News Article: Hitch wants to return as head coach next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nelson relied a lot more heavily on his vets than Woodcroft is. Mind you, the kids Woodcroft has are a lot better than what Nelson had.
True but Nelson also didn't put prospects in situations to play well. He was focused on winning games period.

Woodcroft has put all his guys in positions to succeed and in return, the players have succeeded and the team is better than anything Nelson had.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Just a side point, and I find stuff like this annoying in general, but Commentary like Spittin Chiclets is giving a sour point to hockey and to team sport and allegiance to coaching as well. When no class asshats like Reaves can go on that program and talk about "fat ass Hitchcock" again and get support for the kind of viewpoint that would say something like that or think its funny, or right, to say, and mock a coach on that basis it just dials up the massive disrespect that todays players have for coaches, managers, fans, orgs, in general. For awhile hockey was fairly immune to this nature of asshattery but thanks to *****ebags like Ryan Whitney its a regular dialog of disrespect now.

Its easy for anbody to disrespect authority. But if you do that is there ever a question that the person making the insults is better? Would anybody even HAVE Whitney, or Reaves as a coach? Theres limited reasons why anybody ever had them as players. You add the Wideman stuff and several other NHL incidents, even Spooner, and mouthing off about coaches, defying them, insulting them seems well ingrained now. Overall that is really ****ty because it only insures that fans see worse product as players do their own thing, assume they are better, and like rich little kids make sport of the Peons teaching them. Like some Ivy league brats. Not a good look for Pro sports players anywhere. Its disappointing the NHLPA is taking up that look. Its more disappointing fans are supporting much like Spittin Chiclets without realizing its devolving authority within the NHL game.

91sn32Q.jpg

Reactions: fresh meat

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Hitchcock isnt the problem with the Oilers, its the roster.

That being said, I dont think hes the right fit for this team moving forward.

Hitchcock isn't the reason the #1 goalie has a .908 s% or that they don't have middle 6 scoring. I would almost hate to bring in a new guy if they are running with Koskinen full time. He is feast or famine which is better than all famine like Talbot but still seems like they need more.

They need several manpower changes to give any new guy a chance at success. The key vets play well for Hitch so if they are healthy this really isn't a bad team. When the young Condors start coming that could all change but maybe they wait for the new GM to do some personnel adjustments first. Not if they miss out on their ideal coach of course but is the a Gallant or a Trotz out there? The closest thing to that is Joel Q and I think he will have a lot of less stressful options that will still pay him Babcock money. The biggest reason to add a new coach is to maybe just get the uncertainty over with, but what happens if they start slow next season?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
One could argue that. But if you up the season Drai has been ripping up the NHL since around December 6, 2018. As he stated, he is a slow starter.

Drai has had 30G 35A 65pts in the last 47GP starting December 7, which is just insane. He's been the hottest player in the league, but the hot streak he's on started well before Hitchcock. I really think its just Drai getting on a roll and continuing.

The Hilarious thing is Spector got Hitchcock to call Draisaitl out due to one bad game DURING the hottest run any player was having. That might be Hitch's silliest moment. tbh Drai is playing the same way before and after. I can't say Hitch has had much impact on him.

Then considering the rest of the team. How much impact is Hitchcock really having with lack of progress of this team? If Drai can go out there and play his game with no interference affecting his game, then you can evaluate the lack of results from the rest of the team that the blame should be on the players and not on Hitch, right?
Hitch is known to be a more tight defensive coach, but if the defence has worsen under his watch, then he is definitely at fault because he interfering on how they should play? or are they like Drai, playing their game without any interference from Hitch? Which one is it?
I think Hitch should be praised for the good things that he has done as well with all his criticisms.
Hitch came on to re-valuate the team. Was it a coaching problem or a team problem. We know the answer that it is the team that Chia built is the problem. I doubt another coach would of gotten better results with this roster.
If we get a new coach next year, I'm fine with it, I guess people need the novelty of something new. But if this team had a balanced roster with actual NHL talent. No doubt we would be in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hitchcock isn't the reason the #1 goalie has a .908 s% or that they don't have middle 6 scoring. I would almost hate to bring in a new guy if they are running with Koskinen full time. He is feat or famine which is better than all famine like Talbot. They need manpower changes to give any new guy a chance at success. The key vets play well for Hitch so if they are healthy this really isn't a bad team. When the young Condors start coming that could all change but maybe they wait for the new GM to do some personnel adjustments first. Not if they miss out on their ideal coach of course but is the a Gallant or a Trotz out there? The closest thing to that is Joel Q and I think he will have a lot of less stressful options that will still pay him Babcock money.
Koskinen isn't even really that big of an issue. For starters he is making around 20 in salary and is ranked around 20th for starters in stats too. And thats even with his rough glove hand and the teams massive defensive breakdowns.

The team either needs to massively improve our defense, or improve our forward core offensively and possession wise to take stress off our defense to make them less overworked.

Reactions: Cypress

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Figured that would be the response. But I didn't grow up in a generation raised specifically to troll. Spittin Chiclets is that all day, its all it is. Why would anybody want more of Bissonette, or Whitney, or Reaves, or Avery's viewpoint. Being caustic is funny once in awhile. But 100;s of podcasts with that constant tone? I dunno, don't see the appeal. I'm not the demographic for sure. I'd prefer to just see them punched in the face some more. I'm not so nice either I guess..;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Then considering the rest of the team. How much impact is Hitchcock really having with lack of progress of this team? If Drai can go out there and play his game with no interference affecting his game, then you can evaluate the lack of results from the rest of the team that the blame should be on the players and not on Hitch, right?
Hitch is known to be a more tight defensive coach, but if the defence has worsen under his watch, then he is definitely at fault because he interfering on how they should play? or are they like Drai, playing their game without any interference from Hitch? Which one is it?
I think Hitch should be praised for the good things that he has done as well with all his criticisms.
Hitch came on to re-valuate the team. Was it a coaching problem or a team problem. We know the answer that it is the team that Chia built is the problem. I doubt another coach would of gotten better results with this roster.

I think the defensive play has improved slightly under Hitch. Its just harder to discern as the whole team is tired. Honestly its probably difficult given the teams tenuous probability of making the show to really dig down in games where the club is outmatched. But the team battles in most of those games, punches themselves out, and then have little for games against weak clubs.

Its hard to gauge the sum effect. But like I say, when the team has applied what Hitch has asked they've been competitive. Not always winning, but in the games. When they completely abandon they get destroyed by STL, Vegas, SJ, albeit those teams have something to do with this team giving up in games like that.

One thing that's clear is playoffs are usually lost or made on the basis of the first 2mths. Teams that are in a spot tend statistically to stay in that spot (Buffalo, Minny are outliers) When Hitch came here realistically I wasn't thinking about a playoff spot with this roster. I was thinking please at least make the remaining segment of the season somewhat watchable and hopefully with the majority of time not being entirely academic. Its somewhat positive that with 7games left we're not mathematically eliminated but that says a lot about the WC conference as well this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MettleMcOiler

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think the defensive play has improved slightly under Hitch. Its just harder to discern as the whole team is tired. Honestly its probably difficult given the teams tenuous probability of making the show to really dig down in games where the club is outmatched. But the team battles in most of those games, punches themselves out, and then have little for games against weak clubs.

Its hard to gauge the sum effect. But like I say, when the team has applied what Hitch has asked they've been competitive. Not always winning, but in the games. When they completely abandon they get destroyed by STL, Vegas, SJ, albeit those teams have something to do with this team giving up in games like that.

You can also say they have shown some dominance in some of those games. But I agree the type of play Hitchcock employs leaves no room for error. Considering how much the team chases the play, the lack of oxygen to the brain would obviously lead to far too many brain farts.
I agree with some quotes I've read about this team before "we just don't have the horses to compete". You can see which players rose to the top and which ones struggled. But, again, I think it is just simply the lack of skill, not will. I think these players are playing their heart out, they just can't compensate from the skill chia traded from the team. Too many points left and practically nothing to fill the void.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I have always been a Hitchcock fan. Still am.

But is this GM search utter BS and as predestined as many figure? Is KG already in?
I mean what the hell ever happened to the GM naming his coach? And others? Is that only some requisite of .... like, 28 or 29 teams?

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I like hitch but don’t believe he should be head coach next yr. but let’s be honest the coach for the past decade has not been the big problem the roster has. Doesn’t matter who we bring in for coach next yr without changing the roster we’re not going anywhere above a .500 hockey team.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
True but Nelson also didn't put prospects in situations to play well. He was focused on winning games period.

Woodcroft has put all his guys in positions to succeed and in return, the players have succeeded and the team is better than anything Nelson had.

nelly had nowhere near the team that woody currently does. he overused the vets (a crazy thing to do considering the prospect depth he had to work with pfft) but doing so gave those prospects at least a sniff at the post season. The simple fact he was able to get the dysfunctional dallas eakins oilers to all pull on the same rope at the end of a sewer'd season was impressive. plus you gotta love the guys interviews and his hit em with everything in the arsenal attitude.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Completely wrong context imo.

Tbh I have called out said poster for this (and I have been called out for it myself) but saying in essence that a Reaves calling Hitchcock very derogative names is old man yelling at cloud is ridiculous. It's rude, inappropriate and just extremely bad manners.

Is not appreciating someone calling one of the most successful NHL coaches all time "fat ass Hitchcock" old timer stuff? No, it's f***ing common decency. And no, I won't be yelling at the clouds tomorrow...

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think hitch is not the problem but he is neither the solution. I think we need to look forward and Hitch really isn't long term. It almost seems at times the team knows it too. The next coach needs to be hired by the new GM and president of hockey operations.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I really don't see our new GM, whoever it is, wanting to bring back Hitch.

Him wanting to be back is irrelevant.
I could see him getting a single year while they look for his replacement. Give the new GM to see what he has and figure out exactly what he wants as a coach. Unless a no brainer is available in the off season.

Reactions: Cypress

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I thought it was a great idea to give him a go as interim coach. Shouldn't be anything more than that. The oilers are so out of touch though they will probably continue to build this team like it's 2002. The oilers have zero idea how to be ahead of the game.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Doesn’t matter who’s behind the bench

Change has to start with the roster

We've cycled the entire roster like four or five times in the last decade plus. Lowe, Mact, and Howson have all been there for ever though, most of this team's rot is because of them.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just a side point, and I find stuff like this annoying in general, but Commentary like Spittin Chiclets is giving a sour point to hockey and to team sport and allegiance to coaching as well. When no class asshats like Reaves can go on that program and talk about "fat ass Hitchcock" again and get support for the kind of viewpoint that would say something like that or think its funny, or right, to say, and mock a coach on that basis it just dials up the massive disrespect that todays players have for coaches, managers, fans, orgs, in general. For awhile hockey was fairly immune to this nature of asshattery but thanks to *****ebags like Ryan Whitney its a regular dialog of disrespect now.

Its easy for anbody to disrespect authority. But if you do that is there ever a question that the person making the insults is better? Would anybody even HAVE Whitney, or Reaves as a coach? Theres limited reasons why anybody ever had them as players. You add the Wideman stuff and several other NHL incidents, even Spooner, and mouthing off about coaches, defying them, insulting them seems well ingrained now. Overall that is really ****ty because it only insures that fans see worse product as players do their own thing, assume they are better, and like rich little kids make sport of the Peons teaching them. Like some Ivy league brats. Not a good look for Pro sports players anywhere. Its disappointing the NHLPA is taking up that look. Its more disappointing fans are supporting much like Spittin Chiclets without realizing its devolving authority within the NHL game.
I couldn’t agree with this more. I’m baffled that podcast is so popular. Outside of the episode that Taylor Hall was on where I really wanted to hear what he had to say, I can’t get more than ten minutes into any of them and I’ve tried several times. Even then I feel dumber just having heard what I’ve heard.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe I’m missing something. I was certain the organization said he was only signed for the remainder of this season and they would re-evaluate at the end of the year. The only thing I remember as a certainty for next year was if the team made the playoffs. Now they’re saying he was given a three year deal? Like I said in a different thread, this organization had no clue what honesty and credibility is. I’ve got nothing against Hitchcock and I can’t even say if I’d be for or against him coming back next year. I just can understand the wisdom in regularly misleading the fans.

If I remember right, it was discussed at one point on the Saturday broadcast...I believe it was John Shannon who said it. As Joe Stevens said, hired to coach until the end of the season and then after...who the hell knows.

This begs the question, did Nicholson extend him I wonder or was this the original deal when numbnutz brought him aboard and this was charaded about with their "re-evaluate at seasons end". If it's the latter, I personally don't care if they shuffle him into consulting or whatever but just be honest and up front about his term instead of being shady.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad