HNIC... Is it time to for it to die?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hnic was more special when I was kid. I'm one of those out market habs fans, so Saturday night was the one time of the week I was guaranteed to see the habs on national television.

These days, I can access pretty much any game I want, so it takes alot of luster off of hnic.

As for the tradition of it, I'm not sure how much that plays a role anymore. The CBC production had sort of a special feeling, but even they lost it a bit when they changed the intro. The sportsnet production has only increased the ubiquitous feeling of it.

The one constant is that Saturday night is hockey night, and there will be a double header of national games. It's been that way every Saturday night for over 25 years, but it definitely doesn't feel the same.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
LOL the Habs would be a better choice for that. But if it guarantees the Habs will always play in prime time at 7pm, I would have no problem with it though.

I thought about the Habs, but the Habs are a better draw across the entirety of the NHL outside of Canada and therefore are better suited to anchor later games for prime viewing hours, such as your 7pm games.. Giving the Leafs the early game gives them their time in the sun and, later, gives many of the rest of the Canadian teams their game time hours after Toronto plays and hopefully, sometime after the majority of the Leaf-centric media burns itself out for the day.

Last edited:

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I feel like the panel doesn't have too much going for it. They each pick a segment to talk about and then hand it off to the next person to talk about something else like its a class presentation. There is not discussion, debate, or conversation amongst themselves on the game.
Agreed and I also miss stuff like satellite hot stove with John Davidson, etc

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
I thought about the Habs, but the Habs are a better draw across the entirety of the NHL outside of Canada and therefore are better suited to anchor later games for prime viewing hours, such as your 7pm games.. Giving the Leafs the early game gives them their time in the sun and, later, gives many of the rest of the Canadian teams their game time hours after Toronto plays and hopefully, sometime after the majority of the Leaf-centric media burns itself for the day.
Indeed, you're right.

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Juice is CARRYING this program right now.

Friedman is decent, but never wants to claim an opinion
Stewart is meh
Hrudey is meh

My problem with Friedman is that he needs to stick to the business of hockey, contracts, trade rumours and such, he should never comment on the actual nuts and bolts of the game or the skills of the players playing it, he isn't qualified to do that

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I thought about the Habs, but the Habs are a better draw across the entirety of the NHL outside of Canada and therefore are better suited to anchor later games for prime viewing hours, such as your 7pm games.. Giving the Leafs the early game gives them their time in the sun and, later, gives many of the rest of the Canadian teams their game time hours after Toronto plays and hopefully, sometime after the majority of the Leaf-centric media burns itself for the day.

Even if that's true, the audience grab outside of Canada is probably negligible.

The thing with montreal is that while it typically draws big numbers, their audience gets split between the English, and French broadcasts.

Whereas with Toronto, their whole fanbase will watch in English, so they should dwarf the habs in English ratings, theoretically.

It was cool for me as a kid when both cbc and French cbc would show games nationally on saturday nights.

You occasionally had the habs on the English side, but you almost always had them on the french channel (there was the odd game or two where the nordiques would be televised instead).

As a habs fan living in Western canada, I was pretty much guaranteed to see the habs one way or the other once a week nationally. That probably doesn't seem special these days, but games weren't as accessible back in the 90s as they are now.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Even if that's true, the audience grab outside of Canada is probably negligible.

The thing with montreal is that while it typically draws big numbers, their audience gets split between the English, and French broadcasts.

Whereas with Toronto, their whole fanbase will watch in English, so they should dwarf the habs in English ratings, theoretically.

It was cool for me as a kid when both cbc and French cbc would show games nationally on saturday nights.

You occasionally had the habs on the English side, but you almost always had them on the french channel (there was the odd game or two where the nordiques would be televised instead).

As a habs fan living in Western canada, I was pretty much guaranteed to see the habs one way or the other once a week nationally. That probably doesn't seem special these days, but games weren't as accessible back in the 90s as they are now.

Agreed.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006

In addition to my previous agreement...I'd add that I think that it might surprise you the numbers of those in the US who appreciate HNIC...at least the HNIC broadcasts which do not openly pander to blatant team homerism. I've lived in several US states that are contiguous to the Canadian/US line. HNIC plays in many bars along the border.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

I remember when having 2 games meant one in French and one in English. Seems a long time ago.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wanting to enjoy a hockey game without an inundation of pseudo-cultural/virtue is a far cry from needing a safe space. Two and a half hours of cease and desist from the wailing, posing, and gnashing of teeth that so many folks seem to be addicted to seems a small thing to ask. Not all of us rely on the media to inform us what is important in life, least of all amidst a hockey game. Call me old fashioned but I watch hockey to see and hear about.....wait for it....hockey.

HNIC in its glory did a fantastic job of providing that pure hockey experience. The product has sadly devolved into a cotton candy version of its former self. If I wanted to watch a bunch of people sit around and regurgitate buzzwords and virtuos catch phrases I'd watch CPAC.

It is what it is. I get it. Media outlets are running scared. We are blessed with numerous alternatives to traditional media, and they know it.

It's like a restaurant that knows it's about to go under, so in a last ditch effort to stay afloat they sell nothing but cotton candy. Which would be funny if it weren't for the fact that we now have a subsection of society addicted to that sugar rush.

Then... watch the game and don't tune into the intermission? Go for a walk between periods, grab a drink, whatever. Advertisers clearly have data that shows that making the sport seem more inclusive to those who are not already a part of the culture will pay off long term in terms of expanding the potential audience. For every person like you that they lose, they are gaining two or three others from those buzzwords. Sounds like a pretty good trade off!

If that restaurant wants to sell cotton candy and it works... good for them.

The people demanding that HNIC stay exactly the way that they used to like it, or whining that it's changing are as much looking for a safe space as a person hypothetically throwing a fit that their favorite restaurant now serves something they don't like. Saw a great example a couple posts after yours ;)

I used to feel the same way about liver and onions until I turned 8 and realized that my thoughts and preferences didn't dictate those of others. ;) It gets easier with time.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well there was a large period of time post lockout where they didn't talk nearly as much about Toronto, mainly. due to them being a bad team.

Toronto is the biggest media market and its team has the biggest fanbase. Thats why they spend so much time on the Leafs.

HNIC died in 2014 when CBC whored the brand out to Rogers. It lost its soul after that. 2014-16 HNIC was an absolute train wreck and the years since haven't been much better.

The Strombo years were horrible. Still would like to know which genius thought that was a good idea.

Also in CBC's case, it was either that or it would die. Once they lost the TV rights they had 2 choices.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember when having 2 games meant one in French and one in English. Seems a long time ago.

Yeah, it ended sometime in around 2006, I think.

It wasn't too different than what we are seeing on English cbc now.

RDS basically got the rights to every single habs game nationally in French, and simulcasted their games on French cbc on Saturday nights, but that agreement was short lived.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
I haven't cared for HNIC since it went 'woke' and became more about social justice issues than hockey. Now I keep the channel muted until play resumes.

When they got rid of Don Cherry, I knew it was only a matter of time before the SJW nonsense leaked into hockey.

Thus HNIC is gradually moving toward irrelevancy in my view.

Last edited:

NDetroitFan

Jan 9, 2017
Macomb, MI
In addition to my previous agreement...I'd add that I think that it might surprise you the numbers of those in the US who appreciate HNIC...at least the HNIC broadcasts which do not openly pander to blatant team homerism. I've lived in several US states that are contiguous to the Canadian/US line. HNIC plays in many bars along the border.
I second this comment completely, living in Detroit, I’ll always chose a Canadian broadcast over the crap NBC serves up. Doc was always good but Pierre makes NBC unwatchable too often.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
My problem with Friedman is that he needs to stick to the business of hockey, contracts, trade rumours and such, he should never comment on the actual nuts and bolts of the game or the skills of the players playing it, he isn't qualified to do that

I think that maybe watching thousands of games would qualify him just fine.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Leafs night in Canada featuring the other Canadian teams.
I get it, ratings and numbers and all that, but its still annoying being a fan of a non Toronto team. SN has a hard on for anything Leafs and 30% of coverage is divided by 6 of the other Canadian teams.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I liked it when they had a decent “after 40 minutes” round table discussion. There were often real scoops brought up and to me it was must watch tv.

Was that "Satellite Hotstove"? Yeah I really enjoyed that part, with real insiders and scoops. Al Strachan did have contacts but yes, he made up some stuff as well.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I second this comment completely, living in Detroit, I’ll always chose a Canadian broadcast over the crap NBC serves up. Doc was always good but Pierre makes NBC unwatchable too often.

Exactly.

It's sort of like poutine. Lots of places in the US will serve up frozen, crinkle-cut french fries with gravy and shredded mozzarella cheese on top and call that poutine.

While it's not completely horrible, it doesn't hold a candle to real fries, gravy and squeaky cheese curds from the birthplace of poutine.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ron Maclean is insufferable. The guy is always trying to be so profound with his quotes and poetry . Can’t stand him and they should have kept strombo

George "hey guys, I'm still cool. Look how tight my pants are and how short my blazer is! I have a trendy hair cut, I totally don't dye it . . . you can barely notice i'm pushing 50 cause I'm so hip and cool. Also what is icing again?" Strombolopulus?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad