Sportsnet: (Hockey Central) Marc Savard: "Connor Carrick could go the way of the waivers"

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The only question left is who sits in the press box. When Dermott is back, it's going to be Dermott and Ozhiganov on the last pairing. Do you risk losing Holl, Marincin or Carrick on waivers and keep Rosen as the extra? Obviously if Dermott isn't ready for the first game of the season you keep Rosen up based on his play so far. So they might be forced to waive all those guys. Carrick did himself no favours last night and at the end of the preseason, you need to hit the ground running with your best options. He's not one of hem.

Clearly the answer is yes. you don't worry about losing any of those 3 guys on waivers even a little bit.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Polak was the worst defender on the team. being tough didn't help us much.

Carrick is a limited player who I'm not going to cry about losing on waivers, but at least he can skate at an NHL level and his first instinct isn't to fire it blindly off the glass.

It's amazing to me that after all this time people still think the Leafs problem is toughness. The "tough" players we had were part of the problem not the solution.
the issue is the leafs don't have enough useful players with physicality. other than kadri, no one else is willing to be physical. they need more guys who aren't complete liabilities to be physical. lay a hit when things aren't going your way or something like that.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
the issue is the leafs don't have enough useful players with physicality. other than kadri, no one else is willing to be physical. they need more guys who aren't complete liabilities to be physical. lay a hit when things aren't going your way or something like that.

no it isn't the issue. at all.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
not at all. come playoff time, other teams will take liberties on the leafs and the leafs won't respond back. that will effect the leafs game and make them a worse team.
Blackhawks won cups without being physical.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
they had physicality in their lineup. don't kid yourself.
That 2015 playoff team wasn't very tough.

That said, I do agree with you that team toughness is still a good trait for a successful playoff team and Carrick can go.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Carrick is the perfect example of "beware the advanced stats".

All you have to do is look at the coach and see how much confidence he has in certain players.

Then you can watch him play, and then you can see if the stats re-assure you on the player.

Babcock is almost assuredly aware of the advanced stats, but probably understands how useful they are for coaching.

I thought Carrick was one of the better defenders last night against a minor league squad, but he certainly didn't stand out in a positive way.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Biggest problem he has is he can't make things really happen on the ice. As a partner to a good player he gets by just fine. The other problem is he makes obvious mistakes like Jake with no points to back him up.

He will be a bottom pairing D on a bad team until injury and then may even stick a poor teams #4 for a few years (maybe}. That's pretty good for a hockey player overall in the grand scheme.

For a person to get paid over a million dollars to play a game of hockey is extremely successful. Even AHL players are making okay money to play a game.

They are all very successful at their craft.

That just shows how elite true NHL caliber players are.

However, I hope Carrick is not part of the Leafs going forward.

Reactions: dsred

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You don’t have to be physical but you need to be able to take it, to play through the other team being physical.
If you are going to avoid it by staying on the perimeter you won’t win.

Reactions: dsred

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Muscles sore from excessive workouts

I just don't get his thinking. He has always seemed to be in fantastic shape. Why would he not be putting all his off season effort into improving his hockey skills ON THE ICE?!?

Is he just obsessed with his body? It's so odd for a guy who has borderline NHL skill to be so focused on the gym. That is what I expect from already high skill guys who are trying to get stronger and quicker. I.e Marner.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

This kind of post has an agenda attached to it.

I can't believe you would associate the Chicago Blackhawks as a team that had success "without being physical". Are you old enough to remember that Byfuglein played for Chicago?

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

I can't believe you would associate the Chicago Blackhawks as a team that had success "without being physical". Are you old enough to remember that Byfuglein played for Chicago?

Even their star players like Toews/Hossa/Keith/Saad/Seabrook could play a gritty game. Then they had guys like Ladd/Shaw/Bolland who could grind it out. The Hawks weren't laying massive open ice hits or anything but they had the horses to win in hard fought physical games. They had to in the West during their runs.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I’m confused how marincin is still on this team. There is literally no one else including carrick that I wish to vanish from our prospect pool. Carrick is weird as well, he seems extremely intelligent in his interviews, everyone always talks about his athleticism yet he gets out muscled by everyone he goes against and is completely meh on the ice.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

You’re the one here with an agenda.

Buff was on the first cup team only.

That 2015 team wasn’t tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad