U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Slovakia 1:2 Finland

Finally Slovakia decided to try their third goalie Haronik after Rafajs poor performance against Switzerland (45% SP) and Canada (60% SP) yes you heard it right they decided to play Rafaj against Canada after he had 45% SP against Switzerland from 11 shots.

In the match Haronik showed that he can catch pucks and that I think gave the kids in front of him finally some hope and motivation. The Slovaks dominated Finland in the first and second period and essentially played PP against them.

Third period the Fins were a better and more active team and somehow scored in the last 3 seconds without a goalie.

If only the Slovaks could score during Power Plays.. I honestly think they could beat most of the teams.

I really liked the 2007 trio of players after the group stage:

- Chovan a great 2-way player that unfortunately gets his shot blocked every time. He needs to work on that.

- Tomik has the sniper instincts to score goals I think he could have had 4 goals at this point if he was more lucky. He is also a great in defense for a 15 years old kid.

- Radivojevic needs no introduction at this point, I liked that against Finalnd he simplified his playstyle and finally started shooting more on the net.

2006 Group:

- Semancik glad he got the opportunity to play more after Kiss got injured. I really liked his performance even though he made some bad plays in the defense when he was under pressure.

- Pobezal best player on the team

PS: On the Slovak internet sites I read a lot that this team was made out of players that have parents with some connections like retired pro-hockey players etc.. Not sure if its true though I don't follow the scene that much.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
WTF Sweden... Finland always beat you these days in tournaments. In tha old days i was happy when Sweden at least was better then Finland, nowdays we always need to reach a medal of some sort to be better then Finland. And we almost never do.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Oh i forgot, where are my mannor, congrats Czechs!!:)

Feels strange loosing while winning, but maby we should not let in som many goals next time... i hope they learned something.

Reactions: Czechboy

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm going to tune in for the semis vs Finland. Not familiar with the team, I guess we have a decent shot though?

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh i forgot, where are my mannor, congrats Czechs!!:)

Feels strange loosing while winning, but maby we should not let in som many goals next time... i hope they learned something.
I thought a Sweden Canada final and you guys were the better team yesterday. I didn't watch the US game but was surprised by the score.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm going to tune in for the semis vs Finland. Not familiar with the team, I guess we have a decent shot though?
Finn's are the favs 100 percent. But we have been playing very nice hockey and are injury free. I like the roster. Beating the Finn's would be an upset but not a huge one.

55-45

Note: Finn's are missing several stars from their roster.. we are not.

Reactions: Swipes

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Finn's are the favs 100 percent. But we have been playing very nice hockey and are injury free. I like the roster. Beating the Finn's would be an upset but not a huge one.

55-45

Note: Finn's are missing several stars from their roster.. we are not.

I like our chances!

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Czech are favorites in my books. Helenius will be missed a whole lot because of a pretty thin roster. I mean Finland lost against the Swiss and barely won against Slovakia, a team that didn't manage to take one point in three games.
And without Kiviharju this team consists pretty much of nothing. Suoniemi and perhaps Hemming are decent or even good. But they are or haven't even been close to Helenius nor Kiviharju before.
At the end of the day, you have 2 players who could be drafted between the second and fourth round and those are your best prospects in this roster.

Jiricek, Svozil (has not played), Benak are probably better than all our players. Then you have Kubiesa with good numbers in this tournament and let's not forget Titlbach. Who knows if Jecho has some more in him. The Czech goalies are probably just as good or even better.
No, no, easy win for Czechia.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Czech are favorites in my books. Helenius will be missed a whole lot because of a pretty thin roster. I mean Finland lost against the Swiss and barely won against Slovakia, a team that didn't manage to take one point in three games.
And without Kiviharju this team consists pretty much of nothing. Suoniemi and perhaps Hemming are decent or even good. But they are or haven't even been close to Helenius nor Kiviharju before.
At the end of the day, you have 2 players who could be drafted between the second and fourth round and those are your best prospects in this roster.

Jiricek, Svozil (has not played), Benak are probably better than all our players. Then you have Kubiesa with good numbers in this tournament and let's not forget Titlbach. Who knows if Jecho has some more in him. The Czech goalies are probably just as good or even better.
No, no, easy win for Czechia.
Far too optimistic for the Czech Republic. After the match with the Swedes, I would say that it is 50/50 and I may have added some percentage to the Czechs. Although this tournament cannot be predicted at all, anything can happen...

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
This swedish team will need help from the 07’s at the wjc u18 in Finland next year. If We goes by the same squad i think we will finish dead last.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Swedes are looking weak vs Switzerland. I mean sure its a meaningless game in theory but the whole tournament is mostly a scouting event anyway.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Would be fun if Sahlin Wallenius, which right now looks to become the case, is the first Swede off the board come the draft. Two years in a row with a Leo as the first Swede off the board.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Slovakia lost 4-6 to Germany despite outshooting them 41-17. Similar game to the one against Switzerland.

Radivojevic with 4 primary assists.

If we don't find a goalie then relegation is going to be a serious possibility at the U18 WC.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Slovakia lost 4-6 to Germany despite outshooting them 41-17. Similar game to the one against Switzerland.

If we don't find a goalie then relegation is going to be a serious possibility at the U18 WC.
Same story in U17

I tuned to watch U17 play in Chomutov against USA and Slovakia was losing 3:0 to USA after 3 shots 2 minutes into the game..

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Same story in U17

I tuned to watch U17 play in Chomutov against USA and Slovakia was losing 3:0 to USA after 3 shots 2 minutes into the game..
Different story. It wasnt a bad game. 3-5 loss. And that team was without few 07 born players.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I don't know what this 'hockey' is you people are talking about. Canada's Sports Leader is showing at 1 pm EST highlights of a women's world cup game that happened yesterday several days ago on their main network and on TSN 2, they're showing something called Cueball, which is following the big Omegaball Invitational that is showing on that network now. Kars for Kids must not pay very well because a Canada-US game of haw-kee or however you spell it, is buried way down on TSN4.

Yes, I'm hiding my bitterness very well.

Last edited:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Different story. It wasnt a bad game. 3-5 loss. And that team was without few 07 born players.
Yes I am aware that more than 5-8 core players were missing from the roster but it doesn't matter you shouldn't be losing 0:3 - 2 minutes into the game

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Slovak goalies are usually solid to great? What's happening?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad