News Article: Hitch wants to return as head coach next year.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah Hitch has been okay, but there's still been some questionable lineup and deployment decisions. The Oilers need a progressive coach who plays an attacking system made for today's NHL, and FFS somebody who isn't blender happy. Obviously a sub par forward group and a lack of puck moving D is going to limit any coach's game plan, but clearly an issue as the year went on was a lack of chemistry in the bottom six which could have been handled better from a line combination perspective. The GDTs often had better lineup options than what McLellan/Hitch threw out there, and I'm tired of seeing a guy play a good game one night and be in the press box the next game.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'd be alright with hitch coaching here next season. He may be older but I think the long term effect he can have on the younger players will be a net positive. The few offensive weapons we have are still producing at elite rates. If the roster can some how be improved for next season I feel hitch will get those better results out of the team.

The new POHO/GM will want his own coach but it would have to be his choice to allow hitch to continue coaching next season (and taking the year to get his permanent choice). Or bring in his own guy in the summer.

Reactions: Cypress

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Koskinen isn't even really that big of an issue. For starters he is making around 20 in salary and is ranked around 20th for starters in stats too. And thats even with his rough glove hand and the teams massive defensive breakdowns.

The team either needs to massively improve our defense, or improve our forward core offensively and possession wise to take stress off our defense to make them less overworked.
Does a 20th rank for starters get you in the playoffs?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
but who exactly are these great young coaches?
Five pages and counting. Apparently nobody knows the answer to this question .

This is a .500 roster. Many of us said so at the outset of the season. Hitchcock is not a miracle worker, I agree, but folks suggesting the game has ‘passed him by’ sound like they’re just repeating something they heard in TV.

The point that bothers me, and others have touched on it, is why bother talking about the coach when we know the team is going to have a new GM next season? I am strongly against a new GM having any coach, or other staff, forced on him. These rumblings about Hitchcock staying on behind the bench next season have me very worried that the team is going to go with Gretzky as the next GM. Nicholson, Gretzky and Hitchcock ... how is that a change? But fwiw, I think Hitchcock is the most competent of the three at his job.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McLlelland was 9-10 when he was fired.
Hitchcock is 24-24 w/l.

It’s not the coach. At least not a large proportion. Saying that, I think Hitch should enjoy retirement and have some glasses of red wine on his back deck. his deployment of personnel, lack of buy in by the players, and questionable in game management lead me to believe he is not the right choice going forward.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
What if the new GM is Keith Gretzky and he’s hired to keep everything the same?

Honestly .... Do u really think that they'll hire Keith as GM?
I get the sense that they are only considering him out of respect.
I don't even get the impression that he wants the job either.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly .... Do u really think that they'll hire Keith as GM?
I get the sense that they are only considering him out of respect.
I don't even get the impression that he wants the job either.
Yes, I do.

The Oilers media people have been trying to warm the fans up to the idea for weeks. Nicholson’s statement about the new GM needing to fit into Oiler culture was worrisome, it guarantees that the new guy needs to accept the managerial structure as it is. That narrows the field of candidates, maybe to the point where Gretzky is the best choice. Nicholson has made comments that seem to suggest the organization has made its mind up already about things that the next GM should be deciding. Most recently it was about Reider’s future with the club but there have been others.

Great Question about whether or not Gretzky even wants the job. I’ve asked it myself. You’d think he’d realize his NHL career will be over when he fails here and he is being set up to fail here. I suspect the job is his if he wants it but him turning it down would be an interesting wrinkle.

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
No, please. He is not a coach for the new NHL, he might not be the biggest problem, but he is a problem and yeah the roster is bad, but so it was under Eakins, does that excuse him too?... We need fresh blood in touch with the modern NHL, no more dinosaurs. Look at Arizona. And I do think asking people on a forum who that might be is stupid, it's not our job, there are many people in a pro hockey organization who get paid to know that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No, please. He is not a coach for the new NHL, he might not be the biggest problem, but he is a problem and yeah the roster is bad, but so it was under Eakins, does that excuse him too?... We need fresh blood in touch with the modern NHL, no more dinosaurs. Look at Arizona. And I do think asking people on a forum who that might be is stupid, it's not our job, there are many people in a pro hockey organization who get paid to know that.

i don't disagree....but i think there is also a reason they have gone eakins to tmac to hitch....

the league does not spoon feed the oilers powerplays, or more importantly....space on the ice.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if there could be an agreement with Woodcroft and Ken so that Ken is the HC next season and then Jay takes over the reigns the following season? IMO it all depends on if the players have already had their fill of Hitch or if they'd be willing to give him a full season next season.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
What if the new GM is Keith Gretzky and he’s hired to keep everything the same?
tenor.gif

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if there could be an agreement with Woodcroft and Ken so that Ken is the HC next season and then Jay takes over the reigns the following season? IMO it all depends on if the players have already had their fill of Hitch or if they'd be willing to give him a full season next season.
As nervous as this would make me, I think it’s a possibility. I wouldn’t want to see Woodcroft here at all next season or even the one after that. But, if he could have two more decent years in Bakersfield I might be able to get behind that. I’m not sure that Hitchcock has two more years in him though and that’s where this falls apart for me.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
At this point, isn't it blatantly obvious that the issues with this team are due to the roster and not any coaching? I mean, I called that this season was going to be shit in the off-season just seeing all the NON-moves Chia made. Hitch ain't the issue, in fact he gets a lot out of this team when the defence isn't riddled with injuries and AHL level. Once healthy, the D is still only barely passable at the NHL level and he still finds a way to eek some wins out for us. I like his philosophy on the game, I like how Drai and McDavid are better 200 foot players than they've ever been while still being able to produce at clips higher than they've ever produced. Maybe it's Hitch, maybe it's just McDrai being good. But there's other signs too, like Kassian who's hit another level under Hitch, and it was apparent right when Hitch got here that Kass was liking how much his type of game was being valued.

That being said, for MOST of the Hitch era the offence was still garbage... tough to pin on the coach when the players are so bad though. Also, I feel like Hitch's true positive effect was hampered by the front office mandate of PLAY TALBOT so we have a chance to get some value back for him (which was a dumb plan).

I don't know, I'd like to see Hitch given another shot. I fear whatever joker the Oilers management would pick otherwise.

Reactions: Cypress and LaGu

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As nervous as this would make me, I think it’s a possibility. I wouldn’t want to see Woodcroft here at all next season or even the one after that. But, if he could have two more decent years in Bakersfield I might be able to get behind that. I’m not sure that Hitchcock has two more years in him though and that’s where this falls apart for me.

I suspect that this season will put Woodcroft on the NHL map as a HC. He was supposedly already highly regarded as a young up and coming coach and this season will only boost his value as a potential HC.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
At this point, isn't it blatantly obvious that the issues with this team are due to the roster and not any coaching? I mean, I called that this season was going to be **** in the off-season just seeing all the NON-moves Chia made. Hitch ain't the issue, in fact he gets a lot out of this team when the defence isn't riddled with injuries and AHL level. Once healthy, the D is still only barely passable at the NHL level and he still finds a way to eek some wins out for us. I like his philosophy on the game, I like how Drai and McDavid are better 200 foot players than they've ever been while still being able to produce at clips higher than they've ever produced. Maybe it's Hitch, maybe it's just McDrai being good. But there's other signs too, like Kassian who's hit another level under Hitch, and it was apparent right when Hitch got here that Kass was liking how much his type of game was being valued.

That being said, for MOST of the Hitch era the offence was still garbage... tough to pin on the coach when the players are so bad though. Also, I feel like Hitch's true positive effect was hampered by the front office mandate of PLAY TALBOT so we have a chance to get some value back for him (which was a dumb plan).

I don't know, I'd like to see Hitch given another shot. I fear whatever joker the Oilers management would pick otherwise.
Agree 100%. I mean I have not problem with a coach change, but I do think that the grass is not always greener just because some teams have had success with younger coaches. Then as you say, the big issue is really your last sentence. I have little to no faith that these guys will be able to identify the attributes of a good coach if he hasn't a long record.

I must add though that all this talk about being dinosaur etc to me seems to be based on his age and some of his past. I think he is a coach that seems to learn as he goes to be honest and he is open to the fact that the NHL and players have changed. That was why he was letting the assistant coaches run some practices, to see how the players responded and get some new ideas. Some things he is not budging on, like how to behave playing D (not only defencemen) and without the puck. I do think that when the team played the way that he has been talking about they have been pretty good, defending the lines instead of backing down.

Reactions: Cypress

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I suspect that this season will put Woodcroft on the NHL map as a HC. He was supposedly already highly regarded as a young up and coming coach and this season will only boost his value as a potential HC.
He needs to repeat it for sure, but I could definitely see him as HC after a couple of more years in Bakersfield. It would depend a bit on how things go next season if Hitchcock stays and has success then I would not be against him staying another season if he wants to.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Yes, I do.

The Oilers media people have been trying to warm the fans up to the idea for weeks. Nicholson’s statement about the new GM needing to fit into Oiler culture was worrisome, it guarantees that the new guy needs to accept the managerial structure as it is. That narrows the field of candidates, maybe to the point where Gretzky is the best choice. Nicholson has made comments that seem to suggest the organization has made its mind up already about things that the next GM should be deciding. Most recently it was about Reider’s future with the club but there have been others.

Great Question about whether or not Gretzky even wants the job. I’ve asked it myself. You’d think he’d realize his NHL career will be over when he fails here and he is being set up to fail here. I suspect the job is his if he wants it but him turning it down would be an interesting wrinkle.

It feels more like Bob is just trying to be respectful and including him in the conversation (to me)
Anyways, not to debate it much more than that ...... It certainly is an option, but we'll see what happens.

I think personally that it would be disappointing after all the "something in the water" comments to see nothing change.
More of the same old ... same old .... if that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad