Sportsnet: Hockey Central - Much Criticism From GM on down

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Please MLSE, move this team to Seattle with all staff and start a new Frash from square 1 Leafs team. They can afford to carry both franchises. Pleeeease. But trade our new team JVR and Bernier and Rielly

Thabks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There were reports that a large chunk of teams were calling Nonis about trading for Dion before the extension, and that teams continued to even after the extensions.

GM's see the value in Dion.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There were reports that a large chunk of teams were calling Nonis about trading for Dion before the extension, and that teams continued to even after the extensions.

Yes he has value. But think o this, if the ownership group could buy a second franchise we could deplete its talent and send our Clarksons there for the ultimate cap circumvention. 2x the picks every year, would love our nhl farm team.

Dreaming of this. It's probably cheaper overall than the Nonis rebuild is going to be overall as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yes he has value. But think o this, if the ownership group could buy a second franchise we could deplete its talent and send our Clarksons there for the ultimate cap circumvention. 2x the picks every year, would love our nhl farm team.

Dreaming of this. It's probably cheaper overall than the Nonis rebuild is going to be overall as well.

I think there are RESTRICTIONS to owning more than ONE NHL franchise. :help:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

If those reports are true and not a figment of your imagination then they should move him

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Knowing our luck, the other team would do better.

Apr 1, 2010

Teams know that good d-men can become whipping boys in Toronto. Murphy, Schneider, Beauchemin, Kubina, McCabe, no matter how good they played a big portion of the fanbase didn't like them and could be quite vocal about it. It is just Phaneuf's turn now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Teams know that good d-men can become whipping boys in Toronto. Murphy, Schneider, Beauchemin, Kubina, McCabe, no matter how good they played a big portion of the fanbase didn't like them and could be quite vocal about it. It is just Phaneuf's turn now.

It's not his play necessarily that I take issue with - it's him being captain and being the big leader in the room ... Three consecutive epic collapses with him wearing the 'C' - there's something not right with this group and how its led

If the Leafs could keep Phaneuf but find new/improved leaders that would be ideal, but I doubt that Dion can be stripped of the 'C' and have it go over well

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
they are true, lots of team could use a mid-low end #1 Dmen.

Every team can use a num 1 D but how many teams consider DP to be one ?

We love to label players , num 1 D - num 2 D , num 1 b/c forward but it really doesn't mean much . There isn't 30 true num 1 D's regardless of whether they're logging those mins or playing in those situations.

DP is a 2nd pair D due to him not doing anything above avg . He's a high profile player that became grossly over rated and has been living off the rep from his first few years in the league.

My hope is there's a desperate team out there (Edm ?) that'll take him off our hands and offer some decent pieces in return.

Last edited:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

Dion is a top 20 defenceman, of course he has value. I don't think any move is off the table save Kessel, bernier and Rielly. pretty much anything could happen this offseason.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If those reports are true and not a figment of your imagination then they should move him

Why would it be a figment of my imagination?

I believe it was Friedman who mentioned it, and Dreger said it too.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'd be targeting Weber or Subban.

lol, wouldnt hold my breath.

the truth is there is no diplomatic way of taking the captaincy away from phaneuf. trading him is the root of least resistance in that regard. if nonis cant trade him the only thing we can hope for is that a new coach will take it away under the guise that he wants to pick his own captain. the result will likely be we will be without a captain like when sundin retired since there really isnt a suitable replacement here at the moment imo.

im sure phaneuf would have value in a trade even with his contract. its not like clarkson. phaneuf is still a useful player. he just shouldnt be captain or expected to play 25 minutes a night it doesnt mean he isnt a good defenseman though.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's a nice thought to move Phaneuf but Nonis doesn't have the cajones to make a move like that. He's a GM that's afraid to make a bold move. He's afraid to make a bad move then he will be criticized. He would rather do nothing and hope for the best. He hasn't made a single bold move as GM, Clarkson wasn't bold just foolish and a lot of people knew that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's a nice thought to move Phaneuf but Nonis doesn't have the cajones to make a move like that. He's a GM that's afraid to make a bold move. He's afraid to make a bad move then he will be criticized. He would rather do nothing and hope for the best. He hasn't made a single bold move as GM, Clarkson wasn't bold just foolish and a lot of people knew that.

It seems it would be a bold move not to move him.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Kadri + Phaneuf + 10th Overall
for
Giordano + Monahan + 1st(2015)

Burke wants him back! haha

Sell low + sell low + pick
for
Sell high + sell high + pick

In two years when Monahan and Giordano fall back to Earth (or in Monahan's case, there is enough data to show his calibre, and it's not as high as it was this season) and Phaneuf and Kadri return to normal production, the trade would look like an absolutely collosal waste of assets...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad