who played like a striker.

But he remains a defenseman so the comparison is hard to make..

Any comparisons for Edgar Davids? That could be fun..

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How about one for Michel Platini? I've been trying to think of something but am drawing blanks.

Which NHL goalies compare best with Dino Zoff and Lev Yashin?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Modano = Dud said:
Those rankings are among the worst in the world of sport. USA would probably be placed somewhere between 20th/25th..

That's fine. I don't follow soccer much. Considering how many countries play soccer, I would say mid twenties is pretty good all things considered.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
That's fine. I don't follow soccer much. Considering how many countries play soccer, I would say mid twenties is pretty good all things considered.

It's not even that bad, no. I agree..

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Macman said:
I think it totally fits. Orr led the league in scoring twice and is certainly one of the Top 3 players of all time. He was defenceman who played like a striker.

But is Doug Harvey a top 5 player of all time? Because Beckenbauer sure was IMO.

Then again, it's still somewhat closer ability wise than Cruyff vs. Yzerman.

Macman

May 15, 2004
How about Martin Havlat = the guy in the World Cup who fell to the ground in a writhing, testicle-clutching heap when the ball hit him in the shins?

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sampe said:
But is Doug Harvey a top 5 player of all time? Because Beckenbauer sure was IMO.

No, he wasn't. Good point.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Modano = Dud said:

I can't remember who it was. I'm probably being too hard on Havlat, though. A lot of guys in the league these days could sub for him.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Macman said:
I can't remember who it was. I'm probably being too hard on Havlat, though. A lot of guys in the league these days could sub for him.

Since when does Havlat take dives? He's chippy and borderline dirty, for sure, but that's a completely different story.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Sampe said:

Beckenbauer is likely a top 5 player of all time, (Pele, Maradonna and Cruijff being the undisputed top 3), then you have a couple that can be considered to close out the top 5; Platini, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, etc. I do agree Beckenbaur is top 5, but you can make a case for someone else just as much. He isn't a "definite" top 5 player if you ask me, nevertheless, he was arguably the greatest defenseman ever though.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Macman said:

Did it happen near the cornerflag? He went down faster than a fat chick who sat down to fast. Grabbing his balls while in fact he was hit on the knee. Great acting skills..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad