Ho-Sang more "electrifying player" than McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This is Prucha-Crosby all over again. McDavid dominated Ho Sang in the OHL. McDavid posted one of the greater all time point per game paces by a rookie in the NHL. Ho Sang couldn't even make the NHL in his draft year. He's an afterthought, at best, and has no relation to McDavid other than some article you dug up when these players were just starting high school. Yet you have started a thread comparing the two under a guise of calling Ho Sang's play "electrical" in the OHL. If you really wanted to talk about Ho Sang and his electrical play, you wouldn't have brought up McDavid, and you would have posted this in a forum related to the OHL. For you to be calling someone else's argument absurd is both absurd and hypocritical. This is the definition of a troll thread.

The premise behind this post was that sports writers from professional publications including the Toronto Sun stated that the only difference between HoSang and McDavid was that Hosang was the more "electric player" and the one you couldn't keep your eye off. Again, please read carefully before you post.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
The premise behind this post was that sports writers from professional publications including the Toronto Sun was that the only difference between HoSang and McDavid was that Hosang was the more "electric player" and the one you couldn't keep your eye off. Again, please read carefully before you post.

Give it a break. You are specifically comparing the two and using an article from 5 years ago as your platform, which is outlandish. Then you're baselessly arguing against those who use facts to create an objective opinion. Your whole premise is that it doesn't matter that McDavid has outperformed NHLers at the NHL level, or that there is no comparison between McDavid and Ho Sang in terms of OHL careers, because some doofus in the media used the word electrifying once to describe Ho Sang in ancient history.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Give it a break. You are specifically comparing the two and using an article from 5 years ago as your platform, which is outlandish. Then you're baselessly arguing against those who use facts to create an objective opinion. Your whole premise is that it doesn't matter that McDavid has outperformed NHLers at the NHL level, or that there is no comparison between McDavid and Ho Sang in terms of OHL careers, because some doofus in the media used the word electrifying once to describe Ho Sang in ancient history.

You know all you had to do was answer the OP and everything would be fine. If you had no experience watching them play in 2011- really there was no reason to respond at all to this thread at all but you went on this completely different tangent. There's no reason to do this. Read my OP again, and ask yourself- "What the heck was wrong with it?"

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
You know all you had to do was answer the OP and everything would be fine. If you had no experience watching them play in 2011- really there was no reason to respond at all to this thread at all but you went on this completely different tangent. There's no reason to do this. Read my OP again, and ask yourself- "What the heck was wrong with it?"

It's not about the OP anymore, it's that you've claimed in this thread that Ho-Sang is better than McDavid right now.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Very reminiscent of the way Yakupov played in Junior. Which, to sum up, was: "I can do some nice looking things against teenagers but unfortunately for my career this **** doesn't work against the best in the world"

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Let me get this straight. McDavid has played exactly 287 games in the OHL and midget combined. HoSang played 286 games in the OHL and midget combined. In fact they played on the same team in their juniors. You (and others) find it ridiculous that these two "are being mentioned in the same sentence" because they apparently have so little in common.

YET

You (and others) have no problem after only 45 games in the NHL proclaiming McDavid to be already one of the best in the world ie. on the same mantle as the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos, Kanes etc. of the game. Heck. you guys are already saying that he's better than the HHOF players who have already completed their careers.

That is TOTALLY absurd and hypocritical wouldn't you say?

Wouldn't anyone say it is more reasonable to compare them based on a combined 573 games in the same leagues rather than based on 46 games that only one of them has already had the opportunity to play in?

No, I wouldn't say its hypocritical at all, because you seem to be neglecting the fact that McDavid developed into one of the best players in the world during the last few years of junior and his 1st in the NHL, and Ho Sang has developed into a good, skilled prospect who has only played against kids despite being a year older.

McDavid being one of the best in the world is evident with the way he plays the game against men. Not boys. The only thing that could hold him back is injuries. Ho Sang is likely at least another year (probably more) from being good enough to earn the chance to play in the NHL.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I am pretty sure I have never said that.

Sorry to burst your bubble bud, but that lack of a shot IMHO is what is going to keep him out of the discussion as one of the GOAT. If you don't have it by age 19, I doubt you're going to develop at a later age. Never seen it happen my friend. HoSang's wrister blows away McDavid's in all ways possible, but he can dangle and skate just as well as the so called McJesus.

Around the 4:00 mark in the above video do we start seeing the wrist shots and slappers that McDavid is not able to do to save his life. Other than that, they pretty much do the same thing with the puck and at the same speed. Though, honestly I think HoSang does things at slightly faster pace than McDavid.

4char

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Very reminiscent of the way Yakupov played in Junior. Which, to sum up, was: "I can do some nice looking things against teenagers but unfortunately for my career this **** doesn't work against the best in the world"

I sure hope not. :)

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
As sacrilegious as this may sound for some, for those who had watched these guys play on the same team in 2011 would you have agreed with this sentiment- that the only difference between Ho-Sang and McDavid was that Josh was more exciting to watch?

:laugh:

"No one can deny the raw talent. As Steve Simmons mentions in that same Toronto Sun article, when you watched the 2011-12 Toronto Marlboros it almost seemed like there was a competition between Ho-Sang and McDavid for which one would make more jaw-dropping plays in the game.

You should have stopped reading when you saw 'Steve Simmons' as the guy is an idiot. Your average Labrador Retriever is more knowledgeable about hockey than Simmons is, and can probably write better too.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

What the heck was wrong with it? Well let's start with the fact that you took something written by Steve Freaking Simmons and tried to give it weight.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
You haven't. But its ridiculous and borderline offensive to even compare the two today.

Well, if you find it ridiculous and borderline offensive to compare these two today, how do you think some posters may feel about you comparing McDavid to the "best in the world" today, ie. Crosby, Ovechkin, Bure, Gretzky etc... after only 45 NHL games. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
What the heck was wrong with it? Well let's start with the fact that you took something written by Steve Freaking Simmons and tried to give it weight.

Well ok, this was probably what people should have been debating in the first place. I don't know anything about this guy.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Ho-sang is the type of player you love to watch play beer-league or drop in games. He most definitely makes great plays. His game has no structure for modern systems hockey, and honestly, he's a 3rd line player in the NHL at best. Though, I think he could easily make great plays at the NHL level, I just don't think he would be that consistent.

reminds me of Robbie Schremp and Nail Yakupov.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
You might not have said it but I felt like you were implying it.

If you read several of my earlier posts you would see that I already said this is not the case. Unfortunately if you post anything that can remotely be considered under the realm of possibly soiling his other-worldly image, it is taken as an attack on him. I clarified my post several times earlier on, but as another person commented, people have to learn how to read.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Great post. I also see McDavid as on of the top 10-15 players in the world. The talent level is clearly there. The fact that there is another player yet to enter the NHL who may have even greater raw talent is intriguing.

As for his potential for success in the NHL, like I said before, I would be happy if he had a career and success similar to Matt Duchene which is a more realistic outlook for the kid. But you never know, if he lives up to his full potential there may be no ceiling to his success.

A top3 pick, a player selected to play world cup for Canada is NOT a realistic outlook for JHS. Its a less unrealistic outlook than McDavid but still is miles away.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
A top3 pick, a player selected to play world cup for Canada is NOT a realistic outlook for JHS. Its a less unrealistic outlook than McDavid but still is miles away.

The real X factor in all of this is projecting what John Tavares can do to develop a prospect with this much talent. Under his wing, this kid may become a phenom.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The premise behind this post was that sports writers from professional publications including the Toronto Sun stated that the only difference between HoSang and McDavid was that Hosang was the more "electric player" and the one you couldn't keep your eye off. Again, please read carefully before you post.

Five years ago. Who cares?

Pointless thread has no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad