Sportsnet: (Hockey Central) Marc Savard: "Connor Carrick could go the way of the waivers"

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I remember reading a book around 30-40 years ago. I think it was even before Gretzky. I think Ken Dryden wrote it but I might be wrong. Anyway, the word he used to describe the attribute that all great players have was "anticipation". They could anticipate where the other players would be on the ice depending on what move they made with the puck or when they didn't have the puck.

Anyway it was an awesome read.
You know when you're playing a sport, and everything slows down so you can make a play? I think that happened to Gretzky a LOT, more than any other hockey player.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
With all due respect, I don't care for posts like this.

You can post all you like (including quotes) about how a GM "feels" about a certain player, but the nature of the business goes against these statements. It's great for fans and media, but it's safe.

Carrick was awarded a contract for several reasons:

1. The AHL graduates might not be ready
2. The regular NHL roster players could be injured
3. Players like Ozhiganov might need more time to get used to the NHL game/surface.

He's insurance. If all goes well he will be a healthy scratch. If all goes even better Carrick is put on waivers.

So Dubas might only be "high" on the insurance Carrick brings.

I was basing my opinion purely on some past comments from Dubas about Carrick and his play. Also the 1.3 million extension within the first few weeks of his tenure as GM makes me think he still probably does but you don't have to like it. Its all speculation afterall

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
With all due respect, I don't care for posts like this.

You can post all you like (including quotes) about how a GM "feels" about a certain player, but the nature of the business goes against these statements. It's great for fans and media, but it's safe.

Carrick was awarded a contract for several reasons:

1. The AHL graduates might not be ready
2. The regular NHL roster players could be injured
3. Players like Ozhiganov might need more time to get used to the NHL game/surface.

He's insurance. If all goes well he will be a healthy scratch. If all goes even better Carrick is put on waivers.

So Dubas might only be "high" on the insurance Carrick brings.

With no due respect, I don't care for posts like this.

You just bemoaned how people make assumptions about the decisions GM's make about certain players, and then turned around and immediately contradicted yourself by making a bunch of assumptions about why Carrick was awarded his contract. There's nothing factual here at all. Just more conjecture. I bet you think you've connected all the dots.

I'm surprised you didn't give yourself whiplash.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
With no due respect, I don't care for posts like this.

You just bemoaned how people make assumptions about the decisions GM's make about certain players, and then turned around and immediately contradicted yourself by making a bunch of assumptions about why Carrick was awarded his contract. There's nothing factual here at all. Just more conjecture. I bet you think you've connected all the dots.

I'm surprised you didn't give yourself whiplash.

Butthurt is how you felt after I disputed one of your posts. Forever after you will chase me from thread to thread trying to argue anything.

^There's your facts.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
******** is how you felt after I disputed one of your posts. Forever after you will chase me from thread to thread trying to argue anything.

^There's your facts.

What post did you dispute? My first interaction with you was to tell you you made bad threads and brought toxicity to the overall conversation with your baiting and hot-takery.

I'm not following you from thread to thread... you're everywhere. Kind of hard to avoid. I have better things to do than stalk you.

If anything, your reaction to my post above, which does not address any part of my argument, implies you're suffering from whatever has been asterisked out of your reply. ;)

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Not worried about Hainsey unless babcock insists on playing the hell out of him again

Carrick - I could see him and Holl (waiver eligible) sent down

ya when has Mike Babcock repeated the same playing time related mistake forever and ever?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Carrick reminds me of workers in their 11th hour working a continental shift on an assembly line.
Maybe it's 'poise', but it just looks lack-luster to me. Just once I'd like to scream his name during
a game over-the-top like he just entered the stage of a wrestling event or something.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Let's hope so. I think he'll get the split with Oz though. Holl will be sent down.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov

I agree with this D core. Rosen looked horrible yesterday all but assuring he isn't ready for the NHL and surplanting Dermott. To be honest I have no idea how Dermott's place was ever in jeopardy. The guy is a stud.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Personally I do not know why Babcock hasn't tried this. But I would try a D lineup as follows:

Reilly-Gardiner
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Hainsey

What do you have to lose?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
We need D who can separate break up the cycle of (hate this catch phrase but true in our case) "HEAVY" teams. Boston wore us down and opened up holes because of our failure to break up the down low possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad