Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
How do you think about Finland´s chances of winning? We haven´t won this junior tournament yet. If I understood correcty, Canada gets usually better roster for this tournament than U18, right?
I am happy that Sweden won this tournament like 9 years ago.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Does Finland finally have chances to succeed in this tournament.
Last years Hlinka tournament was terrible to Finland so it would be time to have some real success in this tourney also.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Raymond and holtz should focus on u20 for now. It feels more important to move on from u18, just like kakko did.

There are two more U20 4-nation tournaments before the WJC. No need for them to miss the Hlinka tournament for a summer camp.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’ve been trying to figure out what the US team might look like... it’s real thin, do you think this would be a realistic projection for them?

Antonio Stranges- Zakary Karpa- Blake Biondi
Cross Hanas- Alex Gaffney- Carter Mazur
Carson Bantle- Avery Hayes- Ben Schoen
Tanner Dickinson- Wyatt Schingoethe- Kienan Draper
Jack Williams

Avery Winslow- Gerard Keane
Frank Jenkins- Victor Mancini
Christian Jimenez- Stephen Davis
Matthew Sredl

Aidan Campbell
Xavier Medina
compared to last years team that had some real top talent, this squad will struggle a bit like Bonney said.

I know I was absolutely burnt on Luke Kirwan a few years back, but I would absolutely have to think his brother Ryan Kirwan would be here - tore it up for Little Caesars this past season..he would make my squad. I think you got most of the right names there so far, though not to nitpick but Schingoethe for me would be the #1C here if you were trying to make a lineup.

Overall shallow birth year which has been my fear as the USNDP group is a bit underwhelming and looking at this list outside of 3-4 names, I just don't see much top 90 pick NHL talent here yet..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I’ve been trying to figure out what the US team might look like... it’s real thin, do you think this would be a realistic projection for them?

Jack Williams

Matthew Sredl

Aidan Campbell
Xavier Medina

You'll see quite a few names from the U17 Five Nations roster last summer. You can find the team's stats here.

I think you have most of the right names, although I think we'll see more guys from Shattuck St. Mary's. A guy like Mackie Samoskevich is probably close to a lock and was on the Five Nations team, as was David Ma. There's also Artem Shlaine, a USA/RUS dual who outscored Samsokevich on the SSM Prep team, was a high pick for Owen Sound, and is committed to BU. He was at the Select 16s, had a lot of points, but didn't make the Five Nations team for whatever reason. I haven't seen him play but the little I've read of him is that he's pretty skilled and seems to be thought of highly by the NCAA and OHL, so I think he'll be under a lot of consideration as well.

Right now from your list, Karpa and Davis won't be on the team as they're not on the USAH Select 17 Player Development Camp roster. Unless they're missing because they have a legitimate reason (i.e. injury or a substantial outside obligation), USAH will only choose players from the camp roster.

Karpa's an odd one as he got a decent amount of games with the NTDP U17 this season as a replacement player but he has no history of participating in the Player Development Camps as he wasn't at the Select 15s or 16s either. Sometimes certain players/families just never bother (Jack and Quinn Hughes and the '03/04 Lucius brothers are prominent examples) but Karpa's twin is at Select 17 Camp. Zakary didn't participate at the Michigan Select 17 Player Development Camp either, so it's not like he tried and wasn't chosen.

Last year's Five Nations team finished in 3rd place, the 2nd worst finish of all time in that tournament for Team USA. The '02 birth year isn't strong for USAH and their performance at that tournament doesn't lend a lot of optimism for them at the Hlinka. It is interesting though in that the U17 Five Nations isn't always a great indicator of how they'll do at the Hlinka. Team USA only missed out on 1st in the Five Nations 5 times and yet those same age groups have gone on to do alright at the Hlinka:
  • 2007/2008: Five Nations (2nd), Hlinka (7th)
  • 2008/2009: Five Nations (2nd), Hlinka (4th)
  • 2009/2010: Five Nations (3rd), Hlinka (2nd)
  • 2014/2015: Five Nations (2nd), Hlinka (5th)
  • 2018/2019: Five Nations (3rd), Hlinka (TBD)
The Five Nations team was also notably missing two guys (Hayes, Keane) at minimum in hindsight you'd think should have been on the team after how they acquitted themselves in the OHL, in addition to two of their three best forwards:
  • Stranges, who didn't show up to the Select 16 after all the brouhaha after he bailed on his NTDP commitment and thus wasn't eligible.
  • Schingoethe, who was injured, and thus not at the camp or eligible for the team. He turned down an NTDP invite but that never causes issues with USAH like signing and then bailing does.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Jack Williams

Matthew Sredl

Aidan Campbell
Xavier Medina

Add Kunz and Shlaine.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Brankáři (4):
Jan Bednář (Karlovy Vary), Nick Malík (Třinec), Pavel Čajan (Liberec), Jakub Málek (Vsetín).

Obránci (12):
Filip Kovář, Jan Hampl (oba Liberec), Ondřej Baláž (Litvínov), Dominik Vacík (Mladá Boleslav), Václav Svach (České Budějovice), Stanislav Svozil(Kometa Brno), Marek Bláha (Sparta Praha), Daniel Malák, Vladimír Kremláček (oba Plzeň), Michal Hrádek (Pardubice), Tadeáš Talafa (Zlín), Jakub Hamšík (Lidingö Vikings, Švédsko).

Útočníci (19):
Štěpán Macháček, Pavel Matěj (oba Třinec), Jan Cikhart (Liberec), Jan Myšák (Litvínov), Ivan Ivan (Vítkovice), Tomáš Chlubna (Jihlava), Tobiáš Handl (Olomouc), Michal Gut, Stanislav Vrhel, Josef Koláček (všichni Chomutov), Michal Simon (Mladá Boleslav), Pavel Novák (České Budějovice), Jakub Malý, Erik Meluzín (oba Kometa Brno), Jakub Konečný(Sparta Praha), Sebastián Malát (Plzeň), Dominik Luža (Zlín), Dominik Binias (Fribourg-Gottéron, Švýcarsko), Michal Rouha (Pardubice).

Where is Pytlik?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brankáři (4):
Jan Bednář (Karlovy Vary), Nick Malík (Třinec), Pavel Čajan (Liberec), Jakub Málek (Vsetín).

Obránci (12):
Filip Kovář, Jan Hampl (oba Liberec), Ondřej Baláž (Litvínov), Dominik Vacík (Mladá Boleslav), Václav Svach (České Budějovice), Stanislav Svozil(Kometa Brno), Marek Bláha (Sparta Praha), Daniel Malák, Vladimír Kremláček (oba Plzeň), Michal Hrádek (Pardubice), Tadeáš Talafa (Zlín), Jakub Hamšík (Lidingö Vikings, Švédsko).

Útočníci (19):
Štěpán Macháček, Pavel Matěj (oba Třinec), Jan Cikhart (Liberec), Jan Myšák (Litvínov), Ivan Ivan (Vítkovice), Tomáš Chlubna (Jihlava), Tobiáš Handl (Olomouc), Michal Gut, Stanislav Vrhel, Josef Koláček (všichni Chomutov), Michal Simon (Mladá Boleslav), Pavel Novák (České Budějovice), Jakub Malý, Erik Meluzín (oba Kometa Brno), Jakub Konečný(Sparta Praha), Sebastián Malát (Plzeň), Dominik Luža (Zlín), Dominik Binias (Fribourg-Gottéron, Švýcarsko), Michal Rouha (Pardubice).

Where is Pytlik?

Late 2001 so not eligible for the Hlinka.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Here's an early guess at the Canadian roster, even though no camp roster has been released yet (usually late July, early August it is released).

Jake Neighbours - Quinton Byfield - Cole Perfetti
Will Cuylle - Hendrix Lapierre - Mavrik Bourque
Jacob Perreault - Jean Luc Foudy - Connor McClennon
Stephen Halliday - Josh Lawrence - Ozzy Wiesblatt
Justin Sourdif

Jamie Drysdale - Jeremie Poirier
Lukas Cormier - Kaiden Guhle
Daemon Hunt - Ryan O'Rourke
Lleyton Moore

Dylan Garand
Tristan Lennox

HM's
Charlie Desroches
William Villeneuve
Carter Savoie
Luke Prokop
Owen Power
Ridly Greig
Evan Vierling
Seth Jarvis

Reactions: Dominance

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Here's an early guess at the Canadian roster, even though no camp roster has been released yet (usually late July, early August it is released).

Justin Sourdif

Lleyton Moore

Dylan Garand
Tristan Lennox

HM's
Charlie Desroches
William Villeneuve
Carter Savoie
Luke Prokop
Owen Power
Ridly Greig
Evan Vierling
Seth Jarvis

I think that that is very close to what it could look like as well

I would add Mavrik Bourque, Theo Rochette and Tyler Tullio. as players that should be added to the HM forward group

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I think that that is very close to what it could look like as well

I would add Mavrik Bourque, Theo Rochette and Tyler Tullio. as players that should be added to the HM forward group

I've got Bourque in there, playing the wing though (one of these centers is going to have to shift).

As for Rochette, he played at last year's Hlinka with Switzerland. So I am just assuming that he will do so again. I know he played for Canada at the U17's, but just an assumption here.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I've got Bourque in there, playing the wing though (one of these centers is going to have to shift).

As for Rochette, he played at last year's Hlinka with Switzerland. So I am just assuming that he will do so again. I know he played for Canada at the U17's, but just an assumption here.

Sorry missed Bourque, and you may be right about Rochette playing again for the Swiss.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

According to this article Rochette will like play for Canada moving forward
Coming to Canada

Reactions: Dominance and Brock

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Too bad, that our recently drafted supertalents(Slavomir Lener and Tomas Kral said that) Martin Hugo Has, Matej Blumel and Michal Teply are too old to participate, :/

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Too bad, that our recently drafted supertalents(Slavomir Lener and Tomas Kral said that) Martin Hugo Has, Matej Blumel and Michal Teply are too old to participate, :/

Not a good draft... I'm amazed we got to 7! Has fell like a stone but it does seem Washington wanted him as they traded for the pick to get him! 2 went to my Oiler's so there is that. I admit I'd never heard of Mazura.

Hoping Pytlik and Mysak slowly rise up the rankings for next year.. notice no D, again.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Justin Sourdif

Lleyton Moore

Dylan Garand
Tristan Lennox

HM's
Charlie Desroches
William Villeneuve
Carter Savoie
Luke Prokop
Owen Power
Ridly Greig
Evan Vierling
Seth Jarvis

Camp roster is out.

2019 National Men's Summer Under-18 Selection Camp Roster

Surprised to see no Stephen Halliday or Josh Lawrence.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Justin Sourdif

Lleyton Moore

Dylan Garand
Tristan Lennox

HM's
Charlie Desroches
William Villeneuve
Carter Savoie
Luke Prokop
Owen Power
Ridly Greig
Evan Vierling
Seth Jarvis

I think Villeneuve would make it above Cormier from the Q. Also think Patrick Guay should make the team.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I think Villeneuve would make it above Cormier from the Q. Also think Patrick Guay should make the team.

Anything can happen, but Hockey Canada had Cormier on the Preliminary U18 camp roster (for this year's U18's just last April) over Villenueve, which leads me to believe that as of right now...they like him better.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007

Justin Sourdif

Lleyton Moore

Dylan Garand
Tristan Lennox

HM's
Charlie Desroches
William Villeneuve
Carter Savoie
Luke Prokop
Owen Power
Ridly Greig
Evan Vierling
Seth Jarvis

Would have Sebrango ahead of Moore on D

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
2019 National Men's Summer Under-18 Selection Camp Roster

No Lawrence, Savoie, Halliday (possibly could've declined as I believe he is a dual).

Matthew Savoie?? Can you name one time when Hockey Canada has taken a double underager to the Hlinka tournament? I know they took Veleno as an underager 1 year, but that didn't work out too well. Hockey Canada pretty much exclusively sticks with the birth year for the Hlinka tournament. in this case, it's the 02s kick at the can.

If reports are accurate and he plays as many WHL games as some are predicting, and performs well, then give him a shot with the U18 team in the spring. if available, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad