Sportsnet: (Hockey Central) Marc Savard: "Connor Carrick could go the way of the waivers"

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by heybuddyhowyadoing, Sep 24, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. heybuddyhowyadoing

heybuddyhowyadoing Registered User

Home Inspector
    Hockey Central @ Noon - Sportsnet.ca

A lot of Leaf content at the beginning of the show. This is only speculation. This is not Marc Savard saying that he is an insider or has sources.

Most impressed with: Borgman and Holl. And not so impressed with Carrick: "Could go the way of the waivers. Which is the way it goes."

He also felt that Hainsey was a step back.

Do you agree? What do you think?

2. SAMCRO44

SAMCRO44 Registered User Sponsor

Not worried about Hainsey unless babcock insists on playing the hell out of him again

Carrick - I could see him and Holl (waiver eligible) sent down

3. 81Leafs50

81Leafs50 Registered User

Carrick has been bad. Hainsey is a step slow, but I think this is intentional on his part. He's not going all out.

Holl has not been that great. Ozhi, Rosen, Dermott, Bergan can fill out the dcore if the Leafs go with 8 to start the season.

Carrick and Sparks and going on waivers.

heybuddyhowyadoing likes this.
  4. Joey Hoser

Joey Hoser Registered User

Carrick hasn't been good, but if you just signed a guy for 1.3, you obviously believe in him enough to give him a chance beyond the first 2 preseason games at least.

Buds17 likes this.
  5. heybuddyhowyadoing

Home Inspector
    Ok. Conversely you could offer Grabovski a long term contract and then buy him out in the offseason.

6. Joey Hoser

Joey Hoser Registered User

Pretty sure that didn't happen in the same summer, plus compliance buyouts made that a fairly unique situation.

Havoc and BillDerlago like this.
  7. AnishLoomba

AnishLoomba Registered User

hopefully someone claims him if he goes on waivers.

8. Maplebeasts

Maplebeasts I See Demons!!!!!

I'd rather trade him, but there's no way he's making this team with how camp has gone. Consistently one of the worst players on the ice.

9. Canada4Gold

Canada4Gold Registered User

Carrick has not been good this preseason which doesn't bode well for him, but I have not been impressed by Holl either. He's pretty much been just as bad.

hotpaws likes this.
  10. ACC1224

ACC1224 Steelers 6-2-1 @ Jacksonville

Agreed, this is obvious.

11. Eb

Eb Registered User

Let's hope so. I think he'll get the split with Oz though. Holl will be sent down.

Rielly - Hainsey
    Gardiner - Zaitsev
    Dermott - Ozhiganov

12. Buds17

Buds17 Registered User

Assuming an entirely healthy group, I think there's one spot in the starting six D for one of Carrick, Holl or Ozhiganov, and probably two of them can make the team. Interestingly, Carrick's the youngest (albeit not by much) and the most NHL experienced. Not a certainty by any means, but I'm not that sure Carrick would clear waivers. Won't be surprised if he has a spot to start, but it might not be the firmest grip.

In the event they aren't here to start the season, I can see any of Borgman, Ozhiganov and Rosen making a push throughout the season (and as needed call-ups). Holl might figure in immediately as spot starter and due to waivers.

13. SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue No Leaf Left Behind

I think Ozhiganov has pretty much stolen the #6 job from Carrick, but who is going to take his job as the #7? All of his competition is either waiver exempt and should be sent down if they do not get a top 6 spot or worse than him except maybe Marincin, but Carrick should still keep his job for now over him.

The only waiver exempt guys who really should still be on the roster no matter what are Ozhiganov and Lindholm, only because they are older guys (and really, they have played well enough anyways).

smitty10 likes this.
  14. heybuddyhowyadoing

Home Inspector
    The point is that it doesn't matter whether a new contract was appointed or not. Coaches and GMs change on players.

15. Guy Boucher

Guy Boucher Registered User

Yup. Hainsey hasn't looked good, neither has Carrick.

Holl, Borgman, Rosen have all looked excellent.

heybuddyhowyadoing likes this.
  16. Morgs

Morgs #16 #29 #34 #44 #91

Let me preface my message by acknowledging just how bad Carrick has been in pre-season this year, but I'm not willing to give up on him yet.

Here is a list of every partner Carrick has played with for more than 50 minutes of 5v5 play the last 3 years combined.

PartnerTOI (5v5)rel.CF%
    Jake Gardiner996 minutes+3.14
    Morgan Rielly244 minutes+3.8
    Andreas Borgman215 minutes-0.08
    Travis Dermott184 minutes+7.46
    Martin Marincin116 minutes-3.63

To me there are three things that stand out:

#1. He's able to handle top-4 minutes very well. When he's played (imo) over his head and played in the higher comp/harder zone start minutes, he's shown the ability to be a great partner for either one of our top-2 defenseman.

#2. Carrick and Marincin DO NOT work together. We saw this in the pre-season this year, and it's been proven in their 116 5v5 minutes together that they should not be a pair.

#3. He and Travis Dermott together is a god-like 3rd pairing. When together, these two guys just dominate shot shares (+14.72 rel.xGF% LOL). If Travis Dermott is on the third pairing next season (he really should be in the Top-4) and they can duplicate what they did last season, we're laughing.

---

"He's terrible defensively and too small to get anything done"

Well Babcock loves to shelter his third pairing anyway, and of all 213 defenseman that played over 500 minutes last season here is where the bottom pair guys (Polak, Dermott, Borgman, and Carrick) rank in ToIQoC (1st would be easiest comp):

Borgman - 3rd
    Carrick - 11th
    Dermott - 12th
    Polak - 20th

These guys get very very easy comp, but to be fair Polak (ugh) did get some really ****ty zone starts in comparison to the other 3.

Over the last 3 years, there have been 9 Leafs defenseman to have played over 1000 minutes. On that list, Carrick has played the 8th easiest comp. During that comp, he's put up the 2nd best rel.CF% and the best rel.xGF% - which shows he's absolutely not a liability out there by any means.

The only defenseman to give up less shot attempts per 60 minutes? Marincin (it's one of the main reason's why I'm a fan of his too).

The only two defenseman to be on the ice for more than his shot attempts for? Rielly and Phaneuf.

--

Here's are the shots allowed when he's on the ice:

[​IMG]

He plays RD, obviously. This show's he's actually very good at suppressing HD chances.

In comparison, here's Morgan Rielly:

[​IMG]

Much harder minutes, much better defenseman, but you can still see how beat up Rielly get's in the slot in comparison to a guy like Carrick.

I know nobody will read this, and I'm sure people are going to be all like "Carrick sux because two preseason games, small, dur dur dur", but we'd be giving up on a guy who's been better than Zaitsev two years running, has more than handled top-4 duties, and has blasted bottom-pair duties with Dermott. If we let him go, I'm confident (if he get's another chance, **** this league man) he'd make us regret it.

17. PuckMagi

PuckMagi Registered User

trade or waive him... I don't think he's good enough to make the team. He's a bottom pairing offensive defender at best... and we have a lot of offensive defenders. I don't think there is much in the way of potential either. Big issue is that he's small... and that's not really going to change.

We might be able to get a late round pick if someone needs a 3rd pairing RHD offensive defender who can play on the PP. But I kind of doubt that we'd get anything for him right now. Oh well... you win some, you lose some. He's not horrible... just not good enough to make our team... and probably wouldn't make most teams in the NHL right now.

18. iSophagus

iSophagus Registered User

*reads thread title*

You can go ahead and change "could" to "should." Carrick is a six piece chicken McNobody.

supermann_98 and MoreMogilny like this.
  19. thewave

thewave Your safe space is 1 click away cowards!

The fact Polak took his job was criminal. The guy isn't terrible at all but hasn't looked good in the pre and so I think it's a combination of Babcock wants a big guy (lol) and he just hasn't done well. He needs a big game, he needs it badly.

Morgs likes this.
  20. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Opinions

Ice Dance
    Carrick is the perfect example of "beware the advanced stats".

21. KPower

KPower Registered User

Carrick is done..Once Babs gives up on you it’s hard to come back from it.

smitty10 and iSophagus like this.
  22. thewave

thewave Your safe space is 1 click away cowards!

Biggest problem he has is he can't make things really happen on the ice. As a partner to a good player he gets by just fine. The other problem is he makes obvious mistakes like Jake with no points to back him up.

He will be a bottom pairing D on a bad team until injury and then may even stick a poor teams #4 for a few years (maybe}. That's pretty good for a hockey player overall in the grand scheme.

DarkKnight likes this.
  23. Tak7

Tak7 Registered User

I find Connor Carrick to be a very likeable guy, who speaks extremely well.

For that reason I often find myself rooting for him to get his break here and make the team.

But he's not had a great camp - him being waived, and hopefully claimed by a team that gives him a chance, is probably best case scenario for one of the better spoken players in the NHL

24. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

I'm pretty convinced that Polak's zone starts are mostly his own fault. I mean sure, Babcock probably preferred him on d zone starts over Carrick, but maybe at a 55/45 split. The rest of that gap comes from Polak icing the puck and having to be on the ice for that d zone faceoff an extra 2 or 3 times instead of clearing the zone and getting an NZ start in a few minutes.

As far as Carrick goes, he's possibly the blandest vanilla defenseman I've seen. I hoped his shot would come through eventually like it did in the AHL but he just doesn't have enough time or space to set it up at this level. I don't mind him beating up on 3rd pairings but he's just very forgettable. I don't think we'll regret losing him at any point. It'll be like Ian White where you just forget he exists until someone makes a main board page about him retiring.

25. Judas Tavares

Judas Tavares S2S (Sundin2Sandin) Sponsor

Carrick has never impressed me. Wouldn't lose sleep if he goes.

smitty10 and dsred like this.