News Article: Hitch wants to return as head coach next year.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
TBH, I don't really care as long as our roster is improved. I don't love Hitchcock, but he definitely isn't part of the problem.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I doubt it. I think he'll stay with the organization but not in a coaching role.

The Oilers finally released his term...he's under contract for two more seasons in some capacity with the team so it'll depend if the new PoHO and GM want to keep him (as coach) or reassign him.

WIOiler

Apr 19, 2017
I want a younger, more modern coach. I don't think the players like playing for him at all. New GM, new coach, and new attitude. They don't seem to play that hard for Hitch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was a lot of talk the team quit listening to him and that he was too hard on the players. Did he change his ways?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
upload_2019-3-25_7-7-26.jpeg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
"I think Edmonton has totally enjoyed the opportunity to see Hitch at work trying to get as much as he could possibly get out of this failing and flailing team.".

Jones is completely out of touch (fits right in with this organization).
It has been an absolute nightmare watching this team under Hitch, just as bad if not worse than the Eakins years which I didn't think was possible. No Terry, Edmonton is not totally enjoying this.

Hitch has been (has been, past tense) a great coach in this league and I do enjoy his pressers and feel his passion when discussing this team and market but if he's coaching this team next season, I might have to take a year off from watching Oilers hockey.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think the game has passed him by a bit too much to keep him as HC. Adviser position is probably a better fit. In general we need to let the next POHO/GM decide.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"I think Edmonton has totally enjoyed the opportunity to see Hitch at work trying to get as much as he could possibly get out of this failing and flailing team.".

It has been an absolute nightmare watching this team under Hitch, just as bad if not worse than the Eakins years which I didn't think was possible. No Terry, Edmonton is not totally enjoying this.

Hitch has been (has been, past tense) a great coach in this league and I do enjoy his pressers and feel his passion when discussing this team and market but if he's coaching this team next season, I might have to take a year off from watching Oilers hockey.
I guarantee the day Hitch is announced as not being here, Jones has an article about how he wasn't a good fit.

Oct 15, 2008

Win% under Dallas Eakins .363
Win% under Hitchcock .500

One of these isn’t like the other.

Better back off the bs a bit.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Back off the bs? Come on man, no need for that.

Eakins didn't have McDavid and Draisaitl, 2 players who I think make a bit of difference.
I'm not endorsing Eakins by any means but Hitch isn't the answer here, game has passed him by. I have no interest in watching Hitch hockey next season.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have no problem with Hitchcock coming back next season. There are many occasions though this past season that I've come away with completely different impressions from games than most others on here, so I am not surprised others want him gone. I think he got dealt a very tough hand and dealt with it decently. Of course there have been some hiccups along the way but I wouldn't put that down as problem with the coach.

I would honestly not mind seeing him get a full summer/TC with this team instead of just finishing this with a season in which he jumped out of retirement to coach a free falling Oilers with very little player material to work with. He's probably bottom three for me if you ask me why the season has gone the way it did.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

We would have been around .500 with Eakins if McDavid and Draisaitl were on the team at the time. Those 2 can win a bunch of games on their lonesome.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hitchcock isnt the problem with the Oilers, its the roster.

That being said, I dont think hes the right fit for this team moving forward.

Reactions: dustrock

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Back off the bs? Come on man, no need for that.

Eakins didn't have McDavid and Draisaitl, 2 players who I think make a bit of difference.
I'm not endorsing Eakins by any means but Hitch isn't the answer here, game has passed him by. I have no interest in watching Hitch hockey next season.

I get you don't like Hitchcock and you have been clear on the reasons for it, but Eakins is another level of bad.
Eakins took a bad team and made it much worse. He had two full seasons with summers, TCs, etc to work with the team, get them to play decently, and give feedback on roster moves. Miserable failure on all of the above.

He had the team on pace for 18 W for the season, 1 W in his last month, when he got fired. I don't know where that stacks up historically, but I am guessing it would not be that far off from the worst season ever.

McD and Drai makes a whole lot of difference, but that team had Perron, Hall, Eberle, Petry and Schultz, all of which I have been told would be the best at their respective positions if playing on the 18/19 Oilers. Some here would probably also add Yakupov to that group.

Last edited:

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Hell no. Not the guy to nurture/develop and bring confidence to young skilled players this team desperately needs. He still plays Lucic with Mcdavid. Fired

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Was surprised to hear that he was given a contract with a few years on it, thought chia said hitch is in to coach out the year only?

Perhaps more evidence that Chia wasn't given as much freedom as he thought he had? Maybe they brought in Hitchcock and Chia got talked into the multi year contract with the idea that he'd find a new coach in the offseason, but surprise surprise the OBC is just gonna take the easy way you and give Hitchcock another go, which will of course be a mistake. I didn't mind bringing him in to finish out the year, but jesus he isn't the guy who go with from here on out. Time for a new age coach who trusts young players to play their game rather than making them earn their spots in less than 10 minutes of icetime. That's the way the NHL is going. Build people up rather than the bullshit prove you don't ever make a mistake before getting a chance crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad