Post-Game Talk: Hitch puts Koalas on the endangered species list

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Dubs is an NHL goalie. How is it not a legitimate comparison. The other day I stated That Talbot didn't forget how to be a NHL starter in one season and somebody (was it you) mentioned Lucic, as if that was a valid comparison.

I'm only citing how awful the Minny goaltending was because people so often use the word "terrible" in describing Talbot. Terrible is what Minny saw last night between their pipes. We've seen nothing like that this season. If you think we have, again, as I asked cite the goals you think that were just as bad.

Afairc Koski shutouts were against a hapless Hawks club and an inconsistent Dallas club. A Dallas club that undressed the same Koskinen in the return match. By and large shutouts shouldn't be used, especially on such limited sample, as differentiating points.

Also important to remember the NHL has very little book on Koskinen. How he survives game films and opponent scouting of tendencies, and how he responds to that will be the measure of his success. By no means can you look at first dozen games as illustrative of what a goalie will ultimately be. An endless list of NHL goalies looked good initially.

The same could be said about Koskinen adjusting to the NHL. He is still learning shooter's tendencies and adjusting to a new ice size. Maybe he gets even better as he gets comfortable in a new league?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Our Guy is back.

ourguy.gif

Hippy bandana guy.....

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Its funny that years later I still dislike him. Was NEVER a fan. Never trusted him between the pipes, would never want to go to playoff war with him. For me it was always the cluster**** moments that caused concern. The exact words Boudreau is using to describe his play. Years later Dubs is still "causing concern" I think he doesn't have a good disposition to be a goalie. still looks rattled by a bad goal. So much so that there is no way I would have left him in after the 2nd goal. How often does he actually recover in a game?
I don't think he gets rattled...I just don't think he cares.
He has the same demeanor whether it's the 1st goal against him or 7....he has that 'Oh Well" manner about him.
if I could think of a word that describes him? it would be dopey.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The same could be said about Koskinen adjusting to the NHL. He is still learning shooter's tendencies and adjusting to a new ice size. Maybe he gets even better as he gets comfortable in a new league?

Only time will tell I guess. Koski is a classic form big goalie that makes a fair amount of size stops and benefits from being able to easily stretch pads to cover entire bottom side. I still think he's susceptible to well placed shots. He'll clean up all day on shots into pads. I would be going up on him. Either side. No need to roof it either, just above pads.

I do think Koski is down a lot, and gets down in advance and stays down more than I would want to see. Same thing people blame Talbot for when Cam is playing too many games.

The think for Koski is how is he going to be able to handle NHL sharpshooting. So far theres very limited book on that. In KHL the best team was in front of him every night.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Dubs is an NHL goalie. How is it not a legitimate comparison. The other day I stated That Talbot didn't forget how to be a NHL starter in one season and somebody (was it you) mentioned Lucic, as if that was a valid comparison.

I'm only citing how awful the Minny goaltending was because people so often use the word "terrible" in describing Talbot. Terrible is what Minny saw last night between their pipes. We've seen nothing like that this season. If you think we have, again, as I asked cite the goals you think that were just as bad.

Afairc Koski shutouts were against a hapless Hawks club and an inconsistent Dallas club. A Dallas club that undressed the same Koskinen in the return match. By and large shutouts shouldn't be used, especially on such limited sample, as differentiating points.

Also important to remember the NHL has very little book on Koskinen. How he survives game films and opponent scouting of tendencies, and how he responds to that will be the measure of his success. By no means can you look at first dozen games as illustrative of what a goalie will ultimately be. An endless list of NHL goalies looked good initially.

You’re lying to yourself if you don’t think that Talbot has had dog shit games this season. Prior to the last few games, Talbot has not looked like an NHL starter. However, He has looked good recently, and I do hope that he keeps it up.

I’m not sure if this is your intention, but there really is no need to bring down koskinen in an attempt to save face for Talbot because A. Talbot just hasn’t been better than koskinen this season, and B. They both play for the oilers.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Yeah, your posts on Talbot overall have been quite fair. I acknowledge my offseason posting on Koskinen was not, but part of that is colored by my feelings on Chia, and another part on how much Talbot was getting the gears here. I consider Talbot as part of the core of this team just like McD, Drai, Nuge, etc feel. Its been nice seeing him get some results and nice to be getting that from both goalies which has been rare here.

I agree that load sharing can be a real means to success. I think the Oilers still give their goalies a lot of work. Even last night there were lots of moments at 3-1 and 4-2 where Talbot had to do a lot to hold the fort. On at least two occasions there were 3 save in a row sequences.

The latter is why I liked the Klefbom penalty so much for grabbing the stick. Sometimes you gotta do something like that to prevent a goal, good penalty to take.

Good post..we want the team to win, anyone that cheers for a player to fail isn't a real fan imo.

Reactions: North and nabob

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
What the ****?

It's awesome seeing Talbot re-gaining form, this team definitely needs that. I'd never ever trust Koskinen with being the starter from here on in, and I am one of the posters who liked this signing from the start and thinks he's doing great.

If they can spilt the work load that would be great.

Shouldn't everyone be happy???
:dunno:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I am the biggest Larsson fan here and I didn't get it :laugh:

I did go back to watch it again to be sure, not seeing what the thing was so I assumed it was some kind of internal joke.

Larsson is still awesome though :thumbu:
Oilers best playoff D by a mile since 05/06 ;)
It's a tiny play that starts with Larsson pinning someone against the wall, some grinding in the corners with a bunch of players happens, and then Larsson weights the perfect little pass for McDavid to blaze away with it and exit the zone.

I mean, McDavid turned it over, but it was just the perfect little play.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: LaGu

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I just watched at 3:15 left in the third and I didn't see anything interesting from Larsson. What am I looking for?
Maybe it's a touch earlier, but it's just a tiny little hard-to-see pass from Larsson to McDavid.

The sequence is puck goes to corner, Larsson pins a player to the boards, there's some generic players battle for puck, McDavid skates away with it and turns it over right before the red.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
What would you call their current record under Hitch and the run that Soundwave was talking about under McLellan. That’s a pretty dominant record.

"If you ignore the times when the team sucks, they look pretty good!"

They need to show more more often and against a better class of opponent before I start to think they're approaching good, never mind "dominant," status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad