HNIC... Is it time to for it to die?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They need to modernize it further and get rid of the dead weight...it's pretty sub-par right now.

Get someone personalities like Paul Bisonette and a guy like Bob MacKenzie.

Biznasty+Bobfather

=

267x367

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I agree, that was the beginning of the end. I watch old playoff games from CBC, from the music, presentation, quality of hosts, and the game announcers, it was just in another level. It will never be like that again unfortunately.

Truth be told, HNIC started a slow death around 1995...

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
The public broadcaster's news and politics division acting as a PR agent for favored political ideologies and political parties is a completely different animal than 'reporting the facts and not pretending both sides are equal ~ biased reporting'.

You completely ignored the second half of my post... is it because it dissects your point completely? :eyeroll:

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
For two decades HNIC hosts have been the biggest navel-gazers in the history of broadcasting, feasting on their own egos. I don't care, I watch the play if it's a good game, flip to something else for all commercials, and without Coaches Corner never watch the intermission or post game.

Reactions: wacko2

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Politics? What politics? Talking about kids playing hockey, veterans, and segments about player’s childhood is political now?

more maybe every segment should be about the perfectly average Canadian family, I’m sure that’d be interesting....

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
HNIC means people can watch hockey for free at least twice a week. I wish CBC still had the rights, but I’m happy the games still air.

Not everyone who loves hockey can afford TSN and Sportsnet. Who cares about the announcers, or the commentary what matters is the games being available.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think so.

It's had a good run and there's a definite nostalgia to it, but it has pretty much reached its limit, IMO. It pretends to be a national event when it really just gloms onto the Ontario market as its focus. Everything else is an afterthought.

I'm a proud Canadian, but I wouldn't shed a tear if HNIC was cancelled. I'm perfectly content with regional coverage of my favourite team.
Most Ontarians probably do think of it as local coverage, since they're apparently the only province in Canada.:sarcasm:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Politics? What politics? Talking about kids playing hockey, veterans, and segments about player’s childhood is political now?

more maybe every segment should be about the perfectly average Canadian family, I’m sure that’d be interesting....

It's probably not a coincidence that this thread arrived after HNIC ran segments on success stories in improving inclusion in hockey for new Canadians and celebrating POCs acheivements in the sport.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Doesn't feel as nostalgic as it once did. Obviously, they don't have the anthem and guys like Cherry and Bob Cole are gone, but I feel it has more to do with the age we live in now with access to so much digital streaming and options which makes HNIC kind of lose that special place every Saturday it once had.. it really feels like any other Sportsnet broadcast now.

I think the Allstar game should die to cause this new iteration of it they're doing is also garabage. Go back to East vs West! Or NA vs World again and go back to the old skills competition.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
It died when they fired Al Strachan he would always hzz as be a different point of view as no wasn’t afraid to argue.
Strachan was a complete idiot. He would make up fake rumours with no basis and act like he was an 'insider'. Glad he got canned.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It's probably not a coincidence that this thread arrived after HNIC ran segments on success stories in improving inclusion in hockey for new Canadians and celebrating POCs acheivements in the sport.

I think those segments are a vast improvement on Coach's Corner.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m with Juice, I had no idea what Elliot was trying to describe with the hockey cards.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Honestly, I don’t care about most sports programs. Pre-game, intermission, post game, none of it matters to me.

I honestly think you can similar analysis here on HFBoards to that of pre-game/intermission. There’s nothing of value that’s said. “Keys to the game: score first” is such a useless point lmao no team is gonna want to concede the first goal
The NHL streams that just have “commercial break” on the screen have been such a godsend for me.
Maybe you just lack the hockey knowledge to appreciate true insight.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
You completely ignored the second half of my post... is it because it dissects your point completely? :eyeroll:

That part of your post referred to a single news story... which CBC did not break themselves... talking about a personal disagreement/fight within one political party. I imagine virtually all Canadian news outlets covered the Justice Minister vs. Prime Minister tussle... regardless of the merits of their disagreements it was vastly more newsworthy than anything else happening at that moment in Canadian politics. In the overall context... not very meaningful or indicative.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Hnic used to be great when access to watching games on TV were limited. I dont see much different in watching hnic than a game on a Tuesday night. And sportsnet is absolutely brutal. It seems less about the nhl and more about force feeding social justice messages. I want to sit down and watch a sport I love and take a break from the real world.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
They should bring back Don Cherry.

I’d prefer Danny Gallivan & Dick Irwin Jr (and watch the old Canadians, Islanders and Oilers too) but that’s not happening.

Broadcast team quality has been diluted over the years with multiple teams to broadcast and weak selections by management.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
After growing up with it most of my life..HNIC in Canada on Saturday was a baked in event in Canadian culture..From its iconic theme, to what are Cherrys thoughts on matter..?.. (not disagreeing that it was time for him to retire)..Even the players got pumped to play on HNIC.

Watching it last night reaffirmed that HNIC is redundant..Maybe because there's a pandemic, and no fans..It just has the feel of a midweek , no name telecast..The vibe and the lustre have been sucked right out it.

The only thing worth watching is Bieksa.

Last edited:
Reactions: razorsedge

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wish America had a Hockey Night in Canada type show. I can understand why they don't because NBC plays Nortre Dame Football (And their HNIC show seems to be on Sundays) but there really isn't a X night is Hockey Night here like there is in Canada. I wonder if shutting down NBCSN if they could have Peacock exclusive games, and for the non-commercial subscribers, maybe they just show the arena or have in between entertainment.

In terms of Hockey Night in Canada, when I first got NHL Network like a decade ago, they would show the whole thing and it was fun, but I have always felt it was too leafs centric. You have the entire country watching your program yet you are only highlighting 2 teams in the first window and then you do a better job in the late window. Granted, Ottawa is not good now but weren't they good like 5 years ago? They always seemed to be regulated to the third priority group, while the Leafs was always the "big game".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad