Hockey Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
I just opened what will be my final Upper Deck 2018-19 Series 1 box. It was my 5th and the most boxes for one year that I have ever opened. Went overboard the past few days but this was a pre-order that finally arrived after some weekend USPS drama but it was worth the wait. It was the best box I have ever opened and my first experience with a "hot box" Pulled 8 Young Guns! Including Elias Pettersson, Michael Rasmussen Canvas and a Clear Cut Miro Heiskanen.
I had 3 boxes today and my best YG was Travis Dermott

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
A5EE4461-8C4F-409B-AC61-E720B338EB3A.jpeg
I'm wondering what is the best Auston Matthews or Mitch Marner rookie card to get. Was considering getting one for my son's first bday (not like he knows but..). Any insight would be great
I just got this one, but it’s pretty pricey. Especially since in fantastic condition which is rare for cards from UD Black.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Nathan MacKinnon would be very upset with me.

I've been to Timmies 3 times in the last week & forgot to ask for the hockey cards every time.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This one is upper deck Black. A high end set. Only 99 made, most don’t have this good of an auto and aren’t in this good of condition lol. It’s about an $800-$900 card

Damn, im so confused now lol. Which one is this? I was looking at the other two

If you're going to get one rookie, I would not get the Black version. Each set will have their own rookies, and Upper Deck "Black" is simply not as iconic as other rookie sets. I think it will be less likely to hold its value in the future. People are paying big money right now for anything that says Matthews and rookie on it. Over time, a lot of these sets will settle down in price, with only the really iconic sets holding value.

At this price point, you're better off with a rookie card that also includes a patch, like Upper Deck "Premier" or "Ultimate" rookies. You might also be able to get lucky on an auction for a BGS 10 Young guns card.

The Black cards do look cool though. I have the Tkachuk version, which is much cheaper as it's out of /299.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
If you're going to get one rookie, I would not get the Black version. Each set will have their own rookies, and Upper Deck "Black" is simply not as iconic as other rookie sets. I think it will be less likely to hold its value in the future. People are paying big money right now for anything that says Matthews and rookie on it. Over time, a lot of these sets will settle down in price, with only the really iconic sets holding value.

At this price point, you're better off with a rookie card that also includes a patch, like Upper Deck "Premier" or "Ultimate" rookies. You might also be able to get lucky on an auction for a BGS 10 Young guns card.

The Black cards do look cool though. I have the Tkachuk version, which is much cheaper as it's out of /299.

I disagree with this, to a point. Black /99 >>Premier. Also, ultimate does not have a patch. I have that card as well. Any /99 true rookie hard auto is better than premier. Ice as well.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I disagree with this, to a point. Black /99 >>Premier. Also, ultimate does not have a patch. I have that card as well. Any /99 true rookie hard auto is better than premier. Ice as well.
Ice is definitely hot right now. I'd be worried about where it will be in ten years though. No auto. No patch. Not a YG. I actually own the Tkachuk ice premier /99. So hope I'm wrong.

I'd put premier on the level with black. Both sets that are made intermittently and sell based on looks. I'd always go with a patch over a non-patch, all other things being equal.

Ultimate does make a patch auto out of /49.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you look at cards from fifteen years ago there are all sorts of inserts that were valuable but worthless now. If I had to bet on a rookie holding value, I'd go with young guns.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Ice is definitely hot right now. I'd be worried about where it will be in ten years though. No auto. No patch. Not a YG. I actually own the Tkachuk ice premier /99. So hope I'm wrong.

I'd put premier on the level with black. Both sets that are made intermittently and sell based on looks. I'd always go with a patch over a non-patch, all other things being equal.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you look at cards from fifteen years ago there are all sorts of inserts that were valuable but worthless now. If I had to bet on a rookie holding value, I'd go with young guns.

Ok, and the young gun is the one going for roughly $200? Theres another one a poster mentioned that goes for $1200-$1300. 999 made of them

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta

Oh for sure they have the /49 but it’s peanuts compared to the /99 :P.

Ice rookies are a fan favourite. In my opinion they will hold value. I personally find young guns to be massively overproduced

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I never hit big hits like an exclusive Dahlin. My biggest exclusive is a Jon Gibson yg.

I have 4 hobby boxes coming in the mail, plus I pre-ordered 7 tins.

I'll get a couple of epack boxes too.

I also sent 60-70 cards to be Beckett for grading about six months ago... They told me it might be another six months.

The Dahlin YG Exclusives is one of my top 5 most valuable card hits. Last one on auction went for $650. That's about half the price of my 2nd biggest hit and less than half of my biggest hit.

I hit a Matthews FWA redemption and a Matthews SOTT inscribed auto. I sold the FWA for $1200 and was offered $1500 for my Matthews SOTT inscribed. But, I turned that down cause my card is in such good condition that I'm sure I'll get a 9.5 or 10 grading for it.

I was lucky that my last BGS grading only took 4 months. They are so backlogged (cause no one trusts any other grading company for modern cards) that the card collectors in my city (Vancouver) stopped doing group submissions.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Oh I didn't know that, I assume that would be through Canada Post? So if something happened to them how would I prove what I had or what condition it was in, take pictures beforehand?

Canada Post doesn't insure any package for over a $1,000. I once sent a package worth $2400, but they said they could only insure up to $1,000. You're better off to ship your cards through Fedex as they have a much higher limit when it comes to insurance. My friend shipped a $30,000 card (McDavid Cup Shield card) through Fedex and everything was fine.

Reactions: blankall

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Nathan MacKinnon would be very upset with me.

I've been to Timmies 3 times in the last week & forgot to ask for the hockey cards every time.

I'd think the cards are sold out by now. Wish they were sold in the States too. Asked at Detroit and St. Louis locations in the past and only receive blank stares.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Dahlin YG Exclusives is one of my top 5 most valuable card hits. Last one on auction went for $650. That's about half the price of my 2nd biggest hit and less than half of my biggest hit.

I hit a Matthews FWA redemption and a Matthews SOTT inscribed auto. I sold the FWA for $1200 and was offered $1500 for my Matthews SOTT inscribed. But, I turned that down cause my card is in such good condition that I'm sure I'll get a 9.5 or 10 grading for it.

I was lucky that my last BGS grading only took 4 months. They are so backlogged (cause no one trusts any other grading company for modern cards) that the card collectors in my city (Vancouver) stopped doing group submissions.
I'm in Vancouver too.

My most valuable pack pulled card is probably my Tavares yg bgs 10. Since the trade, they keep climbing in value. Not sure if that counts as a lot of the value is coming from the grading.

PSA is really catching on for grading modern hockey. SGC is popular in other sports. They are a good companyc but their hockey has less value. BGS slabs are so much better than other slabs too.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Canada Post doesn't insure any package for over a $1,000. I once sent a package worth $2400, but they said they could only insure up to $1,000. You're better off to ship your cards through Fedex as they have a much higher limit when it comes to insurance. My friend shipped a $30,000 card (McDavid Cup Shield card) through Fedex and everything was fine.
No way is that a 30k card.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Oh for sure they have the /49 but it’s peanuts compared to the /99 :P.

Ice rookies are a fan favourite. In my opinion they will hold value. I personally find young guns to be massively overproduced
YG are definitely produced in high numbers, but that's part of their appeal. They are accessible, which makes them more collectible by the masses. S1/S2 is also the most likely set to continue production into the future. It's considered the true core set in hockey right now, the same way opc was in the past. If you want exclusivity, you can always target the exclusive or high gloss parallels.

Ice is popular now, but will anyone care about the set in twenty years? Premieres could just end up in the pile of gimmicky cards. What happens to value if the line is discontinued? This, of course, is all speculation, so I could end up being totally wrong.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
looks like there's a million of those upper deck series 1 young gun matthews cards. I can't understand how they're going for so much

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
YG are definitely produced in high numbers, but that's part of their appeal. They are accessible, which makes them more collectible by the masses. S1/S2 is also the most likely set to continue production into the future. It's considered the true core set in hockey right now, the same way opc was in the past. If you want exclusivity, you can always target the exclusive or high gloss parallels.

Ice is popular now, but will anyone care about the set in twenty years? Premieres could just end up in the pile of gimmicky cards. What happens to value if the line is discontinued? This, of course, is all speculation, so I could end up being totally wrong.

Personally, I'd stick with Future Watch Autos, YG exclusive or high gloss, and The Cup. Everything can change, but if I was hoping a card will stay relevantt and maintaim it's value, those are what I'd choose. Obviously, The Cup is going to be cost prohibitive for most people if it's a high end player.

I think part of why Ice might be popular right now is because people who were kids on the late 90s/early 00s are now of age to collect higher end cards, and if I recall Ice was introduced around then. I know that I didn't collect for over a decade, and I still remember ice from when I was a kid.

I like Premier RPAs because they are a lot cheaper than The Cup. I also find them to be nicer looking. I know there are players cards that I would have not paid for The Cup version of that I was able to find for much cheaper in Premier. Although, I haven't explored high end players like Matthews, so I don't know how great the price difference would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad