Gunnarsson-Granberg

Bernier
MacIntyre

Crosby for free - Bettman did it once, why not again
Monahan + Giordano for Phaneuf + Kadri

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
There were reports that a large chunk of teams were calling Nonis about trading for Dion before the extension, and that teams continued to even after the extensions.

GM's see the value in Dion.

can't really say that unless you know what they were offering in return.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Sell low + sell low + pick
for
Sell high + sell high + pick

In two years when Monahan and Giordano fall back to Earth (or in Monahan's case, there is enough data to show his calibre, and it's not as high as it was this season) and Phaneuf and Kadri return to normal production, the trade would look like an absolutely collosal waste of assets...

You have to be kidding... Leafs would make out of this trade like bandits. Calgary would never do it.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
And without a doubt there is a personnel problem. Enough guys in that group have fallen apart too often.

Yet that side doesn't mean there isn't a coaching problem. Carlyle has made boneheaded decisions over the past seasons and this whole year he's been baffled. If he can't figure things out then there's no reason to be keeping him around.

Move some players out, but you also fire him.

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that too many people lay all of the blame at Carlyle's feet.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
There is no single fix for this team -- it's position in the standings are a culmination of things. Poor coaching, lack of size, lack of toughness (both mental and physical), lack of secondary scoring, and poor defensive play.

Fire Carlyle. Bring in some more defensive-minded defensemen and fowards. Switch up a few pieces of the core of the team (Phaneuf, Lupul, Reimer, Franson and potentially Kessel).

Chances are Carlyle is gone and one or two core players get moved.

ForSpareParts*

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on-demand/#rotation=1

It's up now. They discuss the Leafs twice in the show.

Other quotes:

Kyper: "That is not a close knit group that played for each other down the stretch".

Maclean: (re: Dion)" Everyone can throw Dion under the bus because he's the captain, but leadership is a lot more than that. Where are all these other guys? Where's Jeoffrey Lupul? Where was he in all this? We can throw it at Kadri who's a 4th year pro. There's a lot of guys that should be responsible for this. Not just Kessel and JVR".

Kyper: "Lupul is very tradeable"

Doug Maclean: "They've got to mix up the chemistry of the group and then I'll step out and say they need 4 defensemen. They need a different make up on the back end. Morgan Rielly to me is the only untouchable on the back end."

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation

i am curious about lupul, he seems to have an outgoing personality and is very opinionated, do any of you think he may have a negative affect on the dressing room? how come he has bounced around the league?

anyways now that the season is over, i am disappointed in his effort, for the first 60 games of the year it seemed like he was carrying a trailor behind him as he skated, he only started to skate hard in the last few weeks and it was of no help since his timing was off

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just heard Kadri on a radio bite on TSN radio, " we have a lot to play for in personal achievements". Someone get this kid out of town. Can't believe anyone could say this after bowing out of the playoffs.

ForSpareParts*

There is no single fix for this team -- it's position in the standings are a culmination of things. Poor coaching, lack of size, lack of toughness (both mental and physical), lack of secondary scoring, and poor defensive play.

Fire Carlyle. Bring in some more defensive-minded defensemen and fowards. Switch up a few pieces of the core of the team (Phaneuf, Lupul, Reimer, Franson and potentially Kessel).

Chances are Carlyle is gone and one or two core players get moved.

Pretty much this. The leafs are going to look different starting next season. It's going to take a few years, but there's no one or two moves and it's fixed. Key players and minor players will surely be gone.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
Just heard Kadri on a radio bite on TSN radio, " we have a lot to play for in personal achievements". Someone get this kid out of town. Can't believe anyone could say this after bowing out of the playoffs.

i am just going to hope that this was taken out of context

ForSpareParts*

Kyper felt Nonis had to take some of the responsibility: "tried to go after Vanek, but was mostly handcuffed at the deadline". Ultimately the team didn't make the post-season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i am just going to hope that this was taken out of context

There is criticism from Mgt on down indeed.

I place more blame on the players, there is a certain immaturity with this group. From Phaneuf's post game interviews, to Kadri's playing for personal achievements/goals the last 2 games comment. He could have simply said no, I play to win a championship even if he meant he would play for stats the last 2 meaningless games.

This team and it's Frat boy mentality really makes me mad as a Leafs fan. These guys are so far way from Gilmour and Wendel, they couldn't see them with a telescope.

Nazem again with another silly comment, he's on thin ice already, I wonder what Lewicke would say if he heard this?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

he's not necessarily wrong though - i mean every single one of them has to go through exit interviews, even O'Neill said it - once you get eliminated that's all you really have to bank your career on with the organization that you're with: he's going to have to do his exit interview and go I've hit 20/50 XYZ (knowing that all season he's been in the centre of trade rumours etc)

now - does that mean he should have said that publicly? Well, no. he shouldn't haven - and sooner or later he's going to realise that he can be honest without saying every blessed thing that pops into his mouth and without being cliche either.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Because they're cutting it to sound controversial.

Seigel defended him saying that he was directly asked about playing for personal achievement.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
And according to Spotrsnet the Leafs have played 47, 000 games since we won a cup.

Now im no math expert, but doesnt that work out to around a 1000 games a year?

Im going to guess they meant their has been 47000 league games played in that time span.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
he's not necessarily wrong though - i mean every single one of them has to go through exit interviews, even O'Neill said it - once you get eliminated that's all you really have to bank your career on with the organization that you're with: he's going to have to do his exit interview and go I've hit 20/50 XYZ (knowing that all season he's been in the centre of trade rumours etc)

now - does that mean he should have said that publicly? Well, no. he shouldn't haven - and sooner or later he's going to realise that he can be honest without saying every blessed thing that pops into his mouth and without being cliche either.

Wrong answer to give Daisy, you have to look at the way this team has pancaked out of the playoffs, when a reporter asks you is this a chance to is personal goals is something to play for these last 2 games?

You don't say yes, we have a lot to play for in terms of personal achievements.

This team lacks maturity, many players lack intelligence, they take to losing too easily.

You are probably too young to remember them, but if a reporter asked Clark, Roberts, Gilmour, Tucker, Corson, Mccabe this question. They would have looked right through you and say are you serious? We just missed the playoffs, I couldn't care less about personal achievements!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because they're cutting it to sound controversial.

Seigel defended him saying that he was directly asked about playing for personal achievement.

And Hodge said, he could have simply answered no. He was just as surprised as me someone would say personal goals is something to play for, after the collaspe. I can't believe we are going to defend this.

Kessel was a ray of bright light last night, he answered the questions right. He is a guy I can see hope with. The rest, are not there yet.

Anyway, I do think this is a symptomatic problem of this team. Lack of leadership to show Kadri the right way in interviews.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Wrong answer to give Daisy, you have to look at the way this team has pancaked out of the playoffs, when a reporter asks you is this a chance to is personal goals is something to play for these last 2 games?

You don't say yes, we have a lot to play for in terms of personal achievements.

This team lacks maturity, many players lack intelligence, they take to losing too easily.

You are probably too young to remember them, but if a reporter asked Clark, Roberts, Gilmour, Tucker, Corson, Mccabe this question. They would have looked right through you and say are you serious? We just missed the playoffs, I couldn't care less about personal achievements!

That I think, is the saddest part of what's happening to our core. Aside from Kessel who just publicly took the blame and essentially said he was pissed, who else is actually disappointed? Where the hell is Phaneuf? We need someone for the team to rally upon and Dion is not that player.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
And Hodge said, he could have said no. I can't believe people are going to defend this.

Kessel was a ray of bright light last night, he answered the questions right. He is a guy I can see hope with. The rest, are not there yet.

Kessel has also gone through so oh so important developmental years. Remember his "maybe things arent working out here" comments?

Kadri is a kid. He'll learn.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I would not take anything Kadri say that serious. Not only is he still young he is not coming across as the sharpest tool either. And we need those as well. As Sun Tzu said...

"The skillful employer of men will employ the wise man, the brave man, the covetous man, and the stupid man. For the wise man delights in establishing his merit, the brave man likes to show his courage in action, the covetous man is quick at seizing advantages, and the stupid man has no fear of death."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad